Re: [sig] hello hello

  • Marilee Humason
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 15, 2007
      The only ones I have seen is the Crown of
      Monomoche(sp) and 16th century crowns. I have posted
      them onto the file section under my name Anastasia.
      I would do this for my husband if he wanted a coronet.
      stasi

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 16, 2007
        Greetings Soshka!
        I'd look up Golden Horde decoration or
        architecture for design themes. You could check out
        rarebook.com or bookfinder.com or your state library?
        What kinds of designs were utilized in Sarai?
        The problem will be that crowns for eastern
        personas didn't appear to exist, at least for the
        lower nobility structures. It that rank was more
        defined by colors allowed to be worn or decorations or
        materials. Its very frustrating and leads one to
        suspect that crowns are probably a western/SCA
        convention for ranks below rulers, for us!
        Mordak Timofei'vich Rostovskogo, OL
        --- Sasha <sashavilanov@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I was referred to this list by Paul Wickenden as I
        > was searching for
        > something and had sent him an email and he told me
        > someone in this
        > forum would likely know the information i was
        > looking for. I am
        > searching for some information on Russian Baronial
        > Coronets. I was
        > wondering if anyone might per chance know of any
        > resources where I could
        > look up what they looked like design-wise or if they
        > even existed. I
        > just stepped down from being a Territorial Baron and
        > received my Court
        > Baroncy, so I am eager to commission a coronet of my
        > own but wanted to
        > try to go for something along the lines of my
        > persona.
        >
        > My persona incidently is Russian born Mongolian
        > soldier circa 1320 in
        > the duchy of Moscow, during the reign of Yuriy
        > Danilovich and the
        > Golden Horde.
        >
        > Any help you could give me would be greatly
        > appreciated,
        >
        > Baron Soshka Gregor'evich Vilanov
        > Known as Sasha
        > Kingdom of Trimaris

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Doug Petroshius
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 16, 2007
          I too would be interested in infromation on this as I recently became a
          Baron of the Court.

          ~Gintaras~
          [GIN -tah - rahs]
        • L.M. Kies
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 16, 2007
            Your Excellency, poklon ot Sofya.

            I have to agree with Mordak here. If you're going Russian, there's really no equivalent of a Baronial Coronet. In period art, only the Grand Prince is shown in a crown - often, in our period, he's just in a fur hat.
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/clothingart.html

            I can't think of any crown-like items for the Mongols, not that I claim much expertise there. The folks at the Red Kaganate probably know more:
            http://www.redkaganate.org/

            You may just have to accept that the coronet is a western gift from a western ruler, and use a western design with a touch of Eastern flair.

            You might find some ideas here:
            http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/novgorodpublic.html (big pictures - load slowly)

            K tvoim uslugam,

            Sofya

            Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 16, 2007
              Your Excellency, Soshka and Everyone,
              I've been thinking and I have a couple twisted but
              creative potential remedies for this delimna (sp). Its
              a fact that silver hats abound and even though some
              like yourself and others busted ass to earn theirs,
              its always been a perk and the whim of the Crown
              ultimately. And almost impossible to differentiate
              your hard work from those whose main qualification was
              the pucker factor. Crude but true.
              So, how to break with the herd to show that you
              have talents while also maintaining your eastern
              persona? As the Most Esteemed Sofya pointed out, the
              Grand Prince was often pictured in a fur hat and if I
              remember Ospery #222 on the Golden Horde and Timiruds,
              (yea, I know) there were several hat styles pictured.
              Maybe that could be an avenue to meet your needs?
              What if you used a silver organza fabric or
              silver twisted wire couched down to a fur brimed hat?
              If you combined the twisted "silver" wire couched down
              to a loose weave silver metallic fabric from a craft
              store and a really nice fur edging then your could
              situate six of anything above the fur and have a
              really eyecatching coronet? Add some freshwater pearls
              from Firemountain.com and/or some drilled cabachons,
              all of which would be supported by the silver wire and
              you have a "coronet" that would make a Grand Prince
              drool.
              Or do a silver brim on a hat(s) with pearling or
              couchwork and have a variety of "coronets". Maybe you
              could promote an aspiring artisan of your acquantence
              or even challenge yourself to make the coronet? This
              could be a lot of pluses all around! Besides, who
              knows? You might inspire others to imitate and start a
              trend?????
              YIS,
              'dok

              --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

              > Your Excellency, poklon ot Sofya.
              >
              > I have to agree with Mordak here. If you're going
              > Russian, there's really no equivalent of a Baronial
              > Coronet. In period art, only the Grand Prince is
              > shown in a crown - often, in our period, he's just
              > in a fur hat.

              http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/clothingart.html

              > I can't think of any crown-like items for the
              > Mongols, not that I claim much expertise there. The
              > folks at the Red Kaganate probably know more:
              > http://www.redkaganate.org/
              >
              > You may just have to accept that the coronet is a
              > western gift from a western ruler, and use a western
              > design with a touch of Eastern flair.
              >
              > You might find some ideas here:
              > http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/novgorodpublic.html
              > (big pictures - load slowly)
              >
              > K tvoim uslugam,
              >
              > Sofya

              > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
              > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Marilee Humason
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 16, 2007
                You aren't going to be able to be completely period if
                you want to wear a coronet. I downloaded the crowns of
                the russian tsars into my file - anastasia- they are
                the hats with crown type changes. Mongols don't seem
                to have any type of coronets that I have been able to
                research and I have looked for a couple of years now.
                my own coronet is a metal Kokoshnik in the Moscow
                style. I can't document that baronesses wore them, but
                there were often wedding crowns made of metal so I
                went by that. that doesn't help the guys. I would go
                with the hat and a small "sport" coronet of points and
                pearls that fits onto it.
                Baroness Anastasia
                --- Doug Petroshius <gintarasthetaura@...>

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                  GAH! 'DOK! You just gave away my ideas!

                  --Sfandra
                  --also newly-minted CB (as of this past saturday)

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                    Boy, we all seem to be "moving up in the world" at
                    once. :-D Must be a trend.

                    At any rate, I have a question for those who were
                    probably involved in the heraldic decision process:
                    why are there 2 possible titles for Baron/ess listed
                    in the Alternate Title charts for Russian? What is
                    the distinction between Posadnik/nitsa and Voevoda?
                    Is it a period distinction?

                    Thanks,
                    Sfandra

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Paul W Goldschmidt
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                      Posadnik/nitsa is more akin to a "mayor" while voevoda is more like a
                      "military governor".

                      At the time of the debate, we felt that the understanding of the role
                      of a Baron/ess in the SCA straddled both concepts so we argued that
                      either was acceptable. A posadnik implies land-ownership, while
                      voevoda implies men-at-arms serve you.

                      There is probably a period distinction as well, but I don't know it.

                      YIS,
                      Paul Wickenden

                      At 09:48 AM 4/17/2007, you wrote:

                      >Boy, we all seem to be "moving up in the world" at
                      >once. :-D Must be a trend.
                      >
                      >At any rate, I have a question for those who were
                      >probably involved in the heraldic decision process:
                      >why are there 2 possible titles for Baron/ess listed
                      >in the Alternate Title charts for Russian? What is
                      >the distinction between Posadnik/nitsa and Voevoda?
                      >Is it a period distinction?
                      >
                      >Thanks,
                      >Sfandra

                    • L.M. Kies
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                        Sfandra, poklon ot Sofya!

                        Congratulations!

                        >What is the distinction between Posadnik/nitsa and Voevoda?
                        >Is it a period distinction?

                        It is a period distinction. I've been reading all about Posadniks and Voevodas in the Novgorod Chronicle the last few days. And the committee that put together the list worked very hard to try to keep it period.

