Re: [sig] hello hello

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 16, 2007
      Greetings Soshka!
      I'd look up Golden Horde decoration or
      architecture for design themes. You could check out
      rarebook.com or bookfinder.com or your state library?
      What kinds of designs were utilized in Sarai?
      The problem will be that crowns for eastern
      personas didn't appear to exist, at least for the
      lower nobility structures. It that rank was more
      defined by colors allowed to be worn or decorations or
      materials. Its very frustrating and leads one to
      suspect that crowns are probably a western/SCA
      convention for ranks below rulers, for us!
      Mordak Timofei'vich Rostovskogo, OL
      --- Sasha <sashavilanov@...> wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I was referred to this list by Paul Wickenden as I
      > was searching for
      > something and had sent him an email and he told me
      > someone in this
      > forum would likely know the information i was
      > looking for. I am
      > searching for some information on Russian Baronial
      > Coronets. I was
      > wondering if anyone might per chance know of any
      > resources where I could
      > look up what they looked like design-wise or if they
      > even existed. I
      > just stepped down from being a Territorial Baron and
      > received my Court
      > Baroncy, so I am eager to commission a coronet of my
      > own but wanted to
      > try to go for something along the lines of my
      > persona.
      >
      > My persona incidently is Russian born Mongolian
      > soldier circa 1320 in
      > the duchy of Moscow, during the reign of Yuriy
      > Danilovich and the
      > Golden Horde.
      >
      > Any help you could give me would be greatly
      > appreciated,
      >
      > Baron Soshka Gregor'evich Vilanov
      > Known as Sasha
      > Kingdom of Trimaris

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Doug Petroshius
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 16, 2007
        I too would be interested in infromation on this as I recently became a
        Baron of the Court.

        ~Gintaras~
        [GIN -tah - rahs]
      • L.M. Kies
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 16, 2007
          Your Excellency, poklon ot Sofya.

          I have to agree with Mordak here. If you're going Russian, there's really no equivalent of a Baronial Coronet. In period art, only the Grand Prince is shown in a crown - often, in our period, he's just in a fur hat.
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/clothingart.html

          I can't think of any crown-like items for the Mongols, not that I claim much expertise there. The folks at the Red Kaganate probably know more:
          http://www.redkaganate.org/

          You may just have to accept that the coronet is a western gift from a western ruler, and use a western design with a touch of Eastern flair.

          You might find some ideas here:
          http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/novgorodpublic.html (big pictures - load slowly)

          K tvoim uslugam,

          Sofya

          Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 16, 2007
            Your Excellency, Soshka and Everyone,
            I've been thinking and I have a couple twisted but
            creative potential remedies for this delimna (sp). Its
            a fact that silver hats abound and even though some
            like yourself and others busted ass to earn theirs,
            its always been a perk and the whim of the Crown
            ultimately. And almost impossible to differentiate
            your hard work from those whose main qualification was
            the pucker factor. Crude but true.
            So, how to break with the herd to show that you
            have talents while also maintaining your eastern
            persona? As the Most Esteemed Sofya pointed out, the
            Grand Prince was often pictured in a fur hat and if I
            remember Ospery #222 on the Golden Horde and Timiruds,
            (yea, I know) there were several hat styles pictured.
            Maybe that could be an avenue to meet your needs?
            What if you used a silver organza fabric or
            silver twisted wire couched down to a fur brimed hat?
            If you combined the twisted "silver" wire couched down
            to a loose weave silver metallic fabric from a craft
            store and a really nice fur edging then your could
            situate six of anything above the fur and have a
            really eyecatching coronet? Add some freshwater pearls
            from Firemountain.com and/or some drilled cabachons,
            all of which would be supported by the silver wire and
            you have a "coronet" that would make a Grand Prince
            drool.
            Or do a silver brim on a hat(s) with pearling or
            couchwork and have a variety of "coronets". Maybe you
            could promote an aspiring artisan of your acquantence
            or even challenge yourself to make the coronet? This
            could be a lot of pluses all around! Besides, who
            knows? You might inspire others to imitate and start a
            trend?????
            YIS,
            'dok

            --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

            > Your Excellency, poklon ot Sofya.
            >
            > I have to agree with Mordak here. If you're going
            > Russian, there's really no equivalent of a Baronial
            > Coronet. In period art, only the Grand Prince is
            > shown in a crown - often, in our period, he's just
            > in a fur hat.

            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/clothingart.html

            > I can't think of any crown-like items for the
            > Mongols, not that I claim much expertise there. The
            > folks at the Red Kaganate probably know more:
            > http://www.redkaganate.org/
            >
            > You may just have to accept that the coronet is a
            > western gift from a western ruler, and use a western
            > design with a touch of Eastern flair.
            >
            > You might find some ideas here:
            > http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/novgorodpublic.html
            > (big pictures - load slowly)
            >
            > K tvoim uslugam,
            >
            > Sofya

            > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
            > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Marilee Humason
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 16, 2007
              You aren't going to be able to be completely period if
              you want to wear a coronet. I downloaded the crowns of
              the russian tsars into my file - anastasia- they are
              the hats with crown type changes. Mongols don't seem
              to have any type of coronets that I have been able to
              research and I have looked for a couple of years now.
              my own coronet is a metal Kokoshnik in the Moscow
              style. I can't document that baronesses wore them, but
              there were often wedding crowns made of metal so I
              went by that. that doesn't help the guys. I would go
              with the hat and a small "sport" coronet of points and
              pearls that fits onto it.
              Baroness Anastasia
              --- Doug Petroshius <gintarasthetaura@...>

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                GAH! 'DOK! You just gave away my ideas!

