Re: [sig] Old Church Slavonic references

  • goldschp@tds.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
      What exactly are they looking for? A grammar textbook? A high level overview?

      -- Paul

    • Budandcynth@wmconnect.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
        Maybe ask an Orthodox priest in the area?

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
          I would. I'm having my elevation scroll done finally
          and am planning on having the calligraphy done in Old
          Church Slavonic, if possible. The border is going to
          be illumination from a period bible I found online but
          have had trouble finding a more detailed color picture
          of!
          'dok
          --- goldschp@... wrote:

          > What exactly are they looking for? A grammar
          > textbook? A high level overview?
          >
          > -- Paul
          >

          > > From: "Stephanie Ross" <hlaislinn@...>
          > > Date: 2007/03/02 Fri AM 08:11:05 CST
          > >
          > > Anyone have any reputable historical reference
          > suggestions relating to Old
          > > Church Slavonic (both as a liturgical and
          > otherwise written language)? This
          > > request comes from another list. I definitely
          > think this list is the place
          > > to ask.
          > >

          > > Nadya

          http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
        • John Kowal
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 3, 2007
            Greetings All;

            Great Idea, I did something similar in that I had my friend stylize her
            script in lay out and look for my peerage scroll add I used a period
            illumination as the basis for the figure of myself.

            On 2-Mar-07, at 1:50 PM, Tim Nalley wrote:
            > I would. I'm having my elevation scroll done finally
            > and am planning on having the calligraphy done in Old
            > Church Slavonic, if possible. The border is going to
            > be illumination from a period bible I found online but
            > have had trouble finding a more detailed color picture
            > of!
            > 'dok

            The source I used was Medieval Slavic Lives of Saints and Princes, by
            Marvin Kantor, Ann Abor 1983 University of Michigan, isbn 0-930042-44-1
            if you can't locate that let me know and I will site some of the
            sources within the book.
            AVL

          • Lente
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 3, 2007
              Hmm, which bible? I have the Library of congress facsimile copy of the
              Nekcsei-Lipocz bible. Every blurb I see online says its a 14th century
              manuscript from Hungary illuminated by Italian artists. If its that one
              I could take photos of some of the pages and put them in the files. Just
              not until after this coming weekend, by then the braincells that remind
              me to do more then breath will maybe have stopped panicking. Next
              weekend is crown tourney and we are entered in it, that's why the
              braincells are taking a panic vacation.

              Old Church Slavonic, are there any manuscripts listed in the SIG
              website's annotated bibliography as having used it? okay so maybe its
              not my best thought on it.

              eep
              Kathws

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 5, 2007
                Lente,
                Actually, I think that might be the one! Would you
                mind doing that? I'm shopping around for parchment at
                the moment!
                Thanks!
                'dok
                --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:

                > Hmm, which bible? I have the Library of congress
                > facsimile copy of the
                > Nekcsei-Lipocz bible. Every blurb I see online says
                > its a 14th century
                > manuscript from Hungary illuminated by Italian
                > artists. If its that one
                > I could take photos of some of the pages and put
                > them in the files. Just
                > not until after this coming weekend, by then the
                > braincells that remind
                > me to do more then breath will maybe have stopped
                > panicking. Next
                > weekend is crown tourney and we are entered in it,
                > that's why the
                > braincells are taking a panic vacation.
                >
                > Old Church Slavonic, are there any manuscripts
                > listed in the SIG
                > website's annotated bibliography as having used it?
                > okay so maybe its
                > not my best thought on it.
                >
                > eep
                > Kathws
                >
                > Tim Nalley wrote:
                > > I would. I'm having my elevation scroll done
                > finally
                > > and am planning on having the calligraphy done in
                > Old
                > > Church Slavonic, if possible. The border is going
                > > be illumination from a period bible I found online
                > but
                > > have had trouble finding a more detailed color
                > picture
                > > of!
                > > 'dok
                > > --- goldschp@... wrote:

                It's here! Your new message!
              • Lente
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 5, 2007
                  no problem, I will see about taking the photos of images next week and
                  uploading them in the photos or file section. sigh I think I am done
                  typing, you really don't want to know how many words I misspelled and
                  had to correct...

                  Kathws

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 6, 2007
                    I love my spellcheck too!!!!

                    http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                  • apacuska@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 6, 2007
                      'Dok said: I'm shopping around for parchment at
                      the moment!

                      The real sheep or goat skin variety or the paper variety? I'm presuming you are looking for the real variety. I have several sources if you want them.

                      Aleksa
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 7, 2007
                        Aleksa,
                        Which is more durable? Though goat would be a very
                        good pun! Sure, I'd definitely apreciate the info.!
                        'dok

                        http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
                      • apacuska@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 7, 2007
                          'Dok asked: Aleksa, Which is more durable? Though goat would be a very good pun! Sure, I'd definitely apreciate the info.!

