Re: new hat and temple ring help

  • Su Ralston
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 6, 2007
      You wrote:
      > I started working on a black linen hat with a white linen brim
      [snipped] I am having some trouble with the brim, it ended up being
      shorter in the front then at the sides.

      I don't have any information about historical accuracy, but I think
      the hat looks nice. I wouldn't wear it with the light yellow veil
      because the colors aren't great together (it just looks like the veil
      is dirty).

      > I also posted a photo of one of the temple rings I put together from
      a couple of earrings I found at Big Lots, what does everyone think?

      Looks nice, maybe move it so it hangs right in front of your ear...
      when you are wearing it, if it gets in the way of answering your cell
      phone, the placement is about right ;-)

      Su
    • L.M. Kies
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 6, 2007

        I don't know about Magyar, but Rus and Lithuanian women wore temple rings.

        http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/trmain/tr1main.html
        http://www.istorija.lt/lim/svetikas2000en.html ("multi-bead" temple rings = "three-bead" temple rings)

        Sofya

      • Lente
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 7, 2007
          Su Ralston wrote:
          > You wrote:
          >
          >> I started working on a black linen hat with a white linen brim
          >>
          > [snipped] I am having some trouble with the brim, it ended up being
          > shorter in the front then at the sides.
          >
          > I don't have any information about historical accuracy, but I think
          > the hat looks nice. I wouldn't wear it with the light yellow veil
          > because the colors aren't great together (it just looks like the veil
          > is dirty).

          Oh yeah that color of yellow is terrible on me anyway, looking like I
          am half dead or very jaundice isn't the look I want to go for. I had
          dragged it out of the fabric stash as a possible trim fabric on a mongol
          del for my daughter. I didn't end up using it but it was handy to show
          the bottom edge of the hat, white on white just doesn't show up well in
          photos. I have a thin white India cotton fabric that has a built in 1
          1/2" wide white rayon trim on the selvage edges that I was planning to
          use for the veil on the hat, now I just have to finish the dang hat.
          > I also posted a photo of one of the temple rings I put together from a couple of earrings I found at Big Lots, what does everyone think?
          >
          > Looks nice, maybe move it so it hangs right in front of your ear...
          > when you are wearing it, if it gets in the way of answering your cell
          > phone, the placement is about right ;-)

          The location of the temple rings is good to now, I know I had seen
          pictures or line drawing of the temple rings and where they are placed
          before but couldn't remember what was my search criteria for them.

          Kathws
        • Lente
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 7, 2007
            I sort of remember something temple ring-ish for the magyar ladies but
            it may just be a faulty memory or a line drawing of a Rus lady I am
            thinking of.
            Sigh I wish I even remembered where I saw it right now. Thanks for the
            links, I will check them out better on Monday, somedays the holidays are
            the pits and today almost qualifies for that.

            I still got to set up my kids easter baskets.

            Kathws

            L.M. Kies wrote:
> [...]
          • milica_od_tuzla
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 7, 2007
              What about Serb women, did they wear temple rings? And what time
              frame are we looking at for temple rings?

              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lente <lente@...> wrote:

              > I sort of remember something temple ring-ish for the magyar ladies
              but
              > it may just be a faulty memory or a line drawing of a Rus lady I
              am
              > thinking of.
              > Sigh I wish I even remembered where I saw it right now. Thanks
              for the
              > links, I will check them out better on Monday, somedays the
              holidays are
              > the pits and today almost qualifies for that.
              >
              > I still got to set up my kids easter baskets.
              >
              > Kathws

            • Doug Petroshius
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 9, 2007
                Hello Everyone,

                I used to be on this list a while ago and have since returned. My name is
                Gintaras and I am from the Middle. I portray a Lithuanian noble from 1410. I
                have gathered quite a lot of research and come to the conclusion that the
                Eastern Lithuanian's clothing (and armor) was mostly influenced by the Rus
                and the Byzantine. (The Western being influenced by the Poles and Tuetonic
                Knights).

                My Question: Does anyone have documentation (pictures or descriptions) of
                what Eastern Lithuanian nobles (particularly men) would have worn in 1410? I
                have a pretty good kit of armor that I have been wearing that is based off
                of the Osprey Military Handbook Battle of Tannenburg 1410, but now I am
                looking for everyday wear/court garb.

                Any information is greatly appreciated.

                ~Gintaras~
                [GIN -tah - rahs]

                >From: "milica_od_tuzla" <carrieafl@...>
                >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [sig] Re: new hat and temple ring help
                >Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:25:11 -0000
                >
                >What about Serb women, did they wear temple rings? And what time
                >frame are we looking at for temple rings?
                >

                >--- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lente <lente@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I sort of remember something temple ring-ish for the magyar ladies
                >but
                > > it may just be a faulty memory or a line drawing of a Rus lady I
                >am
                > > thinking of.
                > > Sigh I wish I even remembered where I saw it right now. Thanks
                >for the
                > > links, I will check them out better on Monday, somedays the
                >holidays are
                > > the pits and today almost qualifies for that.
                > >
                > > I still got to set up my kids easter baskets.
                > >
                > > Kathws

              • kevin purtrell
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 10, 2007
                  <please snip your posts - thanks!>

                  You'll have to come over sometime and look at our Polish costume books. Perhaps I can bring them to a fighting practice some time.