                --Sfandra
                --also newly-minted CB (as of this past saturday)

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                  Boy, we all seem to be "moving up in the world" at
                  once. :-D Must be a trend.

                  At any rate, I have a question for those who were
                  probably involved in the heraldic decision process:
                  why are there 2 possible titles for Baron/ess listed
                  in the Alternate Title charts for Russian? What is
                  the distinction between Posadnik/nitsa and Voevoda?
                  Is it a period distinction?

                  Thanks,
                  Sfandra

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Paul W Goldschmidt
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                    Posadnik/nitsa is more akin to a "mayor" while voevoda is more like a
                    "military governor".

                    At the time of the debate, we felt that the understanding of the role
                    of a Baron/ess in the SCA straddled both concepts so we argued that
                    either was acceptable. A posadnik implies land-ownership, while
                    voevoda implies men-at-arms serve you.

                    There is probably a period distinction as well, but I don't know it.

                    YIS,
                    Paul Wickenden

                    At 09:48 AM 4/17/2007, you wrote:

                    >Boy, we all seem to be "moving up in the world" at
                    >once. :-D Must be a trend.
                    >
                    >At any rate, I have a question for those who were
                    >probably involved in the heraldic decision process:
                    >why are there 2 possible titles for Baron/ess listed
                    >in the Alternate Title charts for Russian? What is
                    >the distinction between Posadnik/nitsa and Voevoda?
                    >Is it a period distinction?
                    >
                    >Thanks,
                    >Sfandra

                  • L.M. Kies
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                      Sfandra, poklon ot Sofya!

                      Congratulations!

                      >What is the distinction between Posadnik/nitsa and Voevoda?
                      >Is it a period distinction?

                      It is a period distinction. I've been reading all about Posadniks and Voevodas in the Novgorod Chronicle the last few days. And the committee that put together the list worked very hard to try to keep it period.

                      Please see this version of the Alternate Title List for the relevant notes:
                      http://knowledgepages.scadianrus.org/titles.html

                      Baron
                      Posadnik
                      Посадник
                      poh-sahd-neek
                      "governor of a city-state"

                      Voevoda
                      Воевода
                      voy-yeh-vohd-ah
                      Means "commander" or "governor"; military overtones

                      Baroness
                      Posadnitsa
                      Посадница
                      poh-sahd-nee-tsah
                      "governor of a city-state"

                      Voevoda
                      Воевода
                      voy-yeh-vohd-ah
                      Means "commander" or "governor"; military overtones
                      I.e. the "mayor" of Novgorod was a Posadnik. The "general" of their army was a Voevoda.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                        Thanks for the notes. Hm. I think Posadnitsa.

                        And yes, most of 'Dok's suggestions re: coronets had
                        gone through my mind in the last 3 days. Of course, I
                        was gifted with quite possibly the Known World's Most
                        Obnoxious Coronet at my elevation. And I love it!
                        But it sure is, um, ostentatious. I'll stick a shot
                        of it in the Photos: Sfandra's Stuff.

                        Cheers,
                        Sfandra

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • aldo
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                          posadnik and posadnitsa was actually as Paul has said a term for mayor and was mainly used in the North of the Russian Land i.e.Novgorod the Great or Polotsk. Posadnik was a public charge that the Vetche acclaimed each time a new posadnik had to be elected. As far as Novgorod is concerned, it was recognized as a real public charge till 1478 but after that date it became void as John the III of Moscow was the only one entitled to grant it.

                          Ciao

                          Aldo

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                            I use Boyarina, which means "petty noble". It is
                            accepted here in AnTir;
                            stasi
                            --- Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:

                            > Posadnik/nitsa is more akin to a "mayor" while
                            > voevoda is more like a
                            > "military governor".
                            >
                            > At the time of the debate, we felt that the
                            > understanding of the role
                            > of a Baron/ess in the SCA straddled both concepts so
                            > we argued that
                            > either was acceptable. A posadnik implies
                            > land-ownership, while
                            > voevoda implies men-at-arms serve you.
                            >
                            > There is probably a period distinction as well, but
                            > I don't know it.
                            >
                            > YIS,
                            > Paul Wickenden
                            >
                            > At 09:48 AM 4/17/2007, you wrote:
                            >
                            > >Boy, we all seem to be "moving up in the world" at
                            > >once. :-D Must be a trend.
                            > >
                            > >At any rate, I have a question for those who were
                            > >probably involved in the heraldic decision process:
                            > >why are there 2 possible titles for Baron/ess
                            > listed
                            > >in the Alternate Title charts for Russian? What is
                            > >the distinction between Posadnik/nitsa and Voevoda?
                            > >Is it a period distinction?
                            > >
                            > >Thanks,
                            > >Sfandra
                            > >
                            > >******************
                            > >Pomestnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
                            > >Royal Clothier to TRM Lucan and Yana Von
                            > Drachenklaue
                            > >Kingdom of the East
                            > removed]

