RE: Re: [sig] Russian Bag/Beltbag?

  • steffi kring
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 12, 2007
      Hi,
      thank you very much for your help, that helps a lot.
      :-)

      http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/8979/russiahm0.jpg

      > > Pictures are from the book:
      > > Drevnyaya Rus': Byt i kultura
      > >
      > >Now my question, does anybody know, from which
      > > part of russia the bags are, and how they are
      > dated?
      > >

      > The items on that page are all from Novgorod. The
      > captions do not give the dates. I don't have access
      > to the main text that would discuss them in Kolchin
      > (I only copied the pictures) - it sounds like
      > Kseniia can find that for us... but I have some
      > other books...
      >
      > I haven't found sumka (pocketbook) #9 yet, but sumka
      > #10 is 13th century according to Drevnij Novgorod:
      > Prikladnoe Iskusstvo i Arkheologiya. A similar
      > "kalita" is dated to the 15th century in
      > Rabinovich's Drevnyaya Odezhda Narodov Vostochnoj
      > Evropy. The koshel'ki (purses) on the same page of
      > Kolchin (#1-8) range from 13th-15th century.
      >
      > I hope that helps.
      >
      > Sofya

      > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
      > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
      > "Si no necare, sana."

      > removed]

    • Su Ralston
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 13, 2007
        Thanks to Steffi for asking about these and Sofya for the citations.

        My question, do we have scale measurements? As in, are they 3"
        across or 6"?

        Thanks in advance,
        Su

        Steffi asked:
        > > I´ve got a question about these two bags.
        > > http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/8979/russiahm0.jpg

        Sofya replied:
        > The items on that page are all from Novgorod. The captions do not
        give the dates. I don't have access to the main text that would
        discuss them in Kolchin (I only copied the pictures) - it sounds like
        Kseniia can find that for us... but I have some other books...

        > I haven't found sumka (pocketbook) #9 yet, but sumka #10 is 13th
        century according to Drevnij Novgorod: Prikladnoe Iskusstvo i
        Arkheologiya. A similar "kalita" is dated to the 15th century in
        Rabinovich's Drevnyaya Odezhda Narodov Vostochnoj Evropy. The
        koshel'ki (purses) on the same page of Kolchin (#1-8) range from 13th-
        15th century.
      • L.M. Kies
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 13, 2007

          About 8 inches wide. (The scale on the orginal page in Kolchin is in centimeters.)

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 13, 2007
            Sofya wrote:

> [...]

            Just perfect! (My purse is about 6 1/2 x 8 so if I dump a bit it
            should hold almost everything!)

            Thanks again!
            Su
          • Gloryanna MacKee
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 16, 2007
              As I neither speak or can really read Russian, Polish or Latin, I am
              wondering if there is there a speciall calligraphy style they used? I can
              read a bit of Lithuanian, But haven't found much online as of yet. I would
              find it interesting to try doing a Scroll in one of the above writing.

              Gloryanna

              Find what you need at prices you�ll love. Compare products and save at MSN�
              Shopping.
              http://shopping.msn.com/default/shp/?ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24102&tcode=T001MSN20A0701
            • L.M. Kies
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 16, 2007
                Poklon ot Sofya.

                You could try these links:

                http://character.webzone.ru/ - has scans of period Russian manuscripts. Even if you don't know Russian, you'll be able to recognize the dates. XI would be 11th cent., 1397, etc.
                http://character.webzone.ru/ - some of the illustrations have snippets of calligraphy.
                http://kodeks.uni-bamberg.de/Russia/Texts/SolovVostFacs.htm - 17th cent. manuscript
                http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/themes/euromanuscripts/bulggosp.html - Bulgarian gospel of Tsar Ivan Alexander.
                http://knowledgepages.scadianrus.org/calligraphy.html - links on the Russian Knowledge Pages. Compare with above.

                K tvoim uslugam,

                Sofya

                Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
                http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                "Si no necare, sana."
              • quokkaqueen
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 17, 2007
                  Well, you mentioned Lithuanian, so you could try these:

                  http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.php-URL_ID=7336&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=-459.html
                  http://pergamentai.mch.mii.lt/IstoriniaiLietDok/indexen.en.htm

                  Both are from the SIG Baltic page http://www.499angels.net/baltic/li.html

                  Enjoy,
                  ~Asfridhr
                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Gloryanna MacKee" <gloryannamackee@...>
                  <<snip>>
                  I can
                  > read a bit of Lithuanian, But haven't found much online as of yet. I
                  would
                  > find it interesting to try doing a Scroll in one of the above writing.
                  >
                  > Gloryanna
                  <<snip>>