Re: [sig] Stoneware or soapstone

  • bphall76@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2007
      This place does soapstone gear; from stoves and boot warmers to goblets.
      Their prices seem reasonable as well. What's more they'll do custom work and
      they have lots of pictures on the website.

      _Click here: Vermont Soapstone Fireplaces, Ovens, Masonry Heaters, and Wood
      Stoves_ (http://www.vermontwoodstove.com/)

      Vasilisa Myshkina
      Glymm Mere, An Tir

    • Rosie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
        > Who do you go to for your stoneware or soapstone needs? I am looking
        into getting new drinkware and tableware for events and am really
        interested in soapstone or stoneware.

        You could try your local uni if they offer ceramics courses. They may
        be a bit wonkier than professionally done, but that's just character
        isn't it? They should charge you less. My brother just made me a set of
        feast gear out of stoneware. In class when he was supposed to be making
        teapots I believe. He dropped it on the slate floor and it didn't
        break. Not that I want to do the same in case it does.. Also, when I
        get my device passed, he's going to put it onto my crockery and refire
        it. That'll be rather funky.
        Rosie
      • Tracy Kremer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2007
          Milady;
          Soapstone is a really bad idea for feast gear. It is
          much more fragile than ceramics of any kind, being a
          soft, carvable stone. Soapstone is what they grind up
          for talcum powder, to give you an idea. Because it is
          a stone, it will also be thick and heavy for feast
          gear.
          Stoneware, on the other hand, is highly recommended
          for durability, even if it is a bit heavy.

          There are many, many local potters in the NC area; I
          don't know what area you live in, but chances are good
          you may have some in your area you did not know about.
          A good place to go to find out is to a large arts and
          crafts fair; you could contact the ones who hold these
          annually if there are none coming up soon where you
          live, to find some of the craftspeople they will be
          selling booth space to.
          You could probably also find some potters in the
          yellow pages. Some of them would probably be willing
          to do custome jobs, as well.

          Eluned

          --- Rosie <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

          > > Who do you go to for your stoneware or soapstone
          > needs? I am looking
          > into getting new drinkware and tableware for events
          > and am really
          > interested in soapstone or stoneware.
          >
          > You could try your local uni if they offer ceramics
          > courses. They may
          > be a bit wonkier than professionally done, but
          > that's just character
          > isn't it? They should charge you less. My brother
          > just made me a set of
          > feast gear out of stoneware. In class when he was
          > supposed to be making
          > teapots I believe. He dropped it on the slate floor
          > and it didn't
          > break. Not that I want to do the same in case it
          > does.. Also, when I
          > get my device passed, he's going to put it onto my
          > crockery and refire
          > it. That'll be rather funky.
          > Rosie

          CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Tracy Kremer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 11, 2007
            Milord, stoneware is actually a kind of ceramic; a
            very, very tough ceramic with lots of silica in it and
            a very high firing temperature, such that regular
            pottery kilns sometimes cannot fire hot enough to make
            stoneware. The silica melts and bonds to make it much
            tougher than the regular clay-based ceramics, more
            like stone than pottery. Or at least, that was what I
            was brought up calling stoneware.

            Eluned

            --- saultk <saultk@...> wrote:

            > Who do you go to for your stoneware or soapstone
            > needs? I am looking
            > into getting new drinkware and tableware for events
            > and am really
            > interested in soapstone or stoneware as opposed to
            > ceramics, wood or
            > pewter- I just can't seem to find anyone who works
            > with it. (our gear
            > takes quite a beating and the stoneware pans we use
            > at home have stood
            > up to several years use- including a rather clutzy
            > cook!) I'm not
            > exactly certain what style it is that I am
            > interested in yet, so custom
            > work may not be the best bet right now, but if
            > anyone knows of someone
            > who has soapstone/stoneware in stock or has pictures
            > that I can peruse
            > it would be very much appreciated!
            >
            > Very much obliged
            >
            > Keterlyn

            CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

            Cheap talk?
            http://voice.yahoo.com