moderation

  • Alastair Millar (IOL)
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12, 2007
      Although pressure of work prevents me committing to taking on the full
      role, I'd be happy to act as a backup - I run a mailing list for
      professional translators already (around 120 members), and previously
      co-moderated the GlossPost list (again for translators) when it was
      young and only had around 1000 members, so I have a little experience ;)

      Alastair
      (Not dead, just quiet)
    • Su Ralston
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 12, 2007
        I've been emailing back and forth with Paul off-list...

        Mostly he explained that 'listserv' is an older term for what
        Yahoogroups calls a 'moderator'.

        I've acted as owner/moderator for some of the local Yahoogroup
        lists... I'm fairly familiar with what is required.

        I will commit to being a full time moderator - if I can occasionally
        get some back up for the days I'm not available (such as this
        weekend, I will be in Arizona from Wednesday evening thru Monday
        evening).

        I usually check email twice daily.

        Personally, I would appreciate having Alastair, Zygmunt and Paul
        available for emergencies and as backup.

        Su of the Silver Horn, Caid
        Su Ralston, Fullerton, CA
        (Just hope California doesn't get a Big One, or Liudmila, Soraya and
        I will all fall in the ocean ;-P)

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Alastair Millar \(IOL\)" <alastair@...>
        wrote:

        > Although pressure of work prevents me committing to taking on the
        full
        > role, I'd be happy to act as a backup - I run a mailing list for
        > professional translators already (around 120 members), and
        previously
        > co-moderated the GlossPost list (again for translators) when it was
        > young and only had around 1000 members, so I have a little
        experience ;)

        > Alastair
        > (Not dead, just quiet)

      • Lewis Tanzos
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
          > Mostly he explained that 'listserv' is an older term for what
          > Yahoogroups calls a 'moderator'.

          "Listserv" is the name of the original mailing list software,
          currently a commercial product. Much like 'Xerox', the first major
          name used is what people associated with the process. There are a lot
          of people that call them "listservs", rather than "mailing lists".
          Like Xerox, using the term for the capability it provides is both
          incorrect and something that the company that holds the trademark
          would like you to stop doing.

          I'm not sure where the equation of 'moderator' and 'listserv' came
          from -- this is the first time I've heard of it. Listserv calls those
          people 'moderators'.

          ...we now return from this irregularly-schedule off-topic issue to
          your regular Slavic goodness.

          - Istvan
        • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
            On 2/13/07, Su Ralston <suralston@...> wrote:

            > I've been emailing back and forth with Paul off-list...
            >
            > Mostly he explained that 'listserv' is an older term for what
            > Yahoogroups calls a 'moderator'.
            >
            > I've acted as owner/moderator for some of the local Yahoogroup
            > lists... I'm fairly familiar with what is required.
            >
            > I will commit to being a full time moderator - if I can occasionally
            > get some back up for the days I'm not available (such as this
            > weekend, I will be in Arizona from Wednesday evening thru Monday
            > evening).
            >
            > I usually check email twice daily.
            >
            > Personally, I would appreciate having Alastair, Zygmunt and Paul
            > available for emergencies and as backup.
            >
            > Su of the Silver Horn, Caid
            > Su Ralston, Fullerton, CA
            > (Just hope California doesn't get a Big One, or Liudmila, Soraya and
            > I will all fall in the ocean ;-P)
            >
            > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com <sig%40yahoogroups.com>, "Alastair Millar
            > \(IOL\)" <alastair@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Although pressure of work prevents me committing to taking on the
            > full
            > > role, I'd be happy to act as a backup - I run a mailing list for
            > > professional translators already (around 120 members), and
            > previously
            > > co-moderated the GlossPost list (again for translators) when it was
            > > young and only had around 1000 members, so I have a little
            > experience ;)
            > >
            > > Alastair
            > > (Not dead, just quiet)

            I'll be a back up. :)
            --
            Czesc Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
            Middle Kingdom, Pentamere, Shire of Talonval

          • Jenn
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 15, 2007
              Okay, so far I have the following people interested. Correct me is I'm
              wrong:

              Paul--owner?
              Su--owner?
              Zygmunt--backup
              Alastair--backup
              Liudmila--backup

              Who wants to be the "owner (they get all power, including the ability
              to delete the group...)?" I need to transfer that particular position
              to someone or else I continue to get all alerts on posts and new members.

              And second, do you want me to turn over duties in one fell swoop, or
              make all of you backup moderators first, so you can see what you are
              in for? Now watch, we won't have any new members or pending posts for
              over a month...

              --Yana
            • goldschp@tds.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 15, 2007
                I think you have the list of volunteers correct.

                And I'm fond of option 2. Let's see what being a moderator is like.

                My 0.03.

                Thanks,
                Paul

              • goldschp@tds.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 15, 2007
                  I think you have the list of volunteers correct.

                  And I'm fond of option 2. Let's see what being a moderator is like.

                  My 0.03.

                  Thanks,
                  Paul

                  > From: "Jenn" <yanajenn@...>
                  > Date: 2007/02/15 Thu PM 06:08:38 CST
                  > To: sig@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [sig] Re: moderation
                  >
                  > Okay, so far I have the following people interested. Correct me is I'm
                  > wrong:
                  >
                  > Paul--owner?
                  > Su--owner?
                  > Zygmunt--backup
                  > Alastair--backup
                  > Liudmila--backup
                  >
                  > Who wants to be the "owner (they get all power, including the ability
                  > to delete the group...)?" I need to transfer that particular position
                  > to someone or else I continue to get all alerts on posts and new members.
                  >
                  > And second, do you want me to turn over duties in one fell swoop, or
                  > make all of you backup moderators first, so you can see what you are
                  > in for? Now watch, we won't have any new members or pending posts for
                  > over a month...
                  >
                  > --Yana

                • Su Ralston
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 19, 2007
                    I'm back from Estrella..

                    And I agree with Paul. I'd be interested in seeing what the volume
                    is like.

                    Su

                    Paul wrote:
                    > And I'm fond of option 2. Let's see what being a moderator is like.

                    Jana asked: