Re: [sig] Polish Liquer Question

  • Jaek
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 29, 2006
      Thanks for the info on Mead. My wife has made a couple of really good
      meads. I have a question if anyone has a recipe for Krupinski Liquor or
      also sometimes known as Perun's Fire... it's a honey cordial with either
      a vodka or everclear base...? thanx Jaek
    • Ron Jachim
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2007
        Google for krupnik. Here's one of many online recipes.

        http://www.clubwort.org/krupnik.htm

        I've never made it, but the one I tried was very good, it may have had
        plum flavor in it was well as the spices.

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Jaek <plkaldera@...> wrote:
        > I have a question if anyone has a recipe for Krupinski Liquor or
      • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 2, 2007
          Here's mine, from my SCA Polish Culture Handbook:

          *Raspberry Krupnik (Polish)**

          The etymology of this item is weird. Another dish in many of the cookbooks
          is Barley & Mushroom soup, but is also called *Krupnik.* Yet other cookbooks
          list this vodka drink by that same name. So, I don't understand what the
          difference is, yet. Anyway, this is a very tasty treat I have served to
          guests iced, at my camp on hot summer nights.

          *Ingredients*

          5th of vodka, one 24 oz. jar of honey, 2 small bags of frozen fresh
          raspberries (no bigger than 16 oz), One extra empty bottle. Have the berries
          thawed and ready to go.

          *Materials:* a funnel, a small-hole strainer (2 different sized ones works
          best), cheesecloth, a sealable gallon container with a large mouth, a large
          soup pot and a couple large spoons.

          *Directions*

          1. Combine 1.5 cups of honey (2 cups if berries are not pre-sweetened)
          with half as much water in the large soup pot and stir until mixed well.
          2. Heat over medium/high heat until it begins to bubble, then cut back
          to a simmer. You'll have it right when lots of little bubbles are coming to
          the surface.
          3. Cook the honey/water mixture until it is golden brown. All we're
          looking to do here is carmelize the honey a bit. It may not look right after
          a while, so don't cook it more than 40 minutes. Some foam may come to the
          top - you can scoop it off into another bowl or the sink with the large
          spoon. I leave some in because I think it tastes better.

          1. While this is simmering, open the raspberry bags and make sure
          there is a lot of juice. If not, smash them in a mixing bowl until they have
          some juice (say, a nominal 1/2 cup). Put all of the berries and their juice
          into the gallon container, using a spoon if needed.

          1. After the honey is done simmering, take it off the heat, away from
          ANY open flames, and add the vodka. Stir well.
          2. Add the honey/vodka mixture to the berries. Close the lid tight,
          give it a couple shakes, and let it sit on the counter a couple days so that
          the berries infuse the krupnik. NOTE - the Poles intended this to be drunk
          with dinner, so you could make this at breakfast and drink it for dinner. I
          think it tastes best if you let it sit 2 � 3 days.

          1. Strain the mixture, first through the strainers and then through
          the cheesecloth, making sure to get all the berries and seeds out. It may be
          a little murky from the foam - I think that's ok! Or strain it until clear
          if you like.

          1. After straining, put the *krupnik* back into the empty vodka bottle
          (I soak the labels off first, whatever you like). You'll have some left
          over, which is what the other empty bottle is for. After bottling, I let it
          sit 1-2 days, since I think it tastes better, but you don't have to.

          Chill and enjoy!

          --
          Czesc Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
          Middle Kingdom, Pentamere, Shire of Talonval

        • apacuska@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 3, 2007
            Eluned said: I have an almost empty bottle of a Polish (or at least, it came from
            there) Liquer I picked up while over in Poland. I really love it. I
            bought it under the misunderstanding that it was mead, but am very
            glad I did buy it. It is delicious, and somewhat potent as well.
            The label says "Miod Pitny Dwojniak", then, under a picture of some
            berries, "Maliniak" (I should say I had thought it was a melomel,
            which is honey-mead with fruit), and then in smaller letters
            below, "Owocowy". It comes in a geen-brown pottery bottle with a red
            wax seal on it (as well as the paper one).

            If it's an alcohol made of honey you can pretty much call it mead (the exception is honey wine - which is wine with honey added) - so you were right, it was mead, a melomel as you suspected (as you know, if it contains spices it's a metheglin, if fruit a melomel). What made you think it was a "misuderstanding"?

