Re: Period Ukrainian Costumes

  • Kataryna Dragonweaver
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 1, 2007
      I'll poke around Vegreville and see what I can find. The dance groups
      here are also on pretty tight budgets - so they must have something.
      -Kataryna

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, bettybetravellin <bettybetravellin@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the info. As well as looking to see if I can do
      period-style Ukie garb for myself that will double duty for the SCA
      and when I am in front of an audience speaking, I also teach Ukie dance.
      > So, I am also looking to find some plakhta material for the adult
      group I've just started. Unfortunately, the budget is tight, so alas,
      having it woven here or purchasing it from Ukraine, is not an option.

      > If anyone else has any ideas for inexpensive look-a-likes for the
      plakhta material (Poltava), I'm all ears! (I've thought about using
      plaid, but it looks, well, plaid, and doesn't work, in my opinion).

      > Thanks!
      > Jeanne
      >
      > Susan Koziel <kataryna_dragonweaver@...> wrote:
      > I think this (see below) was supposed to go to the list
      and not to me personally; since I wasn't the one looking for the fabric.

      > As an aside, I do know someone who will do replica commision work
      for Ukrainian weaving; but it doesn't come quickly or cheaply as her
      contracts with museums take precedence. It's significantly more the
      95$ a meter - but it will be from wool. If anyone is interested, I can
      put you in touch with her.