Re: [sig] new hat and temple ring help

  • Lente
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7, 2007
      I sort of remember something temple ring-ish for the magyar ladies but
      it may just be a faulty memory or a line drawing of a Rus lady I am
      thinking of.
      Sigh I wish I even remembered where I saw it right now. Thanks for the
      links, I will check them out better on Monday, somedays the holidays are
      the pits and today almost qualifies for that.

      I still got to set up my kids easter baskets.

      Kathws

      L.M. Kies wrote:
> [...]
    • milica_od_tuzla
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 7, 2007
        What about Serb women, did they wear temple rings? And what time
        frame are we looking at for temple rings?

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lente <lente@...> wrote:

        > I sort of remember something temple ring-ish for the magyar ladies
        but
        > it may just be a faulty memory or a line drawing of a Rus lady I
        am
        > thinking of.
        > Sigh I wish I even remembered where I saw it right now. Thanks
        for the
        > links, I will check them out better on Monday, somedays the
        holidays are
        > the pits and today almost qualifies for that.
        >
        > I still got to set up my kids easter baskets.
        >
        > Kathws

      • Doug Petroshius
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 9, 2007
          Hello Everyone,

          I used to be on this list a while ago and have since returned. My name is
          Gintaras and I am from the Middle. I portray a Lithuanian noble from 1410. I
          have gathered quite a lot of research and come to the conclusion that the
          Eastern Lithuanian's clothing (and armor) was mostly influenced by the Rus
          and the Byzantine. (The Western being influenced by the Poles and Tuetonic
          Knights).

          My Question: Does anyone have documentation (pictures or descriptions) of
          what Eastern Lithuanian nobles (particularly men) would have worn in 1410? I
          have a pretty good kit of armor that I have been wearing that is based off
          of the Osprey Military Handbook Battle of Tannenburg 1410, but now I am
          looking for everyday wear/court garb.

          Any information is greatly appreciated.

          ~Gintaras~
          [GIN -tah - rahs]

          >From: "milica_od_tuzla" <carrieafl@...>
          >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [sig] Re: new hat and temple ring help
          >Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:25:11 -0000
          >
          >What about Serb women, did they wear temple rings? And what time
          >frame are we looking at for temple rings?
          >

          >--- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lente <lente@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I sort of remember something temple ring-ish for the magyar ladies
          >but
          > > it may just be a faulty memory or a line drawing of a Rus lady I
          >am
          > > thinking of.
          > > Sigh I wish I even remembered where I saw it right now. Thanks
          >for the
          > > links, I will check them out better on Monday, somedays the
          >holidays are
          > > the pits and today almost qualifies for that.
          > >
          > > I still got to set up my kids easter baskets.
          > >
          > > Kathws

        • kevin purtrell
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 10, 2007
            <please snip your posts - thanks!>

            You'll have to come over sometime and look at our Polish costume books. Perhaps I can bring them to a fighting practice some time.

            -Kevin Ambrozijwski

            Doug Petroshius <gintarasthetaura@...> wrote:
            Hello Everyone,

            I used to be on this list a while ago and have since returned. My name is
            Gintaras and I am from the Middle. I portray a Lithuanian noble from 1410. I
            have gathered quite a lot of research and come to the conclusion that the
            Eastern Lithuanian's clothing (and armor) was mostly influenced by the Rus
            and the Byzantine. (The Western being influenced by the Poles and Tuetonic
            Knights).

            My Question: Does anyone have documentation (pictures or descriptions) of
            what Eastern Lithuanian nobles (particularly men) would have worn in 1410? I
            have a pretty good kit of armor that I have been wearing that is based off
            of the Osprey Military Handbook Battle of Tannenburg 1410, but now I am
            looking for everyday wear/court garb.

            Any information is greatly appreciated.

