Greetings from a Newcomer!

  • Jenn Reid
    Message 1 of 7 , May 15, 2007
      Greetings All!

      I am new to this group and just wanted to introduce myself. I was so
      thrilled to find out about your existence as I am completely
      fascinated with this part of the world.

      In the SCA, I play a Magyar living in Kiev. I am somewhat new to the
      Society (have been playing about 2 years) and am still having fun with
      the development of my persona. I am thrilled to have found you all as
      I have found good information hard to come by in my research of these
      times and lands.

      I am a fiber junkie and a maker of jewlery and mead, and obsessed with
      all things equestrian, including my own beloved horse, Nik.

      I am also an ex-pat Outlander, now living in the Shire of Dragonsmark,
      Midrealm.

      Hope to met you all soon!

      In Service,
      Lady Annaka Vadas
    • Patoodle@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , May 15, 2007
        Welcome to the list!

        Our first Slavic University will be held in the Midrealm in December. I don't know if I personally am going to it, as mundane travel obligations weigh on my budget during that season, but perchance it won't be too far for you.

        In service,
        Lady Patricia of Trakai
        Barony of Storvik, Atlantia

        I am new to this group and just wanted to introduce myself. I was so
        thrilled to find out about your existence as I am completely
        fascinated with this part of the world.

        In the SCA, I play a Magyar living in Kiev. I am somewhat new to the
        Society (have been playing about 2 years) and am still having fun with
        the development of my persona. I am thrilled to have found you all as
        I have found good information hard to come by in my research of these
        times and lands.

        I am a fiber junkie and a maker of jewlery and mead, and obsessed with
        all things equestrian, including my own beloved horse, Nik.

        I am also an ex-pat Outlander, now living in the Shire of Dragonsmark,
        Midrealm.

        Hope to met you all soon!

        In Service,
        Lady Annaka Vadas

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • magdalenag56
        Message 3 of 7 , May 15, 2007
          To anyone thinking of going to the Slavic U in December and traveling
          from the eastern kingdoms, I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will
          be able to go. I will know around July. I would be willing to hook up
          with any other travelers at maybe an airport to travel to the site
          together.

          Even if you at the stage where you are only hoping to go (like I am)
          feel free to email me privately.

          Panni Magdalena
        • J .M. Reid
          Message 4 of 7 , May 15, 2007
            Thank you my Lady!

            I was hoping to make it to the U. as I am somewhat close, and it looks like it will be a fun time.

            YIS,
            A.

            Patoodle@... wrote: Welcome to the list!

[...]

            "If you have to live two days left to live, get a wife and a horse. If you have one day left to live, get a horse'' ( Central Asian saying).

            Message 5 of 7 , May 21, 2007
              I *MIGHT* get to go. I'm in negotiations about
              vacations w/ work. If I get some time around
              Halloween, then I might be able to make SlavicU. I
              would be flying from Logan Airport Boston OR TF Green
              outside Providence RI.

              We'll tawk.... :D

              --Sfandra

              --- magdalenag56 <magdalenag56@...> wrote:

              > To anyone thinking of going to the Slavic U in
              > December and traveling
              > from the eastern kingdoms, I am keeping my fingers
              > crossed that I will
              > be able to go. I will know around July. I would be
              > willing to hook up
              > with any other travelers at maybe an airport to
              > travel to the site
              > together.
              >
              > Even if you at the stage where you are only hoping
              > to go (like I am)
              > feel free to email me privately.
              >
              > Panni Magdalena

              ******************
              Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
              Haus Von Drakenklaue
              Kingdom of the East
              ******************
              Never 'pearl' your butt.

              ____________________________________________________________________________________Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.
            • Marian Jasper
              Message 6 of 7 , May 21, 2007
                Greetings all!
                I've been lurking on this list for quite some time and the prospect
                of a Slavic U has pulled me right out of lurkdom LOL so I thought I
                would introduce myself.

                I do not have a Slavic persona, my persona is loosely late period
                English but I enjoy exploring many times and cultures. I am
                especially interested in Slavic because I was raised in a fairly
                ethnic Ukrainian home - both of my parents being Ukrainian, first
                generation born in the US. It's funny how when you are young you take
                a lot of this for granted and actually try to get away from it and
                later in life you regret not paying more attention. We were very
                church oriented - Eastern Orthodox, the church being the center of
                much of our social life - Ukrainian School on Saturdays, Ukrainian
                Dance on Wednesday nights. Growing up where and when I did however
                wasn't necessarily conducive to wanting the ethnic part of your life
                to be as prominent. Having a "funny last name" and a religion that
                most people never heard of (we didn't live in the same town where our
                church was located) wasn't easy sometimes. My cousins and friends
                that grew up closer geographically to the church in a more
                traditionally ethnic community had a slightly easier time of it.

                I would love to get back to my "roots." Over my life time I have
                read as much as I can get my hands on about Ukrainian and Russian
                history and culture and since I have been in the SCA (a newbie of
                about 2 years) I have been thrilled to find that there is an interest
                and it seems to be ever growing from what I can see.

                For the last 12 years or so I have also been very involved in my
                son's Jr Tamburitzan group - I don't know how many of you are
                familiar with that type of thing. It's a music, dance and cultural
                group that performs mainly Eastern European Slavic music and dance.
                While many of the groups are rooted in mainly Serbian or Croatian
                culture they do a lot of music and dance from Russian, Ukrainian and
                other Slavic cultures. Duquesne University in Pittsburgh sponsors
                perhaps the best known "Tammie" group and its a goal lots of our Jr.
                group kids aspire to. I've done tons of their costuming over the
                years and it's kept my Slavic interest peaked and I have learned a
                lot and I want to learn a lot more.

                I would love to see some Slavic themed events - I know there are some
                of us in the local group here that are interested and we are thinking
                about getting something going here. I am hoping to be able to attend
                Slavic U, and since I am not very far from the Middle it's very
                likely possibility.

                Thanks to all of you for having this group and I hope to have the
                time to be more of an active participant as time goes on.

                YIS
                Lady Marian of Steltonwald
                Canton of Steltonwald of the Barony-Marche of Debatable Lands, in the
                Sylvan Kingdom of Aethelmearc

                http://stellagrace75.livejournal.com/
              • MARIA JEMICZ