RE: [sig] new hat and temple ring help

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 6, 2007

      I don't know about Magyar, but Rus and Lithuanian women wore temple rings.

      http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/trmain/tr1main.html
      http://www.istorija.lt/lim/svetikas2000en.html ("multi-bead" temple rings = "three-bead" temple rings)

      Sofya

    • Lente
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 7, 2007
        Su Ralston wrote:
        > You wrote:
        >
        >> I started working on a black linen hat with a white linen brim
        >>
        > [snipped] I am having some trouble with the brim, it ended up being
        > shorter in the front then at the sides.
        >
        > I don't have any information about historical accuracy, but I think
        > the hat looks nice. I wouldn't wear it with the light yellow veil
        > because the colors aren't great together (it just looks like the veil
        > is dirty).

        Oh yeah that color of yellow is terrible on me anyway, looking like I
        am half dead or very jaundice isn't the look I want to go for. I had
        dragged it out of the fabric stash as a possible trim fabric on a mongol
        del for my daughter. I didn't end up using it but it was handy to show
        the bottom edge of the hat, white on white just doesn't show up well in
        photos. I have a thin white India cotton fabric that has a built in 1
        1/2" wide white rayon trim on the selvage edges that I was planning to
        use for the veil on the hat, now I just have to finish the dang hat.
        > I also posted a photo of one of the temple rings I put together from a couple of earrings I found at Big Lots, what does everyone think?
        >
        > Looks nice, maybe move it so it hangs right in front of your ear...
        > when you are wearing it, if it gets in the way of answering your cell
        > phone, the placement is about right ;-)

        The location of the temple rings is good to now, I know I had seen
        pictures or line drawing of the temple rings and where they are placed
        before but couldn't remember what was my search criteria for them.

        Kathws
      • Lente
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 7, 2007
          I sort of remember something temple ring-ish for the magyar ladies but
          it may just be a faulty memory or a line drawing of a Rus lady I am
          thinking of.
          Sigh I wish I even remembered where I saw it right now. Thanks for the
          links, I will check them out better on Monday, somedays the holidays are
          the pits and today almost qualifies for that.

          I still got to set up my kids easter baskets.

          Kathws

          L.M. Kies wrote:
> [...]
        • milica_od_tuzla
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 7, 2007
            What about Serb women, did they wear temple rings? And what time
            frame are we looking at for temple rings?

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lente <lente@...> wrote:

            > I sort of remember something temple ring-ish for the magyar ladies
            but
            > it may just be a faulty memory or a line drawing of a Rus lady I
            am
            > thinking of.
            > Sigh I wish I even remembered where I saw it right now. Thanks
            for the
            > links, I will check them out better on Monday, somedays the
            holidays are
            > the pits and today almost qualifies for that.
            >
            > I still got to set up my kids easter baskets.
            >
            > Kathws

          • Doug Petroshius
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 9, 2007
              Hello Everyone,

              I used to be on this list a while ago and have since returned. My name is
              Gintaras and I am from the Middle. I portray a Lithuanian noble from 1410. I
              have gathered quite a lot of research and come to the conclusion that the
              Eastern Lithuanian's clothing (and armor) was mostly influenced by the Rus
              and the Byzantine. (The Western being influenced by the Poles and Tuetonic
              Knights).

              My Question: Does anyone have documentation (pictures or descriptions) of
              what Eastern Lithuanian nobles (particularly men) would have worn in 1410? I
              have a pretty good kit of armor that I have been wearing that is based off
              of the Osprey Military Handbook Battle of Tannenburg 1410, but now I am
              looking for everyday wear/court garb.

              Any information is greatly appreciated.

              ~Gintaras~
              [GIN -tah - rahs]

              >From: "milica_od_tuzla" <carrieafl@...>
              >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [sig] Re: new hat and temple ring help
              >Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:25:11 -0000
              >
              >What about Serb women, did they wear temple rings? And what time
              >frame are we looking at for temple rings?
              >

              >--- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lente <lente@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I sort of remember something temple ring-ish for the magyar ladies
              >but
              > > it may just be a faulty memory or a line drawing of a Rus lady I
              >am
              > > thinking of.
              > > Sigh I wish I even remembered where I saw it right now. Thanks
              >for the
              > > links, I will check them out better on Monday, somedays the
              >holidays are
              > > the pits and today almost qualifies for that.
              > >
              > > I still got to set up my kids easter baskets.
              > >
              > > Kathws

            • kevin purtrell
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 10, 2007
                <please snip your posts - thanks!>

                You'll have to come over sometime and look at our Polish costume books. Perhaps I can bring them to a fighting practice some time.

                -Kevin Ambrozijwski

                Doug Petroshius <gintarasthetaura@...> wrote:
                Hello Everyone,

                I used to be on this list a while ago and have since returned. My name is
                Gintaras and I am from the Middle. I portray a Lithuanian noble from 1410. I
                have gathered quite a lot of research and come to the conclusion that the
                Eastern Lithuanian's clothing (and armor) was mostly influenced by the Rus
                and the Byzantine. (The Western being influenced by the Poles and Tuetonic
                Knights).

