Re: [sig] Rus' coat closures

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
      Greetings!

      > I'm doing 13thC Rus, and making a coat (svita). A few questions;
      >
      > 1. What kind of buttons would be used at this time?
      > 2. Are frogs OK?
      > 3. The top image
      > here<http://www.strangelove.net/%7Ekieser/Russia/KMC2.html>,
      > shows with the bands of fabric attatched to the buttons/frogs - are they
      > purely decorative, or do they have a purpose? Also, should they be in a
      > contrasting or complementing color?
      Purely decorative (with frogs & buttons), as they are a rudiment of knot buttons. There's a Polish SCA resource, I just fail to remember the url, with re-created Polish 16-17 century Zhupan with knot buttons. It can be re-googled (I found it at random while googling for knot buttons). They are of contrast color, yes. Kinda old Hungarian fashion.

      Hope that helps.

      Bye,
      Alex
    • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
        Witam! I thought I'd chime in here real quick:

        On 1/2/07, Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik <Posadnik@...> wrote:<<here's a
        Polish SCA resource, I just fail to remember the url, with re-created Polish
        16-17 century Zhupan with knot buttons. It can be re-googled (I found it at
        random while googling for knot buttons). >>

        The new, and growing, SCA Polish Costume site, has my Handbook, at
        http://www.plcommonwealth.org . However, I don't have anything there on the
        knots. The wealthier would use guilt buttons made out of precious &
        semi-precious metals. See section two (Male & Female dress) in the files
        section.
        The button directions can be found here
        http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/patterns.htm , which is the Site of Rick
        Orli's "Orlicki's Regiment' Polish re-enactment site.

        I hope this helps!

        Czesc Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
        Middle Kingdom, Pentamere, Shire of Talonval
        "Discipline is the bridge between thought and accomplishment." - Jets RB,
        Curtis Martin