RE: Re[4]: [sig] Rus' coat closures

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2007
      >>>As for pre-Mongol Novgorod, there WAS a garment (kaftan afair) with frogs dug out there. Not my
      >>>period, so there will be no book/fact references, - I simply had a chat with a guy from a neighboring re-
      > >>creation club, who just made such for a re-creators event, referring to that excavation. The peculiar
      >>>thing, though, that [he said] it was the only one of the kind, thus there's no guarantee they used to wear
      >>>such, and it was not an accidental borrowing.
      >>
      >> In pre-Mongol Novgorod, the garment you refer to is known as a svita. Rabinovich indicates that this likely
      >>developed into what we now know as the kaftan or perhaps the zipun.
      >
      >no-no-no.
      >I meant the particular kaftan with belt-and-hook type fasteners. If you meant something else, then just never mind.

      Belt-and-hook fasteners? Poyas i kryuk? Would that perhaps be what we call hook-and-loop fasteners in America? That would be pretty neat to find them in pre-Mongol Novgorod. Pity that isn't "your period" to tell us more.

      Sofya

      Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
      "Si no necare, sana."