Re: Lithanian Clothing

  • Rick Orli
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 10, 2007
      1410 is way before my specialty of study (in time) but your
      conclusion seems odd to me. By eastern Lithuanian, do you mean the
      Ruthen /Rus natives of Today's east Belarus and Smolensk and east
      Ukrainian regions of the Grand Duchy? If so OK. But if you mean the
      small number of actual ethnic Lithuanians in that area, mostly
      members of the elite ruling and military classes, I don't know. The
      Lithuanians seemed to be wearing an odd mix of western and eastern
      in the 1400s, a little unique. In the late 1400s and early 1500s
      they start looking like new-age Tatars in Kaftans and whatnot. In
      the mid-late 1500s the Poles adopt the Lithuanian kaftan fashions
      with a dash of Hungarian in the mix.

      I went to a Lithuanian festival and some guy started a finger-
      shaking lecture at me, saying I was dressed as a Pole...not a
      Lithuanian. Wrong! The Poles copied that zupon and delia and kontuz
      look from the lithuanians not the other way around.
      -Rick
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Petroshius" <gintarasthetaura@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello Everyone,
      >
      > I used to be on this list a while ago and have since returned. My
      name is
      > Gintaras and I am from the Middle. I portray a Lithuanian noble
      from 1410. I
      > have gathered quite a lot of research and come to the conclusion
      that the
      > Eastern Lithuanian's clothing (and armor) was mostly influenced by
      the Rus
      > and the Byzantine. (The Western being influenced by the Poles and
      Tuetonic
      > Knights).
      >
      > My Question: Does anyone have documentation (pictures or
      descriptions) of
      > what Eastern Lithuanian nobles (particularly men) would have worn
      in 1410? I
      > have a pretty good kit of armor that I have been wearing that is
      based off
      > of the Osprey Military Handbook Battle of Tannenburg 1410, but now
      I am

      http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/trmain/tr1main.html
      > >temple rings = "three-bead" temple rings)

    • Doug Petroshius
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 10, 2007
        Sorry about the lack of snipping. When I got back on this list, I told
        myself I wouldn't and then just after I clicked send I said "'DOH!"

        >1410 is way before my specialty of study (in time) but your
        >conclusion seems odd to me. By eastern Lithuanian, do you mean the
        >Ruthen /Rus natives of Today's east Belarus and Smolensk and east
        >Ukrainian regions of the Grand Duchy? If so OK.

        My persona was in Central Lithuania in terms of the GDL in that time period.

        But if you mean the
        >small number of actual ethnic Lithuanians in that area, mostly
        >members of the elite ruling and military classes, I don't know.

        Yes, he would have been of noble birth. But I have portrayed my persona to
        be of those mounted lithuanians that were at the battle. My research does
        indicate that the wealthier ones had heavier armor (which I am sure is the
        case in other cultures).

        The
        >Lithuanians seemed to be wearing an odd mix of western and eastern
        >in the 1400s, a little unique.

        That helps a lot, actually, but it appears it is the hardest time period to
        research. At least I know with some level of reasoning that the Polish-Rus
        thing will work.

        >I went to a Lithuanian festival and some guy started a finger-
        >shaking lecture at me, saying I was dressed as a Pole...not a
        >Lithuanian. Wrong! The Poles copied that zupon and delia and kontuz
        >look from the lithuanians not the other way around.
        >-Rick

        That guy wasn't me!!! :) ----Did he say what a Lithuanian *should* be
        dressed as?