Re: linen underwear was: A question about cotton...

  • Ilijana Krakowska
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 24, 2007
      Well, having form-fitting underwear with the wonderful properties of linen would be heavenly in my mundane life.

      For under my tunics, linen "boxers" would be close to what I have in mind for my undershorts. I prefer to have something to keep the sweat from running down my legs in the summer without bunching up in uncomfortable ways.

      As for making them period, I haven't a clue how linen underpants would have been constructed in 13th century Poland

      Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik <Posadnik@...> wrote:

      Greetings
      >> So, while I do have plans to make a pair of linen undershorts for summer wear, I don't think I'll be looking for knit linen anytime soon.

      can I have a humble question: WHY do you need modern-fashioned (as I got from the discussion) underwear made of period material made in no-period technique?
      Can't you simply have linen boxers etc? This will be way more hygienic and comfortable than tricot.

      Bye,
      Alex

      Ilijana Krakowska
      Per pale argent and gules, two cats sejant addorsed counterchanged.

    • Lynda Fjellman
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 24, 2007
        Huh?
        <snip>
        I am just having a hard time envisioning a linen thread that is pliable
        enough to stand up to knitting.
        <snip>

        Linen is quite "pliable" enough to knit, we make lace of it all the
        time. I use it for hand sewing thread and if you get good quality linen
        thread, you can use it in your sewing machine, (it isn't the thickness
        or the stiffness it is the slubs that keep it out of the machine. There
        is no intrinsic reason not to knit it. High quality line linen has
        longer staple than any cotton ever produced, and there is such a thing
        as "cotton tricot" so there is no reason for not producing "linen
        tricot", other than perceived lack of demand.
        Linen is inherently less strectchy than cotton or synthetic fibers, but
        that has nothing to do with keeping underwear, panties or knickers on.
        We use elastic for that regardless of the fiber content of the rest of
        the garment.

        Tricot isn't really a lace knit. It is a plain single knit in its basic
        form. We just think of is as being fine or lacy as that is the way we
        see it most often.
        Of course we could be running into language problems here, Tricot in
        American English is a plain thin knit. Tricot in French, I think,
        *means* knit.
        Ilaria
      • Lynda Fjellman
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 24, 2007
          Probably just like everywhere else!

          Not trying to sound flippant, but there are only a very few ways to make
          britches that fit and everyone seems to have thought of them. If you
          google braes, or trous or some other "period" word for underpants, you
          will find a couple ideas on the subject.
          Ilaria

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 25, 2007
            Greetings
            > Probably just like everywhere else!
            > Not trying to sound flippant, but there are only a very few ways to make
            > britches that fit and everyone seems to have thought of them. If you
            ??????
            Then I am completely off the path. What britches or breeches or pants exactly do you mean?

            > google braes, or trous or some other "period" word for underpants, you
            Ah, brae...
            the group name is sig, ain't it?
            No braes for Rus or even Poland, if I am not mistaken. And the Russian pants, being an undergarment for most time (afair one of the possible origins of the word Shtany is ishton, "underwear" in Turcic languages), are well reflected in, say, Rabinovich - no tricot, no knitting. Just gores.
            > will find a couple ideas on the subject.
            > Ilaria
            >

            > As for making them period, I haven't a clue how linen underpants would
            > have been constructed in 13th century Poland
            The same way as simply "pants". Not wide, with gores. Not a great expert in Poland, but from time to time I come across some facts about the neighbors of the Polish.

            Bye,
            Alex
          • magdalenag56
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 25, 2007
              Greetings all.

              I don't know about men's underwear in Medieval Poland but if anyone
              comes across information on anything on Polish clothing by researching
              Russia (or any of Poland's other neighbors) feel free to send it my
              way either on the list or by private email.

              I concentrate more on women's clothing. There are several experts out
              there who know much moe than I on men's and military clothing. But so
              much is shared not only between countries but between the sexes. What
              you find may just answer a question I have.

              When looking at religious art from the region I've noticed what looks
              like boxers worn in the crucifixion scenes. This is different from
              simply a draped or wrapped cloth. I will try to find an example and
              post it in my photo file.

              Magdalena Gdanska
            • jennifer knox
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 25, 2007
                Hi!
                A while back I posted a photo of some pants excavated on the Black sea, dating to about 900, that were used by women and men as underwear. look just like normal pants only they're linen...is the photo still up?
                Anya

                Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik <Posadnik@...> wrote:

                > As for making them period, I haven't a clue how linen underpants would
                > have been constructed in 13th century Poland
                The same way as simply "pants". Not wide, with gores. Not a great expert in Poland, but from time to time I come across some facts about the neighbors of the Polish.

                Bye,
                Alex

                "We must judge men not so much by what they do, as by what they make us feel that they have it in them to do." --Samuel Butler

              • Lente
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 25, 2007
                  yes it is still up, first album 10th c finds of something something,
                  sorry already closed the link. interesting, this is very like what I did
                  for a trial set of magyar pants. my magyar pants are a bit fuller
                  though, something like 36 inches in each leg. I think I also used a 12
                  inch or so gusset set about 4-6 inches down from the top of my pants. I
                  also added in a separate waistband casing that is 2-3 inches tall to the
                  top of my trial set of pants, mostly because the fabric I was using is a
                  vintage fabric from the 60s and I wasn't certain how much stress wear it
                  would take. I like my turkish pants better so I never did make a second
                  set to try out fully while camping.

                  This looks to me like you could do each leg to half the waist/hip
                  measurement (unless you have a bigger measurement around your thigh) and
                  then possibly use that number plus 4-5 inches ease as the basis for the
                  width of each leg panel. Possibly use your measurement from waist to
                  knee for leg lenth measurement for undergarments. Gusset looks to be
                  about 1/2 to 2/3 of the leg length measurement in the photo.

                  Interesting very interesting...oh well back to sewing lots of new garb
                  for my husband the soon to be knight...and the Baron and Baroness...

                  Kathws