                        Please see this version of the Alternate Title List for the relevant notes:
                        http://knowledgepages.scadianrus.org/titles.html

                        Baron
                        Posadnik
                        Посадник
                        poh-sahd-neek
                        "governor of a city-state"

                        Voevoda
                        Воевода
                        voy-yeh-vohd-ah
                        Means "commander" or "governor"; military overtones

                        Baroness
                        Posadnitsa
                        Посадница
                        poh-sahd-nee-tsah
                        "governor of a city-state"

                        Voevoda
                        Воевода
                        voy-yeh-vohd-ah
                        Means "commander" or "governor"; military overtones
                        I.e. the "mayor" of Novgorod was a Posadnik. The "general" of their army was a Voevoda.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                          Thanks for the notes. Hm. I think Posadnitsa.

                          And yes, most of 'Dok's suggestions re: coronets had
                          gone through my mind in the last 3 days. Of course, I
                          was gifted with quite possibly the Known World's Most
                          Obnoxious Coronet at my elevation. And I love it!
                          But it sure is, um, ostentatious. I'll stick a shot
                          of it in the Photos: Sfandra's Stuff.

                          Cheers,
                          Sfandra

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • aldo
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                            posadnik and posadnitsa was actually as Paul has said a term for mayor and was mainly used in the North of the Russian Land i.e.Novgorod the Great or Polotsk. Posadnik was a public charge that the Vetche acclaimed each time a new posadnik had to be elected. As far as Novgorod is concerned, it was recognized as a real public charge till 1478 but after that date it became void as John the III of Moscow was the only one entitled to grant it.

                            Ciao

                            Aldo

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                              I use Boyarina, which means "petty noble". It is
                              accepted here in AnTir;
                              stasi
                              --- Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:

                              > Posadnik/nitsa is more akin to a "mayor" while
                              > voevoda is more like a
                              > "military governor".
                              >
                              > At the time of the debate, we felt that the
                              > understanding of the role
                              > of a Baron/ess in the SCA straddled both concepts so
                              > we argued that
                              > either was acceptable. A posadnik implies
                              > land-ownership, while
                              > voevoda implies men-at-arms serve you.
                              >
                              > There is probably a period distinction as well, but
                              > I don't know it.
                              >
                              > YIS,
                              > Paul Wickenden
                              >
                              > At 09:48 AM 4/17/2007, you wrote:
                              >
                              > >Boy, we all seem to be "moving up in the world" at
                              > >once. :-D Must be a trend.
                              > >
                              > >At any rate, I have a question for those who were
                              > >probably involved in the heraldic decision process:
                              > >why are there 2 possible titles for Baron/ess
                              > listed
                              > >in the Alternate Title charts for Russian? What is
                              > >the distinction between Posadnik/nitsa and Voevoda?
                              > >Is it a period distinction?
                              > >
                              > >Thanks,
                              > >Sfandra
                              > >
                              > >******************
                              > >Pomestnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
                              > >Royal Clothier to TRM Lucan and Yana Von
                              > Drachenklaue
                              > >Kingdom of the East
                              > removed]

                            • JoAnna Buxton
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                                I also use Boyarina. It's easier for others to understand and for the heralds to pronounce.
                                My CB coronet is a melding of period silver filigree work that curls to support large fresh water pearls & a bit of artistic license - it has copper 'firebird' feathers - a nod to my favorite folk tale. :)

                                Boyarina Aleksandra
                                An Tir

                                Marilee Humason <stasiwa@...> wrote:
                                I use Boyarina, which means "petty noble". It is
                                accepted here in AnTir;
                                stasi
                                --- Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:

