Re: new hat and temple ring help

  • milica_od_tuzla
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7 6:25 PM
      What about Serb women, did they wear temple rings? And what time
      frame are we looking at for temple rings?

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lente <lente@...> wrote:

      > I sort of remember something temple ring-ish for the magyar ladies
      but
      > it may just be a faulty memory or a line drawing of a Rus lady I
      am
      > thinking of.
      > Sigh I wish I even remembered where I saw it right now. Thanks
      for the
      > links, I will check them out better on Monday, somedays the
      holidays are
      > the pits and today almost qualifies for that.
      >
      > I still got to set up my kids easter baskets.
      >
      > Kathws
      >
      > L.M. Kies wrote:

      temple rings = "three-bead" temple rings)

      > > Sofya

    • Doug Petroshius
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 9 2:35 PM
        Hello Everyone,

        I used to be on this list a while ago and have since returned. My name is
        Gintaras and I am from the Middle. I portray a Lithuanian noble from 1410. I
        have gathered quite a lot of research and come to the conclusion that the
        Eastern Lithuanian's clothing (and armor) was mostly influenced by the Rus
        and the Byzantine. (The Western being influenced by the Poles and Tuetonic
        Knights).

        My Question: Does anyone have documentation (pictures or descriptions) of
        what Eastern Lithuanian nobles (particularly men) would have worn in 1410? I
        have a pretty good kit of armor that I have been wearing that is based off
        of the Osprey Military Handbook Battle of Tannenburg 1410, but now I am
        looking for everyday wear/court garb.

        Any information is greatly appreciated.

        ~Gintaras~
        [GIN -tah - rahs]

        >From: "milica_od_tuzla" <carrieafl@...>
        >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [sig] Re: new hat and temple ring help
        >Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:25:11 -0000
        >
        >What about Serb women, did they wear temple rings? And what time
        >frame are we looking at for temple rings?
        >

        >--- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lente <lente@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I sort of remember something temple ring-ish for the magyar ladies
        >but
        > > it may just be a faulty memory or a line drawing of a Rus lady I
        >am
        > > thinking of.
        > > Sigh I wish I even remembered where I saw it right now. Thanks
        >for the
        > > links, I will check them out better on Monday, somedays the
        >holidays are
        > > the pits and today almost qualifies for that.
        > >
        > > I still got to set up my kids easter baskets.
        > >
        > > Kathws

      • kevin purtrell
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 10 6:39 AM
          <please snip your posts - thanks!>

          You'll have to come over sometime and look at our Polish costume books. Perhaps I can bring them to a fighting practice some time.

          -Kevin Ambrozijwski

          Doug Petroshius <gintarasthetaura@...> wrote:
          Hello Everyone,

          I used to be on this list a while ago and have since returned. My name is
          Gintaras and I am from the Middle. I portray a Lithuanian noble from 1410. I
          have gathered quite a lot of research and come to the conclusion that the
          Eastern Lithuanian's clothing (and armor) was mostly influenced by the Rus
          and the Byzantine. (The Western being influenced by the Poles and Tuetonic
          Knights).

          My Question: Does anyone have documentation (pictures or descriptions) of
          what Eastern Lithuanian nobles (particularly men) would have worn in 1410? I
          have a pretty good kit of armor that I have been wearing that is based off
          of the Osprey Military Handbook Battle of Tannenburg 1410, but now I am
          looking for everyday wear/court garb.

          Any information is greatly appreciated.

          ~Gintaras~
          [GIN -tah - ras]
        • Rick Orli
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 10 1:44 PM
            1410 is way before my specialty of study (in time) but your
            conclusion seems odd to me. By eastern Lithuanian, do you mean the
            Ruthen /Rus natives of Today's east Belarus and Smolensk and east
            Ukrainian regions of the Grand Duchy? If so OK. But if you mean the
            small number of actual ethnic Lithuanians in that area, mostly
            members of the elite ruling and military classes, I don't know. The
            Lithuanians seemed to be wearing an odd mix of western and eastern
            in the 1400s, a little unique. In the late 1400s and early 1500s
            they start looking like new-age Tatars in Kaftans and whatnot. In
            the mid-late 1500s the Poles adopt the Lithuanian kaftan fashions
            with a dash of Hungarian in the mix.

