Banya's Mold

  • banavtai
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hello everyone,

      Forgive the cross-posting, but I'm trying to identify the "old
      chronicle ...from the thirteenth century" mentioned in Russian
      Herbalism by Igor Vilevich Zevin pertaining to the discovery in
      Novgorod of "banya's mold" as a cure for infected wounds.

      Zevin has an annoying habit of throwing in such references all throught
      the book without any footnote to the original source. Can anyone help
      fill in the gap(s)?

      TIA,

      Karaznina Semenova vdova Iul'iana
      BMDL, Aethelmearc
      mka
      Juliana Taper
      Pittsburgh, PA
    • L.M. Kies
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007
        Karaznina, poklon ot Sofya!

        >I'm trying to identify the "old
        >chronicle ...from the thirteenth century" mentioned in Russian
        >Herbalism by Igor Vilevich Zevin pertaining to the discovery in
        >Novgorod of "banya's mold" as a cure for infected wounds.

        The obvious place to look is the Novgorod Chronicle.

        http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/novgorod1.html

        I haven't run across a more complete version on-line, nor am I finding the reference you're looking for in my abbreviated copies of the Chronicle.

        Hard copies would be available at your local university library in:

        Robert Michell and Nevill Forbes, (Translators) The Chronicle of Novgorod, 1016-1417. Camden Third Series. Vol. 25. London: The Camden Society, 1914. Passim et seriatim. reprinted in Warren Walsh, Readings in Russian History, (Syracuse NY: Syracuse University Press, 1948)

        K tvoim uslugam,

        Sofya

        Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser