Moderator vs listserv

  • Su Ralston
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2007
      Paul wrote:
      > My position is that I can do the moderator job and I'll do an OK job
      > at it, but I have always liked the idea that the SIG-L was not run by
      > me (after all, I run SIG itself). Having another person in charge of
      > the listserv helps to provide some variety. Ideally, if I'm going to
      > be the moderator, I'd like to train a deputy and have them transition
      > into the role of running the listserv in the future. So, if someone
      > (like Su?) is willing to help for now, that would be great.

      I am currently willing to be a moderator for the list. I don't know what a
      listserv does, so I don't want to commit to something that I can not do or
      don't have time for... could you explain some more?

      Thanks!
      Su
    • Paul W Goldschmidt
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 10, 2007
        A listserv is what this discussion group is. When I said "running
        the listserv," I meant moderating.
        Sorry for the confusion.

        As for the responsibilities, Yana could probably comment more fully,
        but basically it involves approving/not approving messages from
        people on moderated status, watching over the discussions to make
        sure that things stay civil, keeping an eye of the "bounce" list to
        see if messages to a particular email are being returned, and other
        sorts of maintenance issues.

        When you said that you are willing to be a moderator, what did you
        have in mind? Did it include these sorts of tasks or did you mean
        something else?

        Thanks,
        Paul

        At 11:18 AM 2/10/2007, you wrote:
        >I am currently willing to be a moderator for the list. I don't know what a
        >listserv does, so I don't want to commit to something that I can not do or
        >don't have time for... could you explain some more?
        >
        >Thanks!
        >Su
      • Su Ralston
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 2007
          Paul wrote:
          > A listserv is what this discussion group is. When I said "running
          > the listserv," I meant moderating.
          > Sorry for the confusion.

          I'm good! (See, use a new buzzword like 'listserv' and I get
          confused, use 'moderator' like Yahoogroups uses and I'm okay! ;-P)

          I've been the owner/moderator on several other Yahoo lists.

          You can count me in,
          Su