moderator job opening

  • yanajenn
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 21, 2007
      Well, it is time for me to hang up my moderator hat. I've been doing
      this job since 1999, which is about the same length as two
      presidential terms, so I think that's long enough. Besides, I've
      decided that not only do I need a Master's degree in Library and
      Information Sciences, I also need a Certificate in Special Collections
      (but not a PhD, no matter what my boyfriend thinks), and I need to
      take on a second graduate job setting up a library for a campus unit
      (yes, all by myself, whimper), so I'm going to be even more busy than
      before. In fact, I'm pretty much dropping out of the SCA to focus on
      school and career. I might keep going to Pennsic, but who knows? Only
      time will tell...

      Here's the job description and duties:

      **Daily (yes, daily) processing of new memberships and new member
      posting approvals.

      **Stepping in to pour ice water over any flames that appear.

      **Cleaning up links in the database, because we do get trolls,
      although not too many.

      Er, that's the big stuff. There's lots of little things, but the List
      has gotten easier to manage over the years as it (and its members) has
      grown and matured.

      Go ahead and ask questions, throw out ideas, and figure out who you
      want to be the new moderator.

      In Service,

      --Yana
    • Tracy Kremer
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 21, 2007
        Not me, I'm afraid; I too am virtually out of the SCA
        while dealing with school/career changes.

        Eluned

        --- yanajenn <yanajenn@...> wrote:

        > Well, it is time for me to hang up my moderator hat.
        > I've been doing
        > this job since 1999, which is about the same length
        > as two
        > presidential terms, so I think that's long enough.
        > Besides, I've
        > decided that not only do I need a Master's degree in
        > Library and
        > Information Sciences, I also need a Certificate in
        > Special Collections
        > (but not a PhD, no matter what my boyfriend thinks),
        > and I need to
        > take on a second graduate job setting up a library
        > for a campus unit
        > (yes, all by myself, whimper), so I'm going to be
        > even more busy than
        > before. In fact, I'm pretty much dropping out of the
        > SCA to focus on
        > school and career. I might keep going to Pennsic,
        > but who knows? Only
        > time will tell...
        >

        > Here's the job description and duties:
        >

        > **Daily (yes, daily) processing of new memberships
        > and new member
        > posting approvals.
        >
        > **Stepping in to pour ice water over any flames that
        > appear.
        >
        > **Cleaning up links in the database, because we do
        > get trolls,
        > although not too many.
        >
        > Er, that's the big stuff. There's lots of little
        > things, but the List
        > has gotten easier to manage over the years as it
        > (and its members) has
        > grown and matured.
        >
        > Go ahead and ask questions, throw out ideas, and
        > figure out who you
        > want to be the new moderator.
        >
        > In Service,
        >
        > --Yana

        CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

        The fish are biting.
      • yanajenn
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 8, 2007
          Just letting everyone know that I have not gotten any offers to take
          over the moderator job. We need a new moderator *soon* so please
          consider helping out.

          --Yana
        • Paul W Goldschmidt
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 8, 2007
            I would be willing to take on the job.

            -- Paul

            At 04:29 PM 2/8/2007, you wrote:

            >Just letting everyone know that I have not gotten any offers to take
            >over the moderator job. We need a new moderator *soon* so please
            >consider helping out.
            >
            >--Yana
          • yanajenn
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 8, 2007
              SIG members, this is entirely up to you, not me. If anyone else wants
              the job or has any major objections, please let everyoen know here on
              the list in the next week or so.

