Re: Ear Scoop Question

  • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 21, 2007
      > I have been working on making my own ear scoops after seeing the
      > beautiful bone carved ones in the Novgorod exhibit at the Walters in
      > Baltimore. My question is would the man or woman who owned these have
      > kept them on their person? or were they carried in their pouch or
      > just used but not carried around? Anybody know?

      Miniture ear scoops are popular pendants on Ethiopian necklaces.
      Slightly off topic, but interesting nontheless. Today's fun fact.
      :)
      Rosie
    • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2007
        The first picture shows a whole toiletries set suspended from a chatelaine,
        which is very cool btw. So, maybe I can make the assumption that since we
        do have toiletries sets that the single bone scoops could could have been
        worn suspended as well. One of them has a hole for the suspension the other
        does not. I have photographs of them in

        *Drevniaia Novgorod: Prikladnoe Iskusstvo i Arkeologiia (Applied Art and
        Archeology of Ancient Novgorod). Moscow, 1985*

        *Sacred Arts and City Life: The Glory of Medieval Novgorod Walters Art
        Gallery, 2005.*
        Along with line drawings of them in

        *Drevniaia Rus: Byt l Kul'tur*. Moscow, 1997

        I don't recall if the first picture that Sofya sent is in any of those
        books. I guess I will have to check when I get home. I have to preregister
        for my A&S competition and so I'm trying to figure out the category to
        enter...looks like it will probably be accessories versus hand tools.

        Ianuk