Re: [sig] New to the list...

  • Katherine Barich
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2007
      Hello to Leonessa from another Three Mountains person! My husband is of Croatian descent and I have been doing a bit of research on the clothing and some of the customs of the Croats. It would be fun to talk!

      I know Clark County Library will do Interlibrary loans and I think this gorgeous book will give you a good overview of daily life and customs, as well as information on non-period folk costume... It is full of wonderful color photographs, and while I didn't find in it the "be-all, end-all" of period garb reference (that hasn't been written yet), this book provided a very nice base to begin understanding of Croatian material culture. And it is in ENGLISH. :)

      Title: Croatian folk culture at the crossroads of worlds and eras

      catalog editors, Zorica Vitez, Aleksandra Muraj ; English translation, Nina H. Antoljak ... et al.

      Publisher Zagreb : Gallery Klovicevi dvori, c2000

      Contents:
      Catalog of an exhibition held at the Budapest History Museum, Budapest, January-March 2000
      About the exhibition / Zorica Vitez -- The Croats and their folk culture / Vitomir Belaj -- Hearth and home / Aleksandra Muraj -- Soft furnishings in the rural house / Nerina Eckhel -- Wooden items in rural houses / Zvjezdana Antos -- Sacral wooden architecture in Turopolje / Igor Maroevic -- Patterns of subsistence / Aleksandra Muraj -- Wine-growers and wine-makers / Ivica Sestan -- Weaving and embroidery in gold in lowland Croatia / Ljubica Gligorevic -- Lace in Croatian textile handicrafts / Nerina Eckhel -- Production of children's toys / Iris Biskupic-Basic -- Potters and their products / Mirjana Randic Barlek -- Gingerbread and wax-chandlery handicrafts / Iris Biskupic-Basic -- Clothing / Aleksandra Muraj -- Hairdressing and headgear / Vesna Zoric -- Jewellery in Croatian folk culture and tradition / Sanja Ivancic
      Sub-urban folk costume / Sanja Ivancic -- Weapons, from use to decoration / Silvio Braica -- Rural cuisine / Aleksandra Muraj -- Folk customs / Zorica Vitez -- Symbolic messages on embroidered bed-covers / Zvonimir Toldi -- Easter eggs / Josip Barlek -- Folk artistic expression / Branka Vojnovic -- Decorated gourds / Josip Barlek -- Traditional music / Grozdana Marosevic -- Traditional music instruments / Josko Caleta -- Folk dance / Tvrtko Zebec -- Oral literature / Ljiljana Marks & Ivan Lozica -- Beliefs and rituals / Jadranka Grbic -- From local to national community, peasant social structure / Jasna Capo Zmegac -- The Croatian diaspora / Jadranka Grbic -- A short survey of Croation history / Ela Jurdana

      I think it would be great to get together to talk about garb. Let me know if you're coming to the Grand Thing, I'll try to get some of the stuff I've found together for you :) And hang with the delightful Kseniia too!

      Katherine Barich
      Katrine de Saint Brieuc
      here's a picture of me as a German hausfrau last weekend:
      http://www.rafeneuton.com/sca/20070428%20-%20Bar%20Gemels%20-%20Terra%20Pomaria/images/20070428-Bar_Gemels-054_JPG.jpg

      From: "Kseniia Smolnianina" <kseniia@...>
      Will you be at the Grand Thing?

      >In Service,
      >Kseniia Smol'nianina

      >On 5/3/07, Leonessa <leonessadeforza@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I recently researched my maternal side and discovered that my great
      >> grandfather was born in Croatia and his wife, while born in Wisconsin, her
      >> parents immigrated from Yugoslavia. I'm looking to find out any customs,
      >> recipes from that area even garb suggestions if possible.
    • Leonessa
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2007
        Kseniia,

        Actually, I'm heavily thinking on it... if you happen to know anyone in the Barony of Stromgard...like AElfwyn... I may just be wandering around with her much of the time...

        Leonessa...

        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.~~~~ Dr. Seuss

      • Kseniia Smolnianina
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2007
          It's a fun event - I daytripped it last year, and will be camping this year
          (with my Laurel, Svava in Litla, if you know her).

          I hope to see you there!

          -- Kseniia

          On 5/4/07, Leonessa <leonessadeforza@...> wrote:

          > Kseniia,
          >
          > Actually, I'm heavily thinking on it... if you happen to know anyone in
          > the Barony of Stromgard...like AElfwyn... I may just be wandering around
          > with her much of the time...
          >
          > Leonessa...
          >
          > Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind,
          > and those who mind don't matter.~~~~ Dr. Seuss

          **********************************
          HL Kseniia Smolnianina, JdL
          Barony of Three Mountains
          Kingdom of An Tir

          Think you know me? Take a quiz to find out!
          www.truefriendtest.com/friendtest/60117

        • tennettyhx@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 2007
            Hello there. I am relatively new "lurker" on this group. I too am looking for Croatian information for SCA and family history purposes.

            Here's a neat little site about Croatia's Fort Čanjevo:

            The Praškoci Guardsmen Society
            http://www.praskocijeve-haramije.hr/index_en.html

            Just to keep it "on topic" for this group, here's some Russian reenactor "eye-candy"...

            1242 Chudskoe Lake Battle Reenacment in Pskov

            http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=111329

            .

            Antonia