                  -Kevin Ambrozijwski

                  Doug Petroshius <gintarasthetaura@...> wrote:
                  Hello Everyone,

                  I used to be on this list a while ago and have since returned. My name is
                  Gintaras and I am from the Middle. I portray a Lithuanian noble from 1410. I
                  have gathered quite a lot of research and come to the conclusion that the
                  Eastern Lithuanian's clothing (and armor) was mostly influenced by the Rus
                  and the Byzantine. (The Western being influenced by the Poles and Tuetonic
                  Knights).

                  My Question: Does anyone have documentation (pictures or descriptions) of
                  what Eastern Lithuanian nobles (particularly men) would have worn in 1410? I
                  have a pretty good kit of armor that I have been wearing that is based off
                  of the Osprey Military Handbook Battle of Tannenburg 1410, but now I am
                  looking for everyday wear/court garb.

                  Any information is greatly appreciated.

                  ~Gintaras~
                  [GIN -tah - ras]
                • Rick Orli
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 10, 2007
                    1410 is way before my specialty of study (in time) but your
                    conclusion seems odd to me. By eastern Lithuanian, do you mean the
                    Ruthen /Rus natives of Today's east Belarus and Smolensk and east
                    Ukrainian regions of the Grand Duchy? If so OK. But if you mean the
                    small number of actual ethnic Lithuanians in that area, mostly
                    members of the elite ruling and military classes, I don't know. The
                    Lithuanians seemed to be wearing an odd mix of western and eastern
                    in the 1400s, a little unique. In the late 1400s and early 1500s
                    they start looking like new-age Tatars in Kaftans and whatnot. In
                    the mid-late 1500s the Poles adopt the Lithuanian kaftan fashions
                    with a dash of Hungarian in the mix.

                    I went to a Lithuanian festival and some guy started a finger-
                    shaking lecture at me, saying I was dressed as a Pole...not a
                    Lithuanian. Wrong! The Poles copied that zupon and delia and kontuz
                    look from the lithuanians not the other way around.
                    -Rick
                    --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Petroshius" <gintarasthetaura@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hello Everyone,
                    >
                    > I used to be on this list a while ago and have since returned. My
                    name is
                    > Gintaras and I am from the Middle. I portray a Lithuanian noble
                    from 1410. I
                    > have gathered quite a lot of research and come to the conclusion
                    that the
                    > Eastern Lithuanian's clothing (and armor) was mostly influenced by
                    the Rus
                    > and the Byzantine. (The Western being influenced by the Poles and
                    Tuetonic
                    > Knights).
                    >
                    > My Question: Does anyone have documentation (pictures or
                    descriptions) of
                    > what Eastern Lithuanian nobles (particularly men) would have worn
                    in 1410? I
                    > have a pretty good kit of armor that I have been wearing that is
                    based off
                    > of the Osprey Military Handbook Battle of Tannenburg 1410, but now
                    I am
                    > looking for everyday wear/court garb.
                    >
                    > Any information is greatly appreciated.
                    >
                    > ~Gintaras~
                    > [GIN -tah - rahs]
                    >

                    > >From: "milica_od_tuzla" <carrieafl@...>
                    > >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
                    > >Subject: [sig] Re: new hat and temple ring help
                    > >Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:25:11 -0000
                    > >
                    > >What about Serb women, did they wear temple rings? And what time
                    > >frame are we looking at for temple rings?
                    > >

                    > >--- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lente <lente@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I sort of remember something temple ring-ish for the magyar
                    ladies
                    > >but
                    > > > it may just be a faulty memory or a line drawing of a Rus lady
                    > >am
                    > > > thinking of.
                    > > > Sigh I wish I even remembered where I saw it right now. Thanks
                    > >for the
                    > > > links, I will check them out better on Monday, somedays the
                    > >holidays are
                    > > > the pits and today almost qualifies for that.
                    > > >
                    > > > I still got to set up my kids easter baskets.
                    > > >
                    > > > Kathws

                  • Doug Petroshius
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 10, 2007
                      Sorry about the lack of snipping. When I got back on this list, I told
                      myself I wouldn't and then just after I clicked send I said "'DOH!"

                      >1410 is way before my specialty of study (in time) but your
                      >conclusion seems odd to me. By eastern Lithuanian, do you mean the
                      >Ruthen /Rus natives of Today's east Belarus and Smolensk and east
                      >Ukrainian regions of the Grand Duchy? If so OK.

                      My persona was in Central Lithuania in terms of the GDL in that time period.

                      But if you mean the
                      >small number of actual ethnic Lithuanians in that area, mostly
                      >members of the elite ruling and military classes, I don't know.

                      Yes, he would have been of noble birth. But I have portrayed my persona to
                      be of those mounted lithuanians that were at the battle. My research does
                      indicate that the wealthier ones had heavier armor (which I am sure is the
                      case in other cultures).

                      The
                      >Lithuanians seemed to be wearing an odd mix of western and eastern
                      >in the 1400s, a little unique.

                      That helps a lot, actually, but it appears it is the hardest time period to
                      research. At least I know with some level of reasoning that the Polish-Rus
                      thing will work.

                      >I went to a Lithuanian festival and some guy started a finger-
                      >shaking lecture at me, saying I was dressed as a Pole...not a
                      >Lithuanian. Wrong! The Poles copied that zupon and delia and kontuz
                      >look from the lithuanians not the other way around.
                      >-Rick

                      That guy wasn't me!!! :) ----Did he say what a Lithuanian *should* be
                      dressed as?