            Mead is actually pretty easy to make and there are quick meads that you can have ready in about 2 months. The better ones take about 6 mos. If you get it on now, you can have a good batch by the summer (in N Hem. winter if S). You should try your hand at it. Making it yourself is always better than buying it (although there are some really excellent commercial, albeit small batch, meads available online, hopefully to your state - or you can have a local liquor store order them). It's not like the recipes change - though limiting your yeast source might solve the "period" issue. water + yeast + honey + time = mead; and it's a recipe that predates ancient Egypt (along with the addition of spices and fruits - which will kick start the yeast as well, so you don't have to add yeast nutrient).

            Aleksa
          • Tracy Kremer
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 11, 2007
              Thank you for that clarification. I _should_ have
              said, "mead with the water content of wine", or "mead
              as I have known it previously", but I thought the
              all now know that "miod" means honey - but also mead -
              and that the different _kinds_ of polish mead are
              defined by their water versus honey content - that
              would be before fermentation, since alchohol content
              is not part of the definition of the different kinds,
              although I expect there are expected standards.

              I myself have done some mead fermenting, and had
              wished to find out what they were like overseas. Now I
              have a new "brewing" goal, having found the pinnacle
              of mead creation; salud to the Miods of Poland!

              Oh, and two months for a quick mead? heck, I've done
              it in three weeks! You just have to keep it a bit
              warmer, and not expect much. Oh, and the recipes _do_
              make a difference, not to mention which kind of yeast
              you use.

              Speaking of ancient egypt; did you know that their
              famous beer (one of the reasons for the creation of
              agriculture) was actually more like a chardonet (sp?)
              in taste? And that they drank it with straws, so get
              past the debris floating on the surface? Cool stuff
              on the History Channel!

              Eluned

              --- apacuska@... wrote:

              > Eluned said: I have an almost empty bottle of a
              > Polish (or at least, it came from
              > there) Liquer I picked up while over in Poland. I
              > really love it. I
              > bought it under the misunderstanding that it was
              > mead, but am very
              > glad I did buy it. It is delicious, and somewhat
              > potent as well.
              > The label says "Miod Pitny Dwojniak", then, under a
              > picture of some
              > berries, "Maliniak" (I should say I had thought it
              > was a melomel,
              > which is honey-mead with fruit), and then in smaller
              > letters
              > below, "Owocowy". It comes in a geen-brown pottery
              > bottle with a red
              > wax seal on it (as well as the paper one).
              >
              > If it's an alcohol made of honey you can pretty much
              > call it mead (the exception is honey wine - which is
              > wine with honey added) - so you were right, it was
              > mead, a melomel as you suspected (as you know, if it
              > contains spices it's a metheglin, if fruit a
              > melomel). What made you think it was a
              > "misuderstanding"?
              >
              > Mead is actually pretty easy to make and there are
              > quick meads that you can have ready in about 2
              > months. The better ones take about 6 mos. If you
              > get it on now, you can have a good batch by the
              > summer (in N Hem. winter if S). You should try your
              > hand at it. Making it yourself is always better
              > than buying it (although there are some really
              > excellent commercial, albeit small batch, meads
              > available online, hopefully to your state - or you
              > can have a local liquor store order them). It's not
              > like the recipes change - though limiting your yeast
              > source might solve the "period" issue. water +
              > yeast + honey + time = mead; and it's a recipe that
              > predates ancient Egypt (along with the addition of
              > spices and fruits - which will kick start the yeast
              > as well, so you don't have to add yeast nutrient).
              >
              > Aleksa

              CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

            • Tracy Kremer
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 11, 2007
                MMMMM, sounds nice!!!

                Eluned

                --- Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski <panzygmunt@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                > You'll have some left
                > over, which is what the other empty bottle is
                > for. After bottling, I let it
                > sit 1-2 days, since I think it tastes better, but
                > you don't have to.
                >

                > Chill and enjoy!
                >
                > --
                > Czesc Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                > Middle Kingdom, Pentamere, Shire of Talonval
                > Servant of His Grace Sir Dag Thorgrimsson and Master
                > Mordok Rostovskogo
                > SCA Polish Culture Resource:
                > http://www.plcommonwealth.org
                > "Discipline is the bridge between thought and
                > accomplishment." - Jets RB,
                > Curtis Martin

                > removed]
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                Access over 1 million songs.
                http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited