input on book

  • magdalenag56
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 25, 2007
      I came across excerpts fromt he book A History of Central Europe by
      Oscak Halecki and Andrew L Simon.

      Has anyone read this book and if so do you feel it is a good one to
      have on hand?

      Magdalena Gdanska
    • Ron Jachim
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 25, 2007
        I have "A History of Poland" by the same author, but I haven't read it
        yet. It has no footnotes nor a bibliography, so I wouldn't consider
        it a serious research work, though it looks to be a decent historical
        read.

        IIRC, Norman Davies mentioned it in the Forward of his "God's
        Playground" but I've loaned that one out so I can't look up what he
        wrote about it.

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "magdalenag56" <magdalenag56@...> wrote:

        > I came across excerpts fromt he book A History of Central Europe by
        > Oscak Halecki and Andrew L Simon.
        >
        > Has anyone read this book and if so do you feel it is a good one to
        > have on hand?
        >
        > Magdalena Gdanska

      • magdalenag56
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 26, 2007
          Thank you my friend. I have the Norman Davies and will check. I'll
          post what he says in case others are interested.

          I was looking for a good source to explain the effect the surrounding
          countries had on Poland especially Hungary. If anyone has
          suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

          Magdalena Gdanska
        • aldo

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 27, 2007
              > I was looking for a good source to explain the effect the surrounding
              > countries had on Poland especially Hungary. If anyone has
              > suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
              >
              > Magdalena Gdanska

              I can't remember if this has what you are looking for, but I do
              remember enjoying the read. The Polish way : a thousand-year history of
              the Poles and their culture / Adam Zamoyski. It was a nice change from
              reading about wars.
              Rosie
            • magdalenag56
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 28, 2007
                Thank you Rosie. I'm familiar with 1000 years...Interlibary loan!

                Magdalena