            I went to a Lithuanian festival and some guy started a finger-
            shaking lecture at me, saying I was dressed as a Pole...not a
            Lithuanian. Wrong! The Poles copied that zupon and delia and kontuz
            look from the lithuanians not the other way around.
            -Rick
            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Petroshius" <gintarasthetaura@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello Everyone,
            >
            > I used to be on this list a while ago and have since returned. My
            name is
            > Gintaras and I am from the Middle. I portray a Lithuanian noble
            from 1410. I
            > have gathered quite a lot of research and come to the conclusion
            that the
            > Eastern Lithuanian's clothing (and armor) was mostly influenced by
            the Rus
            > and the Byzantine. (The Western being influenced by the Poles and
            Tuetonic
            > Knights).
            >
            > My Question: Does anyone have documentation (pictures or
            descriptions) of
            > what Eastern Lithuanian nobles (particularly men) would have worn
            in 1410? I
            > have a pretty good kit of armor that I have been wearing that is
            based off
            > of the Osprey Military Handbook Battle of Tannenburg 1410, but now
            I am
            > looking for everyday wear/court garb.
            >
            > Any information is greatly appreciated.
            >
            > ~Gintaras~
            > [GIN -tah - rahs]
            >

            > >From: "milica_od_tuzla" <carrieafl@...>
            > >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: [sig] Re: new hat and temple ring help
            > >Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:25:11 -0000
            > >
            > >What about Serb women, did they wear temple rings? And what time
            > >frame are we looking at for temple rings?
            > >

            > >--- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lente <lente@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I sort of remember something temple ring-ish for the magyar
            ladies
            > >but
            > > > it may just be a faulty memory or a line drawing of a Rus lady
            > >am
            > > > thinking of.
            > > > Sigh I wish I even remembered where I saw it right now. Thanks
            > >for the
            > > > links, I will check them out better on Monday, somedays the
            > >holidays are
            > > > the pits and today almost qualifies for that.
            > > >
            > > > I still got to set up my kids easter baskets.
            > > >
            > > > Kathws

          • Doug Petroshius
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 10 5:43 PM
              Sorry about the lack of snipping. When I got back on this list, I told
              myself I wouldn't and then just after I clicked send I said "'DOH!"

              >1410 is way before my specialty of study (in time) but your
              >conclusion seems odd to me. By eastern Lithuanian, do you mean the
              >Ruthen /Rus natives of Today's east Belarus and Smolensk and east
              >Ukrainian regions of the Grand Duchy? If so OK.

              My persona was in Central Lithuania in terms of the GDL in that time period.

              But if you mean the
              >small number of actual ethnic Lithuanians in that area, mostly
              >members of the elite ruling and military classes, I don't know.

              Yes, he would have been of noble birth. But I have portrayed my persona to
              be of those mounted lithuanians that were at the battle. My research does
              indicate that the wealthier ones had heavier armor (which I am sure is the
              case in other cultures).

              The
              >Lithuanians seemed to be wearing an odd mix of western and eastern
              >in the 1400s, a little unique.

              That helps a lot, actually, but it appears it is the hardest time period to
              research. At least I know with some level of reasoning that the Polish-Rus
              thing will work.

              >I went to a Lithuanian festival and some guy started a finger-
              >shaking lecture at me, saying I was dressed as a Pole...not a
              >Lithuanian. Wrong! The Poles copied that zupon and delia and kontuz
              >look from the lithuanians not the other way around.
              >-Rick

              That guy wasn't me!!! :) ----Did he say what a Lithuanian *should* be
              dressed as?