Re: [sig] Old Church Slavonic references

  • apacuska@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 7, 2007
      'Dok asked: Aleksa, Which is more durable? Though goat would be a very good pun! Sure, I'd definitely apreciate the info.!

      Goat or sheepskin are obviously more durable than paper (although to be fair, modern papers are very very very durable). Skin parchment will run you a pretty penny - over $12 a sheet most places (to give you an idea, I hand painted and lettered all the invitations for my wedding last year and to do skin parchment the estimate was $1500-1800 for 22 8"x 10" sheets; but it seems to be getting more popular). Some places sell by the square foot because most users are book restoration services.

      Because the skin parchment reacts very differently than paper to inks, dyes, and paints, you need to pick up a few extra sheets to practice on before you do your "final" renditions. You may also have to change your pigments. Modern pigments are formulated for paper so you need more practice for them as well (recommend gouache; artist quality gouache from old manufacturers like Winsor Newton or Yarka). Because Botanical illustrators have traditionally used parchment for their work, you will find many good pointers in a lot of Botanical illustration books (you do want to look specifically for the tell tale color of the background). As I recall, Artist's Magazine or Watercolor ran a story either late 2005 or early 2006 on the subject of botanical illustrations on skin parchment. I'd have to look up the issue. Because much of the market has traditionally been book restoration, if you search around for bookmakers and restorers that can also lead you to the stuff. You may also fi
      nd it under "vellum".

      Please note that the treatment of the skin will affect how well the pigments take to the skins - you should look for calligrapher's vellum/parchment.

      Here are some good (and "reasonable") sources:
      http://www.pergamena.net/
      http://www.bookmakerscatalog.com/catalog/leather/vellum.htm#VELLUM
      http://www.sterntanning.com/vellumpricelist.htm

      Aleksa
    • DOUGLAS PETROFF
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 7, 2007
        Would you like a copy of the alphabet and pronunciation? SergiusB

        Stephanie Ross wrote:

        > Anyone have any reputable historical reference suggestions relating to Old
        > Church Slavonic (both as a liturgical and otherwise written language)?
        > This
        > request comes from another list. I definitely think this list is the place
        > to ask.
        >
        > Nadya
        > Et si omnes, ego non.
        >
        > "A faithful friend is the medicine of life."
        > -- Apocrypha

      • Stephanie Ross
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 8, 2007
          Yes, please, I think that might be a good place for the questioner to start.

          Nadya

          Stephanie Ross wrote:

          > Anyone have any reputable historical reference suggestions relating to Old
          > Church Slavonic (both as a liturgical and otherwise written language)?
        • Lente
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
            Okay I took pictures but about half of them are really blurry so on
            Monday I will try again and retake clearer pictures with the camera on
            the tripod, I should have done that the first time. FYI at the front of
            the book is the only color image, I will take a picture of it in its
            entirety and then closer views of it in 3 shots. all the other pictures
            are in black and white but I plan to post them all in the photo section
            or file section if possible.

            Sorry for not getting them posted this week, I couldn't stand the messy
            house anymore so it got a major pick up started instead.
            Kathws

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 19, 2007
              Thanks! That is so very great of you to do or us!
              Clean your house first. I'm around four kids all th
              etime so I know that compulsion quite well indeed!!!
              'dok
              --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:

              > Okay I took pictures but about half of them are
              > really blurry so on
              > Monday I will try again and retake clearer pictures
              > with the camera on
              > the tripod, I should have done that the first time.
              > FYI at the front of
              > the book is the only color image, I will take a
              > picture of it in its
              > entirety and then closer views of it in 3 shots. all
              > the other pictures
              > are in black and white but I plan to post them all
              > in the photo section
              > or file section if possible.
              >
              > Sorry for not getting them posted this week, I
              > couldn't stand the messy
              > house anymore so it got a major pick up started
              > instead.
              > Kathws
              >
              > Tim Nalley wrote:
              > > Lente,
              > > Actually, I think that might be the one! Would you
              > > mind doing that? I'm shopping around for parchment
              > at
              > > the moment!
              > > Thanks!
              > > 'dok
              > > --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:
              > >

              > >> Hmm, which bible? I have the Library of congress
              > >> facsimile copy of the
              > >> Nekcsei-Lipocz bible. Every blurb I see online
              > says
              > >> its a 14th century
              > >> manuscript from Hungary illuminated by Italian
              > >> artists.

            • Lente
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 24, 2007
                Okay I have some of the pictures taken of the nekcsei-lipocz bible but
                Yahoo keeps timing out on me while I am trying to upload some of the
                pictures. yahoo just wasn't liking me one bit yesterday. So I will see
                if I can figure out basic website making and stick them out on
                geocities, tripod or something like, ideally it will be on the cableone
                space we have but I need to get the password from my husband so not
                guaranteeing that. I will let everyone know by Monday hopefully that I
                have the pictures up somewhere. At least that will be my plan.

                Kathws