Fabrics - types of velvets

  • petite_moitan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2007
      Hello all.
      I have a question about use of a certain velvet.
      It is a mink velvet - meaning that it's a soft, long-felted cotton
      with a pattern of two strips of different directional fletching
      (correct term?) of the velvet. It's exceptionally soft, it really
      feels like a long-haired cat's coat or an Irish Setter's just washed coat.
      My biggest problem is this: the color.
      It's a delicate pale pink, I suppose is the best way to describe it.
      By looking at Lowe's paint samples, I'd say it's color Lauren's
      Lullaby, A35-2 (CardA35a) from Olympic Paints is the dark rub, and the
      lightest rub is Silk Sheets, D38-1 (cardD38a) from Olympic Paints as well.
      I have almost 5 yards of it. Reason: it was marked down from being
      $29.98 a yard to $5 a yard. . and I was weak after feeling such a
      sublime fabric. (I am a fabrophile, and fortunately work at Joann's. I
      don't have to buy the fabric to touch it every day, I work with it! ^-^)

      Any way, my point is thus: Does anyone know of any animal pelts or
      such that were dyed to be such a color? Even trim on a hand bag? It
      the dye happened, who's to say that someone with enough money didn't
      gush at seeing it and wanted a whole winter coat to be made from it? ;)

      Any help would be much appreciated!

      And check back at the Moravian/Czech clothing for more image links
      that come from the NYPL Digital Gallery after I sifted through their
      879 some-odd "Women's Fashion" category. (Many pages with SCA time
      period related images weren't even chronologically labeled - just
      named " misc.") I'm about to add that post there.

      Christine