                          Goat or sheepskin are obviously more durable than paper (although to be fair, modern papers are very very very durable). Skin parchment will run you a pretty penny - over $12 a sheet most places (to give you an idea, I hand painted and lettered all the invitations for my wedding last year and to do skin parchment the estimate was $1500-1800 for 22 8"x 10" sheets; but it seems to be getting more popular). Some places sell by the square foot because most users are book restoration services.

                          Because the skin parchment reacts very differently than paper to inks, dyes, and paints, you need to pick up a few extra sheets to practice on before you do your "final" renditions. You may also have to change your pigments. Modern pigments are formulated for paper so you need more practice for them as well (recommend gouache; artist quality gouache from old manufacturers like Winsor Newton or Yarka). Because Botanical illustrators have traditionally used parchment for their work, you will find many good pointers in a lot of Botanical illustration books (you do want to look specifically for the tell tale color of the background). As I recall, Artist's Magazine or Watercolor ran a story either late 2005 or early 2006 on the subject of botanical illustrations on skin parchment. I'd have to look up the issue. Because much of the market has traditionally been book restoration, if you search around for bookmakers and restorers that can also lead you to the stuff. You may also fi
                          nd it under "vellum".

                          Please note that the treatment of the skin will affect how well the pigments take to the skins - you should look for calligrapher's vellum/parchment.

                          Here are some good (and "reasonable") sources:
                          http://www.pergamena.net/
                          http://www.bookmakerscatalog.com/catalog/leather/vellum.htm#VELLUM
                          http://www.sterntanning.com/vellumpricelist.htm

                          Aleksa
                        • DOUGLAS PETROFF
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 7, 2007
                            Would you like a copy of the alphabet and pronunciation? SergiusB

                            Stephanie Ross wrote:

                            > Anyone have any reputable historical reference suggestions relating to Old
                            > Church Slavonic (both as a liturgical and otherwise written language)?
                            > This
                            > request comes from another list. I definitely think this list is the place
                            > to ask.
                            >
                            > Nadya
                            > Et si omnes, ego non.
                            >
                            > "A faithful friend is the medicine of life."
                            > -- Apocrypha

                          • Stephanie Ross
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 8, 2007
                              Yes, please, I think that might be a good place for the questioner to start.

                              Nadya

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
                                Okay I took pictures but about half of them are really blurry so on
                                Monday I will try again and retake clearer pictures with the camera on
                                the tripod, I should have done that the first time. FYI at the front of
                                the book is the only color image, I will take a picture of it in its
                                entirety and then closer views of it in 3 shots. all the other pictures
                                are in black and white but I plan to post them all in the photo section
                                or file section if possible.

                                Sorry for not getting them posted this week, I couldn't stand the messy
                                house anymore so it got a major pick up started instead.
                                Kathws

                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 19, 2007
                                  Thanks! That is so very great of you to do or us!
                                  Clean your house first. I'm around four kids all th
                                  etime so I know that compulsion quite well indeed!!!
                                  'dok
                                  --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:

                                  > Okay I took pictures but about half of them are
                                  > really blurry so on
                                  > Monday I will try again and retake clearer pictures
                                  > with the camera on
                                  > the tripod, I should have done that the first time.
                                  > FYI at the front of
                                  > the book is the only color image, I will take a
                                  > picture of it in its
                                  > entirety and then closer views of it in 3 shots. all
                                  > the other pictures
                                  > are in black and white but I plan to post them all
                                  > in the photo section
                                  > or file section if possible.
                                  >
                                  > Sorry for not getting them posted this week, I
                                  > couldn't stand the messy
                                  > house anymore so it got a major pick up started
                                  > instead.
                                  > Kathws
                                  >
                                  > Tim Nalley wrote:
                                  > > Lente,
                                  > > Actually, I think that might be the one! Would you
                                  > > mind doing that? I'm shopping around for parchment
                                  > at
                                  > > the moment!
                                  > > Thanks!
                                  > > 'dok
                                  > > --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > >> Hmm, which bible? I have the Library of congress
                                  > >> facsimile copy of the
                                  > >> Nekcsei-Lipocz bible. Every blurb I see online
                                  > says
                                  > >> its a 14th century
                                  > >> manuscript from Hungary illuminated by Italian
                                  > >> artists.

                                • Lente
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 24, 2007
                                    Okay I have some of the pictures taken of the nekcsei-lipocz bible but
                                    Yahoo keeps timing out on me while I am trying to upload some of the
                                    pictures. yahoo just wasn't liking me one bit yesterday. So I will see
                                    if I can figure out basic website making and stick them out on
                                    geocities, tripod or something like, ideally it will be on the cableone
                                    space we have but I need to get the password from my husband so not
                                    guaranteeing that. I will let everyone know by Monday hopefully that I
                                    have the pictures up somewhere. At least that will be my plan.

                                    Kathws