Old Church Slavonic references

  • Stephanie Ross
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
      Anyone have any reputable historical reference suggestions relating to Old
      Church Slavonic (both as a liturgical and otherwise written language)? This
      request comes from another list. I definitely think this list is the place
      to ask.

      Nadya
      Et si omnes, ego non.

      "A faithful friend is the medicine of life."
      -- Apocrypha
    • L.M. Kies
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007

        Try here (towards the bottom of the page):

        http://www.puluka.com/churchslavonic/

        K tvoim uslugam,

        Sofya

        Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
        "Si no necare, sana."
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
          What exactly are they looking for? A grammar textbook? A high level overview?

          -- Paul

        • Budandcynth@wmconnect.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
            Maybe ask an Orthodox priest in the area?

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
              I would. I'm having my elevation scroll done finally
              and am planning on having the calligraphy done in Old
              Church Slavonic, if possible. The border is going to
              be illumination from a period bible I found online but
              have had trouble finding a more detailed color picture
              of!
              'dok
              --- goldschp@... wrote:

              > What exactly are they looking for? A grammar
              > textbook? A high level overview?
              >
              > -- Paul
              >

              > > From: "Stephanie Ross" <hlaislinn@...>
              > > Date: 2007/03/02 Fri AM 08:11:05 CST
              > >
              > > Anyone have any reputable historical reference
              > suggestions relating to Old
              > > Church Slavonic (both as a liturgical and
              > otherwise written language)? This
              > > request comes from another list. I definitely
              > think this list is the place
              > > to ask.
              > >

              > > Nadya

              http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
            • John Kowal
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 3, 2007
                Greetings All;

                Great Idea, I did something similar in that I had my friend stylize her
                script in lay out and look for my peerage scroll add I used a period
                illumination as the basis for the figure of myself.

                On 2-Mar-07, at 1:50 PM, Tim Nalley wrote:
                > I would. I'm having my elevation scroll done finally
                > and am planning on having the calligraphy done in Old
                > Church Slavonic, if possible. The border is going to
                > be illumination from a period bible I found online but
                > have had trouble finding a more detailed color picture
                > of!
                > 'dok

                The source I used was Medieval Slavic Lives of Saints and Princes, by
                Marvin Kantor, Ann Abor 1983 University of Michigan, isbn 0-930042-44-1
                if you can't locate that let me know and I will site some of the
                sources within the book.
                AVL

              • Lente
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 3, 2007
                  Hmm, which bible? I have the Library of congress facsimile copy of the
                  Nekcsei-Lipocz bible. Every blurb I see online says its a 14th century
                  manuscript from Hungary illuminated by Italian artists. If its that one
                  I could take photos of some of the pages and put them in the files. Just
                  not until after this coming weekend, by then the braincells that remind
                  me to do more then breath will maybe have stopped panicking. Next
                  weekend is crown tourney and we are entered in it, that's why the
                  braincells are taking a panic vacation.

                  Old Church Slavonic, are there any manuscripts listed in the SIG
                  website's annotated bibliography as having used it? okay so maybe its
                  not my best thought on it.

                  eep
                  Kathws

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 5, 2007
                    Lente,
                    Actually, I think that might be the one! Would you
                    mind doing that? I'm shopping around for parchment at
                    the moment!
                    Thanks!
                    'dok
                    --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:

                    > Hmm, which bible? I have the Library of congress
                    > facsimile copy of the
                    > Nekcsei-Lipocz bible. Every blurb I see online says
                    > its a 14th century
                    > manuscript from Hungary illuminated by Italian
                    > artists. If its that one
                    > I could take photos of some of the pages and put
                    > them in the files. Just
                    > not until after this coming weekend, by then the
                    > braincells that remind
                    > me to do more then breath will maybe have stopped
                    > panicking. Next
                    > weekend is crown tourney and we are entered in it,
                    > that's why the
                    > braincells are taking a panic vacation.
                    >
                    > Old Church Slavonic, are there any manuscripts
                    > listed in the SIG
                    > website's annotated bibliography as having used it?
                    > okay so maybe its
                    > not my best thought on it.
                    >
                    > eep
                    > Kathws
                    >
                    > Tim Nalley wrote:
                    > > I would. I'm having my elevation scroll done
                    > finally
                    > > and am planning on having the calligraphy done in
                    > Old
                    > > Church Slavonic, if possible. The border is going
                    > > be illumination from a period bible I found online
                    > but
                    > > have had trouble finding a more detailed color
                    > picture
                    > > of!
                    > > 'dok
                    > > --- goldschp@... wrote:

                    It's here! Your new message!
                  • Lente
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 5, 2007
                      no problem, I will see about taking the photos of images next week and
                      uploading them in the photos or file section. sigh I think I am done
                      typing, you really don't want to know how many words I misspelled and
                      had to correct...

                      Kathws

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 6, 2007
                        I love my spellcheck too!!!!

                        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                      • apacuska@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 6, 2007
                          'Dok said: I'm shopping around for parchment at
                          the moment!

                          The real sheep or goat skin variety or the paper variety? I'm presuming you are looking for the real variety. I have several sources if you want them.

