Re[2]: [sig] Rus' coat closures

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2007
      Greetings!

      > > >2. Are frogs OK?
      > >
      > > They're better than zippers. ;) I have not seen the fancy looped
      > > decoration on period items, but the idea of a button/loop closure is
      > > correct.
      >
      > For what it's worth in a discussion about C13 russian, there are fancy frog
      > closures, in a couple of twist / weave patterns, found at Birka. So they are
      > period, just maybe not right period.

      As for pre-Mongol Novgorod, there WAS a garment (kaftan afair) with frogs dug out there. Not my period, so there will be no book/fact references, - I simply had a chat with a guy from a neighboring re-creation club, who just made such for a re-creators event, referring to that excavation. The peculiar thing, though, that [he said] it was the only one of the kind, thus there's no guarantee they used to wear such, and it was not an accidental borrowing.

      hope that helps, though not much.

      Bye,
      Alex