Re: [sig] Polosh Liquer Question

  • Tracy Kremer
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 11, 2007
      Thank you for that clarification. I _should_ have
      said, "mead with the water content of wine", or "mead
      as I have known it previously", but I thought the
      all now know that "miod" means honey - but also mead -
      and that the different _kinds_ of polish mead are
      defined by their water versus honey content - that
      would be before fermentation, since alchohol content
      is not part of the definition of the different kinds,
      although I expect there are expected standards.

      I myself have done some mead fermenting, and had
      wished to find out what they were like overseas. Now I
      have a new "brewing" goal, having found the pinnacle
      of mead creation; salud to the Miods of Poland!

      Oh, and two months for a quick mead? heck, I've done
      it in three weeks! You just have to keep it a bit
      warmer, and not expect much. Oh, and the recipes _do_
      make a difference, not to mention which kind of yeast
      you use.

      Speaking of ancient egypt; did you know that their
      famous beer (one of the reasons for the creation of
      agriculture) was actually more like a chardonet (sp?)
      in taste? And that they drank it with straws, so get
      past the debris floating on the surface? Cool stuff
      on the History Channel!

      Eluned

      --- apacuska@... wrote:

      > Eluned said: I have an almost empty bottle of a
      > Polish (or at least, it came from
      > there) Liquer I picked up while over in Poland. I
      > really love it. I
      > bought it under the misunderstanding that it was
      > mead, but am very
      > glad I did buy it. It is delicious, and somewhat
      > potent as well.
      > The label says "Miod Pitny Dwojniak", then, under a
      > picture of some
      > berries, "Maliniak" (I should say I had thought it
      > was a melomel,
      > which is honey-mead with fruit), and then in smaller
      > letters
      > below, "Owocowy". It comes in a geen-brown pottery
      > bottle with a red
      > wax seal on it (as well as the paper one).
      >
      > If it's an alcohol made of honey you can pretty much
      > call it mead (the exception is honey wine - which is
      > wine with honey added) - so you were right, it was
      > mead, a melomel as you suspected (as you know, if it
      > contains spices it's a metheglin, if fruit a
      > melomel). What made you think it was a
      > "misuderstanding"?
      >
      > Mead is actually pretty easy to make and there are
      > quick meads that you can have ready in about 2
      > months. The better ones take about 6 mos. If you
      > get it on now, you can have a good batch by the
      > summer (in N Hem. winter if S). You should try your
      > hand at it. Making it yourself is always better
      > than buying it (although there are some really
      > excellent commercial, albeit small batch, meads
      > available online, hopefully to your state - or you
      > can have a local liquor store order them). It's not
      > like the recipes change - though limiting your yeast
      > source might solve the "period" issue. water +
      > yeast + honey + time = mead; and it's a recipe that
      > predates ancient Egypt (along with the addition of
      > spices and fruits - which will kick start the yeast
      > as well, so you don't have to add yeast nutrient).
      >
      > Aleksa

      CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

    • Tracy Kremer
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 11, 2007
        MMMMM, sounds nice!!!

        Eluned

        --- Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski <panzygmunt@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > are not pre-sweetened)
        > with half as much water in the large soup pot and
        > stir until mixed well.
        > 2. Heat over medium/high heat until it begins to
        > bubble, then cut back
        > to a simmer. You'll have it right when lots of
        > little bubbles are coming to
        > the surface.
        > 3. Cook the honey/water mixture until it is
        > golden brown. All we're
        > looking to do here is carmelize the honey a bit.
        > It may not look right after
        > a while, so don't cook it more than 40 minutes.
        > Some foam may come to the
        > top - you can scoop it off into another bowl or
        > the sink with the large
        > spoon. I leave some in because I think it tastes
        > better.
        >

        > 1. While this is simmering, open the raspberry
        > bags and make sure
        > there is a lot of juice. If not, smash them in a
        > mixing bowl until they have
        > some juice (say, a nominal 1/2 cup). Put all of
        > the berries and their juice
        > into the gallon container, using a spoon if
        > needed.
        >

        > 1. After the honey is done simmering, take it off
        > the heat, away from
        > ANY open flames, and add the vodka. Stir well.
        > 2. Add the honey/vodka mixture to the berries.
        > Close the lid tight,
        > give it a couple shakes, and let it sit on the
        > counter a couple days so that
        > the berries infuse the krupnik. NOTE - the Poles
        > intended this to be drunk
        > with dinner, so you could make this at breakfast
        > and drink it for dinner. I
        > think it tastes best if you let it sit 2 – 3
        > days.
        >

        > 1. Strain the mixture, first through the
        > strainers and then through
        > the cheesecloth, making sure to get all the
        > berries and seeds out. It may be
        > a little murky from the foam - I think that's ok!
        > Or strain it until clear
        > if you like.
        >

        > 1. After straining, put the *krupnik* back into
        > the empty vodka bottle
        > (I soak the labels off first, whatever you like).
        > You'll have some left
        > over, which is what the other empty bottle is
        > for. After bottling, I let it
        > sit 1-2 days, since I think it tastes better, but
        > you don't have to.
        >

        > Chill and enjoy!
        >
        > --
        > Czesc Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
        > Middle Kingdom, Pentamere, Shire of Talonval
        > Servant of His Grace Sir Dag Thorgrimsson and Master
        > Mordok Rostovskogo
        > SCA Polish Culture Resource:
        > http://www.plcommonwealth.org
        > "Discipline is the bridge between thought and
        > accomplishment." - Jets RB,
        > Curtis Martin

        > removed]
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
        Access over 1 million songs.
        http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited