Re: Input on book

  • S. Butler
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2007
      Subject: Re: Input on book
      Date: 4/2/2007, 11:53
      From: "S. Butler" <Butler309@...>
      To: sig@yahoogroups.com

      sig@yahoogroups.com wrote on 3/28/2007, 03:51:

      > > I was looking for a good source to explain the effect the surrounding
      > > countries had on Poland especially Hungary. If anyone has
      > > suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
      > >
      > > Magdalena Gdanska

      FORMATION OF THE POLISH STATE. by TADEUSZ MANTEUFFEL
      (Andrew Gorski, Trans., Wayne State University Press. Detroit 1982)

      The constant shifting alignments between Hungary, Bohemia, Poland, the
      Holy Roman Empire, the Catholic Church, and others inspired me to try to
      set up a lesson/class (never completed or delivered) where I would
      assign people to hold signs representing the the various factions, and
      move them around as a visual aid as I ran through the history.

      For a brief story from the 11th C regarding Poland and Hungary, you
      might enjoy:
      "A Princess's Life is Not All Tea and Crumpets"
      in SLOVO #10
      http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/slovo/news10.html
      (the link is to the whole newsletter, the story is towards the bottom.)