                My Question: Does anyone have documentation (pictures or descriptions) of
                what Eastern Lithuanian nobles (particularly men) would have worn in 1410? I
                have a pretty good kit of armor that I have been wearing that is based off
                of the Osprey Military Handbook Battle of Tannenburg 1410, but now I am
                looking for everyday wear/court garb.

                Any information is greatly appreciated.

                ~Gintaras~
                [GIN -tah - ras]
              • Rick Orli
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 10, 2007
                  1410 is way before my specialty of study (in time) but your
                  conclusion seems odd to me. By eastern Lithuanian, do you mean the
                  Ruthen /Rus natives of Today's east Belarus and Smolensk and east
                  Ukrainian regions of the Grand Duchy? If so OK. But if you mean the
                  small number of actual ethnic Lithuanians in that area, mostly
                  members of the elite ruling and military classes, I don't know. The
                  Lithuanians seemed to be wearing an odd mix of western and eastern
                  in the 1400s, a little unique. In the late 1400s and early 1500s
                  they start looking like new-age Tatars in Kaftans and whatnot. In
                  the mid-late 1500s the Poles adopt the Lithuanian kaftan fashions
                  with a dash of Hungarian in the mix.

                  I went to a Lithuanian festival and some guy started a finger-
                  shaking lecture at me, saying I was dressed as a Pole...not a
                  Lithuanian. Wrong! The Poles copied that zupon and delia and kontuz
                  look from the lithuanians not the other way around.
                  -Rick
                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Petroshius" <gintarasthetaura@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hello Everyone,
                  >
                  > I used to be on this list a while ago and have since returned. My
                  name is
                  > Gintaras and I am from the Middle. I portray a Lithuanian noble
                  from 1410. I
                  > have gathered quite a lot of research and come to the conclusion
                  that the
                  > Eastern Lithuanian's clothing (and armor) was mostly influenced by
                  the Rus
                  > and the Byzantine. (The Western being influenced by the Poles and
                  Tuetonic
                  > Knights).
                  >
                  > My Question: Does anyone have documentation (pictures or
                  descriptions) of
                  > what Eastern Lithuanian nobles (particularly men) would have worn
                  in 1410? I
                  > have a pretty good kit of armor that I have been wearing that is
                  based off
                  > of the Osprey Military Handbook Battle of Tannenburg 1410, but now
                  I am
                  > looking for everyday wear/court garb.
                  >
                  > Any information is greatly appreciated.
                  >
                  > ~Gintaras~
                  > [GIN -tah - rahs]
                  >

                  > >From: "milica_od_tuzla" <carrieafl@...>
                  > >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
                  > >Subject: [sig] Re: new hat and temple ring help
                  > >Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:25:11 -0000
                  > >
                  > >What about Serb women, did they wear temple rings? And what time
                  > >frame are we looking at for temple rings?
                  > >

                  > >--- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lente <lente@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I sort of remember something temple ring-ish for the magyar
                  ladies
                  > >but
                  > > > it may just be a faulty memory or a line drawing of a Rus lady
                  > >am
                  > > > thinking of.
                  > > > Sigh I wish I even remembered where I saw it right now. Thanks
                  > >for the
                  > > > links, I will check them out better on Monday, somedays the
                  > >holidays are
                  > > > the pits and today almost qualifies for that.
                  > > >
                  > > > I still got to set up my kids easter baskets.
                  > > >
                  > > > Kathws

                • Doug Petroshius
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 10, 2007
                    Sorry about the lack of snipping. When I got back on this list, I told
                    myself I wouldn't and then just after I clicked send I said "'DOH!"

                    >1410 is way before my specialty of study (in time) but your
                    >conclusion seems odd to me. By eastern Lithuanian, do you mean the
                    >Ruthen /Rus natives of Today's east Belarus and Smolensk and east
                    >Ukrainian regions of the Grand Duchy? If so OK.

                    My persona was in Central Lithuania in terms of the GDL in that time period.

                    But if you mean the
                    >small number of actual ethnic Lithuanians in that area, mostly
                    >members of the elite ruling and military classes, I don't know.

                    Yes, he would have been of noble birth. But I have portrayed my persona to
                    be of those mounted lithuanians that were at the battle. My research does
                    indicate that the wealthier ones had heavier armor (which I am sure is the
                    case in other cultures).

                    The
                    >Lithuanians seemed to be wearing an odd mix of western and eastern
                    >in the 1400s, a little unique.

                    That helps a lot, actually, but it appears it is the hardest time period to
                    research. At least I know with some level of reasoning that the Polish-Rus
                    thing will work.

                    >I went to a Lithuanian festival and some guy started a finger-
                    >shaking lecture at me, saying I was dressed as a Pole...not a
                    >Lithuanian. Wrong! The Poles copied that zupon and delia and kontuz
                    >look from the lithuanians not the other way around.
                    >-Rick

                    That guy wasn't me!!! :) ----Did he say what a Lithuanian *should* be
                    dressed as?