Re: [sig] Stoneware or soapstone

  • Tracy Kremer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2007
      Milord, stoneware is actually a kind of ceramic; a
      very, very tough ceramic with lots of silica in it and
      a very high firing temperature, such that regular
      pottery kilns sometimes cannot fire hot enough to make
      stoneware. The silica melts and bonds to make it much
      tougher than the regular clay-based ceramics, more
      like stone than pottery. Or at least, that was what I
      was brought up calling stoneware.

      Eluned

      --- saultk <saultk@...> wrote:

      > Who do you go to for your stoneware or soapstone
      > needs? I am looking
      > into getting new drinkware and tableware for events
      > and am really
      > interested in soapstone or stoneware as opposed to
      > ceramics, wood or
      > pewter- I just can't seem to find anyone who works
      > with it. (our gear
      > takes quite a beating and the stoneware pans we use
      > at home have stood
      > up to several years use- including a rather clutzy
      > cook!) I'm not
      > exactly certain what style it is that I am
      > interested in yet, so custom
      > work may not be the best bet right now, but if
      > anyone knows of someone
      > who has soapstone/stoneware in stock or has pictures
      > that I can peruse
      > it would be very much appreciated!
      >
      > Very much obliged
      >
      > Keterlyn

      CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

      Cheap talk?
      http://voice.yahoo.com