                          Aleksa
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 7, 2007
                            Aleksa,
                            Which is more durable? Though goat would be a very
                            good pun! Sure, I'd definitely apreciate the info.!
                            'dok

                            http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
                          • apacuska@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 7, 2007
                              'Dok asked: Aleksa, Which is more durable? Though goat would be a very good pun! Sure, I'd definitely apreciate the info.!

                              Goat or sheepskin are obviously more durable than paper (although to be fair, modern papers are very very very durable). Skin parchment will run you a pretty penny - over $12 a sheet most places (to give you an idea, I hand painted and lettered all the invitations for my wedding last year and to do skin parchment the estimate was $1500-1800 for 22 8"x 10" sheets; but it seems to be getting more popular). Some places sell by the square foot because most users are book restoration services.

                              Because the skin parchment reacts very differently than paper to inks, dyes, and paints, you need to pick up a few extra sheets to practice on before you do your "final" renditions. You may also have to change your pigments. Modern pigments are formulated for paper so you need more practice for them as well (recommend gouache; artist quality gouache from old manufacturers like Winsor Newton or Yarka). Because Botanical illustrators have traditionally used parchment for their work, you will find many good pointers in a lot of Botanical illustration books (you do want to look specifically for the tell tale color of the background). As I recall, Artist's Magazine or Watercolor ran a story either late 2005 or early 2006 on the subject of botanical illustrations on skin parchment. I'd have to look up the issue. Because much of the market has traditionally been book restoration, if you search around for bookmakers and restorers that can also lead you to the stuff. You may also fi
                              nd it under "vellum".

                              Please note that the treatment of the skin will affect how well the pigments take to the skins - you should look for calligrapher's vellum/parchment.

                              Here are some good (and "reasonable") sources:
                              http://www.pergamena.net/
                              http://www.bookmakerscatalog.com/catalog/leather/vellum.htm#VELLUM
                              http://www.sterntanning.com/vellumpricelist.htm

                              Aleksa
                            • DOUGLAS PETROFF
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 7, 2007
                                Would you like a copy of the alphabet and pronunciation? SergiusB

                                Stephanie Ross wrote:

                                > Anyone have any reputable historical reference suggestions relating to Old
                                > Church Slavonic (both as a liturgical and otherwise written language)?
                                > This
                                > request comes from another list. I definitely think this list is the place
                                > to ask.
                                >
                                > Nadya
                                > Et si omnes, ego non.
                                >
                                > "A faithful friend is the medicine of life."
                                > -- Apocrypha

                              • Stephanie Ross
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 8, 2007
                                  Yes, please, I think that might be a good place for the questioner to start.

                                  Nadya

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
                                    Okay I took pictures but about half of them are really blurry so on
                                    Monday I will try again and retake clearer pictures with the camera on
                                    the tripod, I should have done that the first time. FYI at the front of
                                    the book is the only color image, I will take a picture of it in its
                                    entirety and then closer views of it in 3 shots. all the other pictures
                                    are in black and white but I plan to post them all in the photo section
                                    or file section if possible.

                                    Sorry for not getting them posted this week, I couldn't stand the messy
                                    house anymore so it got a major pick up started instead.
                                    Kathws

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 19, 2007
                                      Thanks! That is so very great of you to do or us!
                                      Clean your house first. I'm around four kids all th
                                      etime so I know that compulsion quite well indeed!!!
                                      'dok
                                      --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:

                                      > Okay I took pictures but about half of them are
                                      > really blurry so on
                                      > Monday I will try again and retake clearer pictures
                                      > with the camera on
                                      > the tripod, I should have done that the first time.
                                      > FYI at the front of
                                      > the book is the only color image, I will take a
                                      > picture of it in its
                                      > entirety and then closer views of it in 3 shots. all
                                      > the other pictures
                                      > are in black and white but I plan to post them all
                                      > in the photo section
                                      > or file section if possible.
                                      >
                                      > Sorry for not getting them posted this week, I
                                      > couldn't stand the messy
                                      > house anymore so it got a major pick up started
                                      > instead.
                                      > Kathws
                                      >
                                      > Tim Nalley wrote:
                                      > > Lente,
                                      > > Actually, I think that might be the one! Would you
                                      > > mind doing that? I'm shopping around for parchment
                                      > at
                                      > > the moment!
                                      > > Thanks!
                                      > > 'dok
                                      > > --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > >> Hmm, which bible? I have the Library of congress
                                      > >> facsimile copy of the
                                      > >> Nekcsei-Lipocz bible. Every blurb I see online
                                      > says
                                      > >> its a 14th century
                                      > >> manuscript from Hungary illuminated by Italian
                                      > >> artists.

                                    • Lente
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 24, 2007
                                        Okay I have some of the pictures taken of the nekcsei-lipocz bible but
                                        Yahoo keeps timing out on me while I am trying to upload some of the
                                        pictures. yahoo just wasn't liking me one bit yesterday. So I will see
                                        if I can figure out basic website making and stick them out on
                                        geocities, tripod or something like, ideally it will be on the cableone
                                        space we have but I need to get the password from my husband so not
                                        guaranteeing that. I will let everyone know by Monday hopefully that I
                                        have the pictures up somewhere. At least that will be my plan.

                                        Kathws