              --Yana

              -- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:

              > I would be willing to take on the job.
              >
              > -- Paul
              >
              > At 04:29 PM 2/8/2007, you wrote:
              >
              > >Just letting everyone know that I have not gotten any offers to take
              > >over the moderator job. We need a new moderator *soon* so please
              > >consider helping out.
              > >
              > >--Yana

            • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 9, 2007
                On 2/8/07, yanajenn <yanajenn@...> wrote:

                > SIG members, this is entirely up to you, not me. If anyone else wants
                > the job or has any major objections, please let everyoen know here on
                > the list in the next week or so.
                >
                > --Yana
                >
                > -- In sig@yahoogroups.com <sig%40yahoogroups.com>, Paul W Goldschmidt
                > <goldschp@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I would be willing to take on the job.
                > >
                > > -- Paul
                > >
                > > At 04:29 PM 2/8/2007, you wrote:
                > >
                > > >Just letting everyone know that I have not gotten any offers to take
                > > >over the moderator job. We need a new moderator *soon* so please
                > > >consider helping out.
                > > >
                > > >--Yana

                If no one else wants to, I'll second Paul. :)
                --
                Czesc Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                Middle Kingdom, Pentamere, Shire of Talonval

              • Su Ralston
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 9, 2007
                  Yana wrote:
                  > SIG members, this is entirely up to you, not me. If anyone else wants
                  > the job or has any major objections, please let everyoen know here on
                  > the list in the next week or so.

                  Paul replied:
                  > I would be willing to take on the job.

                  Zygmunt also replied (with apologies if Pan is your first name... it
                  looked like a title to me!):

                  > If no one else wants to, I'll second Paul. :)

                  My response:
                  The more hands, the easier the work... I can help also!

                  Su of the Silver Horn
                • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 9, 2007
                    On 2/9/07, Su Ralston <suralston@...> wrote:
                    Zygmunt also replied (with apologies if Pan is your first name... it
                    looked like a title to me!): >>

                    Yes indeed, 'Pan' is Polish for 'Lord'. :)

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 9, 2007
                      Are you offering to moderate or to assist me in being the
                      moderator? (Speaking of which, is Liudmila still assisting the moderator?).

                      My position is that I can do the moderator job and I'll do an OK job
                      at it, but I have always liked the idea that the SIG-L was not run by
                      me (after all, I run SIG itself). Having another person in charge of
                      the listserv helps to provide some variety. Ideally, if I'm going to
                      be the moderator, I'd like to train a deputy and have them transition
                      into the role of running the listserv in the future. So, if someone
                      (like Su?) is willing to help for now, that would be great.

                      Thanks,
                      Paul

                      At 08:36 AM 2/9/2007, you wrote:
                      >My response:
                      >The more hands, the easier the work... I can help also!
                      >
                      >Su of the Silver Horn
                    • Liudmila V
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 9, 2007
                        I am not reliable enough to be a regular moderator, because when I get busy at workaround midterms or finals I forget about my SCA e-mail (this address is only for that). I am listed as one, and can continue serve as an emergency back-up when asked, as I did in the past for Yana.

                        Liudmila

                        In a message dated 02/09/07 07:22:48 Pacific Standard Time, goldschp@... writes:
                        Are you offering to moderate or to assist me in being the
                        moderator? (Speaking of which, is Liudmila still assisting the moderator?).

                      • Jenn
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 3 2:02 PM
                          Okay, I finally got around to updating the group settings to include
                          all our new moderators. Sorry. Busy, busy. Anyway.

                          The new moderators are:
                          Paul
                          Su
                          Zygmunt
                          Alastair
                          and Liudmila is staying on as a moderator.

                          The moderators all have the ability to approve memberships and posts
                          and other sundry moderator duties. You will all receive an email
                          whenever someone wants to join or whenever a new member posts for the
                          first time.

                          The way I've been handling things is to approve membership to anyone
                          that wants it (we only have an approval step to weed out spammers) and
                          to let new members post without being moderated as soon as they show
                          that they get the rules and are a real person (which is usually
                          evident the first time they post).

                          Traffic has been pretty low this month, so it hasn't been a great
                          example of what being a moderator can be like, but honestly, it isn't
                          too bad once you get the hang of it. Email me if you have any questions.

                          In Service,

                          --Yana