Bohemian/Moravian (Czech for the modern name) Costumes

  • petite_moitan
    Message 1 of 36 , May 22, 2007
      Hello SIG!
      Name's Christine Mc Carver.

      I'm new to the Slavic Interest Group, as well as the SCA. I've been
      doing a lot of online research for images of 12th to 14th century
      Moravian or Bohemian costumes. I understand that they were a major
      trading area; and have been trying to find primary resources or
      secondary for reports on who the Moravians (more so than Bohemians)
      would've traded with - what fashions those peoples wore, any
      documents recording doweries, thefts, wills, or just any domestic
      documentation of possessions.
      I've gotten past the "folk costumes"/Oktober fest type of clothing,
      found out about Mongolian , Russian, German, Hungarian, Polish, even
      Italian garb (as Italy was part of the Silk Road as well as being
      the location of the hq for the Holy Roman Empire). But in all my
      searches I couldn't find any primary or secondary documents proving
      that a Moravian, or at least a Bohemian, would have worn. More
      importantly, a middle or lower class female.
      I'm still wading myself through the Czech sites, cesky. I'm not
      verbosly fluent, but I'm learning Czech through this research -
      though a lot of the sites turn out to be dead ends or relics of
      goblets, weapons, wood working, or church oriented art. Most of
      which are also after the time I'd like to learn about.
      (~couldn't find the Essays in Czech History. Betts Reginald, nor
      Gothic Women's Fashion. Sronkova, Olga, nor Medieval Costume,
      Armour, and Weapons. Wagner, Edward. at the local library.~)
      If any one has any advice or direction postts, I'd very much
      appreciate it.

      Thanks and to be here!
      Christine
    • magdalenag56
      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 28, 2007
        I for one would like to hear how to work with the scarce resources I
        and I'm sure others, have to work with instead of wasting so much
        energy on whether it is an acceptable source or not.

        Feel free to email me off list.

        Magdalena