Rus' coat closures

  • Sam W (wOOt / Kotek
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2007
      Hi all,

      I'm doing 13thC Rus, and making a coat (svita). A few questions;

      1. What kind of buttons would be used at this time?
      2. Are frogs OK?
      3. The top image
      here<http://www.strangelove.net/%7Ekieser/Russia/KMC2.html>,
      shows with the bands of fabric attatched to the buttons/frogs - are they
      purely decorative, or do they have a purpose? Also, should they be in a
      contrasting or complementing color?

      Thanks, I hope ^_^

      ~Kotek

    • L.M. Kies
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007

        Wooden toggles have been found by archeologists, also spherical cast shank buttons, and simple ties were also used.

        Kolchin shows fabric covered buttons in Drevnyaya Rus' Byt i Kultura, where the fabric strip seems to be continuous with the fabric covering the button, or you could try these:
        http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_buttons.htm

        >2. Are frogs OK?

        They're better than zippers. ;) I have not seen the fancy looped decoration on period items, but the idea of a button/loop closure is correct.

        >3. The top image
        >here< ," target=_new>http://www.strangelove.net/%7Ekieser/Russia/KMC2.html>,
        >shows with the bands of fabric attatched to the buttons/frogs - are they
        >purely decorative, or do they have a purpose? Also, should they be in a
        >contrasting or complementing color?

        Well, when I made my shuba, I made fabric covered buttons a la Kolchin with the strips covering big wooden beads, so the strips were part of the buttons and anchored them very nicely. (If you're interested in the details, let me know. I don't feel up to explaining it this early in the morning.) I also used the strips on the other side to anchor the loop closure and hide the ugly loose ends. So they have some function.

        K tvoim uslugam.
        At your service.

        Sofya

      • Fiona Anderson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007
          On Wednesday 03 January 2007 01:49, L.M. Kies wrote:

          > >2. Are frogs OK?
          >
          > They're better than zippers. ;) I have not seen the fancy looped
          > decoration on period items, but the idea of a button/loop closure is
          > correct.

          For what it's worth in a discussion about C13 russian, there are fancy frog
          closures, in a couple of twist / weave patterns, found at Birka. So they are
          period, just maybe not right period.

          eleanora.