                                > Posadnik/nitsa is more akin to a "mayor" while
                                > voevoda is more like a
                                > "military governor".
                                >
                                > At the time of the debate, we felt that the
                                > understanding of the role
                                > of a Baron/ess in the SCA straddled both concepts so
                                > we argued that
                                > either was acceptable. A posadnik implies
                                > land-ownership, while
                                > voevoda implies men-at-arms serve you.
                                >
                                > There is probably a period distinction as well, but
                                > I don't know it.
                                >
                                > YIS,
                                > Paul Wickenden
                                >
                                > At 09:48 AM 4/17/2007, you wrote:
                                >
                                > >Boy, we all seem to be "moving up in the world" at
                                > >once. :-D Must be a trend.
                                > >
                                > >At any rate, I have a question for those who were
                                > >probably involved in the heraldic decision process:
                                > >why are there 2 possible titles for Baron/ess
                                > listed
                                > >in the Alternate Title charts for Russian? What is
                                > >the distinction between Posadnik/nitsa and Voevoda?
                                > >Is it a period distinction?
                                > >
                                > >Thanks,
                                > >Sfandra
                                > >
                                > >******************
                                > >Pomestnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
                                > >Royal Clothier to TRM Lucan and Yana Von
                                > Drachenklaue
                                > >Kingdom of the East
                                > removed]

                              • L.M. Kies
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 17, 2007
                                  Poklon ot Sofya!

                                  I've copied below the chief points of an exchange that took place on the SIG list awhile back on a this subject. Predslava was one of the folks who put together the official alternate title list. Comment at will. :-)

                                  Addressing nobility:
                                  Predslava says " Gospodin is OK as a form of address, NOT as a *title*. You could actually try the vocative: gospodine [gohs-poh-DEE-neh], as in "hey, your lordship!" (well, OK, a little more polite than that!)
                                  "Vy" as a respectful form of address is way OOP! Even in the 18th century, satyrists derided the need to "use the plural to address a single person". In period, it's "ty" for one person (see Spanish "tu", German "du" etc), and "vy" for a plural (Spanish "vosotros", German "ihr" etc).
                                  Ksenia Alexandrova says: Dvoryanin (dvoryanka) would be a useful term for minor nobility, and as a general term of address for dukes and Counts, but usually refereed to lesser nobility. It may be translated as "courtsman." It was more normal for female family members of the courtiers to be identified as "daughter of dvoryanin ______________." This term of address referred to the courtiers of the Tsar originally, in perhaps the thirteenth century. Then, later, it became a general term for everyone noble other than the higher nobility.
                                  There was another term that was used to identify lesser nobility during our period was "boyarin" and boyarinya" for females. It is an old word coming originally from the council of elders for the dukes/princes. It went out of use in the 1600s or so, because they exterminated all the Boyars. The lucky ones, apparently, became dvoryanin.
                                  Predslava adds: "Dvorianin" is really more of a generic term than a title or a form of address. Or a descriptive term in late period.
                                  "Boyarin" is a term whose meaning changed quite a bit during our period, from meaning "high notable" -- a sort-of title that could come and go in a person's life, and even more so in family history (it was more of an indication of a person's social and political standing than a real title) all the way to a title defined by law and bestowed by the tsar.
                                  The (official) Alternate List of Titles is by no means satisfactory because too much time is covered. "Boyarin" would be perfectly adequate for an AoA recipient if the persona is early, but not at all for a late-period persona, so it's been dropped because it generated more arguments than it's worth.
                                  Personally, I don't like (for my persona) pomestnitsa, so I don't use it. I might use "boiarynia" anyway -- it would be unofficial, and might bring up arguments with other Russian personae, so I just don't use anything, and let myself be called Lady in "foreign" courts. In a "Russian court" situation, I would just make sure I was called by my given name + patronymic (Predslava Vydrina), that's honorable enough... We (Russian personae) are rather like foreigners in the England/France-oriented SCA...

                                  >I also use Boyarina. It's easier for others to understand and for the heralds to pronounce.
                                  >
                                  >Boyarina Aleksandra
                                  >An Tir
                                  >
                                  >>I use Boyarina, which means "petty noble". It is
                                  >>accepted here in AnTir;
                                  >>
                                  >>stasi
                                  >>
                                  >>Baroness Anastasia Alexandrovna Andreeva (OL)

                                  K vashim uslugam,