                          • JoAnna Buxton
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                              I also use Boyarina. It's easier for others to understand and for the heralds to pronounce.
                              My CB coronet is a melding of period silver filigree work that curls to support large fresh water pearls & a bit of artistic license - it has copper 'firebird' feathers - a nod to my favorite folk tale. :)

                              Boyarina Aleksandra
                              An Tir

                              Marilee Humason <stasiwa@...> wrote:
                              I use Boyarina, which means "petty noble". It is
                              accepted here in AnTir;
                              stasi
                              --- Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:

                              > Posadnik/nitsa is more akin to a "mayor" while
                              > voevoda is more like a
                              > "military governor".
                              >
                              > At the time of the debate, we felt that the
                              > understanding of the role
                              > of a Baron/ess in the SCA straddled both concepts so
                              > we argued that
                              > either was acceptable. A posadnik implies
                              > land-ownership, while
                              > voevoda implies men-at-arms serve you.
                              >
                              > There is probably a period distinction as well, but
                              > I don't know it.
                              >
                              > YIS,
                              > Paul Wickenden
                              >
                              > At 09:48 AM 4/17/2007, you wrote:
                              >
                              > >Boy, we all seem to be "moving up in the world" at
                              > >once. :-D Must be a trend.
                              > >
                              > >At any rate, I have a question for those who were
                              > >probably involved in the heraldic decision process:
                              > >why are there 2 possible titles for Baron/ess
                              > listed
                              > >in the Alternate Title charts for Russian? What is
                              > >the distinction between Posadnik/nitsa and Voevoda?
                              > >Is it a period distinction?
                              > >
                              > >Thanks,
                              > >Sfandra
                              > >
                              > >******************
                              > >Pomestnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
                              > >Royal Clothier to TRM Lucan and Yana Von
                              > Drachenklaue
                              > >Kingdom of the East
                              > removed]

                            • L.M. Kies
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                                Poklon ot Sofya!

                                I've copied below the chief points of an exchange that took place on the SIG list awhile back on a this subject. Predslava was one of the folks who put together the official alternate title list. Comment at will. :-)

                                Addressing nobility:
                                Predslava says " Gospodin is OK as a form of address, NOT as a *title*. You could actually try the vocative: gospodine [gohs-poh-DEE-neh], as in "hey, your lordship!" (well, OK, a little more polite than that!)
                                "Vy" as a respectful form of address is way OOP! Even in the 18th century, satyrists derided the need to "use the plural to address a single person". In period, it's "ty" for one person (see Spanish "tu", German "du" etc), and "vy" for a plural (Spanish "vosotros", German "ihr" etc).
                                Ksenia Alexandrova says: Dvoryanin (dvoryanka) would be a useful term for minor nobility, and as a general term of address for dukes and Counts, but usually refereed to lesser nobility. It may be translated as "courtsman." It was more normal for female family members of the courtiers to be identified as "daughter of dvoryanin ______________." This term of address referred to the courtiers of the Tsar originally, in perhaps the thirteenth century. Then, later, it became a general term for everyone noble other than the higher nobility.
                                There was another term that was used to identify lesser nobility during our period was "boyarin" and boyarinya" for females. It is an old word coming originally from the council of elders for the dukes/princes. It went out of use in the 1600s or so, because they exterminated all the Boyars. The lucky ones, apparently, became dvoryanin.
                                Predslava adds: "Dvorianin" is really more of a generic term than a title or a form of address. Or a descriptive term in late period.
                                "Boyarin" is a term whose meaning changed quite a bit during our period, from meaning "high notable" -- a sort-of title that could come and go in a person's life, and even more so in family history (it was more of an indication of a person's social and political standing than a real title) all the way to a title defined by law and bestowed by the tsar.
                                The (official) Alternate List of Titles is by no means satisfactory because too much time is covered. "Boyarin" would be perfectly adequate for an AoA recipient if the persona is early, but not at all for a late-period persona, so it's been dropped because it generated more arguments than it's worth.
                                Personally, I don't like (for my persona) pomestnitsa, so I don't use it. I might use "boiarynia" anyway -- it would be unofficial, and might bring up arguments with other Russian personae, so I just don't use anything, and let myself be called Lady in "foreign" courts. In a "Russian court" situation, I would just make sure I was called by my given name + patronymic (Predslava Vydrina), that's honorable enough... We (Russian personae) are rather like foreigners in the England/France-oriented SCA...

                                >I also use Boyarina. It's easier for others to understand and for the heralds to pronounce.
                                >
                                >Boyarina Aleksandra
                                >An Tir
                                >
                                >>I use Boyarina, which means "petty noble". It is
                                >>accepted here in AnTir;
                                >>
                                >>stasi
                                >>
                                >>Baroness Anastasia Alexandrovna Andreeva (OL)

                                K vashim uslugam,