Re: New Costume Discussion (Livonian example)

  • petite_moitan
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 13, 2007
      No, no, grumpy posts are quite alright. Most of my posts were done
      under my ADHD hyper-focus sleep deprived mind. I knew that the images
      were mostly re-dos of older drawings, in fact, I even have the
      original drawing of a Prague woman that the history of female fashion
      collection re=draws.
      If I had the funds to, I'd spend them on getting a chance to look
      DIRECTLY at the originals. There's nothing like getting to glance at
      the brush strokes, the depression of lead to the medium's surface, the
      mistakes, the little blots where the paint didn't reach the edging
      line. .. *is a student of the arts, fine, crafts, what have you* I
      recently had the blessing of seeing the original Ukiyo-e paintings, in
      their Japanese silk frames, and the diligence of working with inks on
      such cloth - to make as few mistakes as the artists did was
      breath-taking.

      But also, unfortunately we must consider artistic interpretation
      versus actual reality of constructing what an artist would rather
      draw. Often, I have to make concessions to the reality of what can be
      made versus what I can design. My Gothic harem outfit took quite a
      different shape from my original design, well, in comparison. Even the
      final watercolor I made of the finished garment is different from the
      piece itself. This would be easier if we had more originals of the
      garments, journals of complaints of heavy weights of garments and so
      forth from the ladies and gents who wore the drawn outfits. Wouldn't
      it be great to find a model's daily journal to read their complaints
      about having to stand for the artist, what they changed, and dealing
      their personalities? We could identify "oh, that high collar is just
      so and so's exaggerated style" of the original drawings (not
      interpretations).

      I am unable to find the bibliography of the costume collection. I'm
      e-mailing them to see if they could possibly list it in their reply.
      I'm sorry.

      In an attempt to find the woman's history of fashion collection from
      this site, I just found this:
      http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/explore/dgexplore.cfm?topic=arts&collection=MedievalandRenaissan&col_id=173
      medieval and renaissance illumination. wonder if this will help
      anyone. (I know - it's ~Western~ illumination.)
    • magdalenag56
      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 28, 2007
        I for one would like to hear how to work with the scarce resources I
        and I'm sure others, have to work with instead of wasting so much
        energy on whether it is an acceptable source or not.

        Feel free to email me off list.

        Magdalena