            ~Gintaras~
            [GIN -tah - ras]
          • Rick Orli
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 10, 2007
              1410 is way before my specialty of study (in time) but your
              conclusion seems odd to me. By eastern Lithuanian, do you mean the
              Ruthen /Rus natives of Today's east Belarus and Smolensk and east
              Ukrainian regions of the Grand Duchy? If so OK. But if you mean the
              small number of actual ethnic Lithuanians in that area, mostly
              members of the elite ruling and military classes, I don't know. The
              Lithuanians seemed to be wearing an odd mix of western and eastern
              in the 1400s, a little unique. In the late 1400s and early 1500s
              they start looking like new-age Tatars in Kaftans and whatnot. In
              the mid-late 1500s the Poles adopt the Lithuanian kaftan fashions
              with a dash of Hungarian in the mix.

              I went to a Lithuanian festival and some guy started a finger-
              shaking lecture at me, saying I was dressed as a Pole...not a
              Lithuanian. Wrong! The Poles copied that zupon and delia and kontuz
              look from the lithuanians not the other way around.
              -Rick
              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Petroshius" <gintarasthetaura@...>
              wrote:

              > Hello Everyone,
              >
              > I used to be on this list a while ago and have since returned. My
              name is
              > Gintaras and I am from the Middle. I portray a Lithuanian noble
              from 1410. I
              > have gathered quite a lot of research and come to the conclusion
              that the
              > Eastern Lithuanian's clothing (and armor) was mostly influenced by
              the Rus
              > and the Byzantine. (The Western being influenced by the Poles and
              Tuetonic
              > Knights).
              >
              > My Question: Does anyone have documentation (pictures or
              descriptions) of
              > what Eastern Lithuanian nobles (particularly men) would have worn
              in 1410? I
              > have a pretty good kit of armor that I have been wearing that is
              based off
              > of the Osprey Military Handbook Battle of Tannenburg 1410, but now
              I am
              > looking for everyday wear/court garb.
              >
              > Any information is greatly appreciated.
              >
              > ~Gintaras~
              > [GIN -tah - rahs]
              >

              > >From: "milica_od_tuzla" <carrieafl@...>
              > >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
              > >Subject: [sig] Re: new hat and temple ring help
              > >Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:25:11 -0000
              > >
              > >What about Serb women, did they wear temple rings? And what time
              > >frame are we looking at for temple rings?
              > >

              > >--- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lente <lente@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I sort of remember something temple ring-ish for the magyar
              ladies
              > >but
              > > > it may just be a faulty memory or a line drawing of a Rus lady
              > >am
              > > > thinking of.
              > > > Sigh I wish I even remembered where I saw it right now. Thanks
              > >for the
              > > > links, I will check them out better on Monday, somedays the
              > >holidays are
              > > > the pits and today almost qualifies for that.
              > > >
              > > > I still got to set up my kids easter baskets.
              > > >
              > > > Kathws

            • Doug Petroshius
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 10, 2007
                Sorry about the lack of snipping. When I got back on this list, I told
                myself I wouldn't and then just after I clicked send I said "'DOH!"

                >1410 is way before my specialty of study (in time) but your
                >conclusion seems odd to me. By eastern Lithuanian, do you mean the
                >Ruthen /Rus natives of Today's east Belarus and Smolensk and east
                >Ukrainian regions of the Grand Duchy? If so OK.

                My persona was in Central Lithuania in terms of the GDL in that time period.

                But if you mean the
                >small number of actual ethnic Lithuanians in that area, mostly
                >members of the elite ruling and military classes, I don't know.

                Yes, he would have been of noble birth. But I have portrayed my persona to
                be of those mounted lithuanians that were at the battle. My research does
                indicate that the wealthier ones had heavier armor (which I am sure is the
                case in other cultures).

                The
                >Lithuanians seemed to be wearing an odd mix of western and eastern
                >in the 1400s, a little unique.

                That helps a lot, actually, but it appears it is the hardest time period to
                research. At least I know with some level of reasoning that the Polish-Rus
                thing will work.

                >I went to a Lithuanian festival and some guy started a finger-
                >shaking lecture at me, saying I was dressed as a Pole...not a
                >Lithuanian. Wrong! The Poles copied that zupon and delia and kontuz
                >look from the lithuanians not the other way around.
                >-Rick

                That guy wasn't me!!! :) ----Did he say what a Lithuanian *should* be
                dressed as?