Alexander Nevsky

  • Rosie
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 30, 2006
      Hi Chaps,
      Does anyone know if there is a biography of Alexander Nevsky in
      English, and if so, where I could find it? He's my partner's hero :) I
      don't know much about him myself, but anyone who can kick Teutonic
      Knight butt is a good bloke as far as I'm concerned.
      Cheers,
      Rosie
    • aldo
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 31, 2006
        It's a real pity that u can't read any Italian as I publsihed this year a biography with dialogs of this famous prince. Anyhow I have still a couple of copies home and if u want one just let me have any address where I could send it over to. Ciao

        Aldo
        Milan, Italy

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 31, 2006
          The Lithuanian's defeated the Teutonic Knights at the battle of Tannenberg in
          1410, killed the Order's Grand Master Ulrich von Jungingen. The Liths were
          lead by their Grand Duke Vytautas.

          The Liths later controled all the land between the Balic Sea to the Black
          Sea. Their downfall was to get mixed up the Polish.

          -K2

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 31, 2006
            Actually the Knights were not defeated. Jogaila was hesitating to continue the battle standing just in front of Marienburg as he had understood that no war was perfmited among Christians and therefore he was not sure he had the right to conquer the Castle. Vytautas abandoned the field after a while also as the (White-)Russians who were tha majority of the army soldiers of his wanted to go back home. And finally also Jogaila returned to Cracow.

            Aldo

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 1, 2007
              M'Lady Rosie, You might enjoy a highly romanticized version of the
              battle done on film by Sergei Eisenstein called Alexander Nevsky. As
              to his bio, I'm not sure, but I remember he only spent a brief time at
              home, spending most of his life traveling to and fro between the Mongols
              and his capital. Sergius

              > << Hi Chaps,
              > Does anyone know if there is a biography of Alexander Nevsky in
              > English, and if so, where I could find it? He's my partner's hero :) I
              > don't know much about him myself, but anyone who can kick Teutonic
              > Knight butt is a good bloke as far as I'm concerned.
              > Cheers,
              > Rosie >>
              >

              > Messages in this topic
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sig/message/11759;_ylc=X3oDMTM1cDBsNW9tBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjgwNARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyODMEbXNnSWQDMTE3NjIEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMTY3NTcyMTQzBHRwY0lkAzExNzU5>
              > (4) Reply (via web post)
              > | Start a new topic
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sig/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJkM3Y2aTQ5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjgwNARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMTY3NTcyMTQz>
              >
              > Messages
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sig/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJkcGVpOW01BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjgwNARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbXNncwRzdGltZQMxMTY3NTcyMTQz>
              > | Files
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sig/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaHM2cWVkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjgwNARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZmlsZXMEc3RpbWUDMTE2NzU3MjE0Mw-->
              > | Photos
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sig/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJkNTBkZWM4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjgwNARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcGhvdARzdGltZQMxMTY3NTcyMTQz>
              > | Links
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sig/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJlMW0zMzczBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjgwNARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbGlua3MEc3RpbWUDMTE2NzU3MjE0Mw-->
              > | Database
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sig/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJibXBzdDdsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjgwNARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZGIEc3RpbWUDMTE2NzU3MjE0Mw-->
              > | Polls
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sig/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJldW90cDJtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjgwNARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcG9sbHMEc3RpbWUDMTE2NzU3MjE0Mw-->
              > | Calendar
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sig/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJjcmU0MDJlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjgwNARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDY2FsBHN0aW1lAzExNjc1NzIxNDM->
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJjbGloaGhwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjgwNARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZ2ZwBHN0aW1lAzExNjc1NzIxNDM->
              >
              > Change settings via the Web
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sig/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJlMmwwaHV0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjgwNARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDc3RuZ3MEc3RpbWUDMTE2NzU3MjE0Mw-->
              > (Yahoo! ID required)
              > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest
> [...]

            • Rosie
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 1, 2007
                >It's a real pity that u can't read any Italian as I publsihed this
                year a biography with dialogs of this famous prince. Anyhow I have
                still a couple of copies home and if u want one just let me have any
                address where I could send it over to. Ciao

                No, I don't read Italian! This is what comes of living in
                institutionalised monolingual Australia... Actually I am bilingual, but
                Australian sign language isn't going to help in this situation :( If
                you ever feel like translating it into English (you know, in your spare
                time ;) ) do let me know!
                Thanks anyway,
                Rosie
              • aldo
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2007
                  I think as u are living on the other side of the earth that it should be the other way round i.e. you may have a chance to fly or drive to Canberra where my good friend has a Barber's and he still speaks Italian very well. His name is Cataldo. You may ask him for reading aloud every one evening in a week my book for you...

                  Aldo
                  >It's a real pity that u can't read any Italian as I publsihed this
                  year a biography with dialogs of this famous prince. Anyhow I have
                  still a couple of copies home and if u want one just let me have any
                  address where I could send it over to. Ciao

                  No, I don't read Italian! This is what comes of living in
                  institutionalised monolingual Australia... Actually I am bilingual, but
                  Australian sign language isn't going to help in this situation :( If
                  you ever feel like translating it into English (you know, in your spare
                  time ;) ) do let me know!
                  Thanks anyway,
                  Rosie

                • Rick Orli
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2007
                    That's right, the Lithuanians did not defeat the Knights, the Poles
                    did. So PHURUUUH! (rasberry sound) :)
                    -Rick

                  • grunasulisz.asp@neostrada.pl
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 2, 2007
                      I waited for someone to said THAT!
                      Thanks = Wielkie Dzieki Rick !!!! :))))

                      Magdalena

                      That's right, the Lithuanians did not defeat the Knights, the Poles
                      did. So PHURUUUH! (rasberry sound) :)
                      -Rick
                      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "aldo" <turanomar@...> wrote:

                      Recent Activity
                      a.. 2New Members
                      Visit Your Group
                      a.. Medieval tapestry
                      b.. Medieval costume
                      c.. Medieval and renaissance costume
                      Yahoo! News
                      Space News

                      Get the latest

                      space related news

                      Yahoo! Avatars
                      Express Yourself

                      Show your style &

                      mood in Messenger.

                      Yahoo! TV
                      Read Ivanka's Blog

                      Stay updated on

                      The Apprentice.
                      .

                    • aldo
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 2, 2007
                        Of course the Poles did! However it was not by that occasion of the Tannenberg Grunwald Battle of 1410 but some years later!
                        Aldo

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 3, 2007
                          > Of course the Poles did! However it was not by that occasion of the
                          Tannenberg Grunwald Battle of 1410 but some years later!

                          And my grandmother (very patriotically English) always said the Poles
                          couldn't win a war. (My grandfather was Polish.) Not long ago I found
                          out King Canute's mum was a Pole. Don't I wish she was still around so
                          I could blow raspberries at her for that!
                          :)
                          Rosie
                        • Tracy Kremer
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 11, 2007
                            Australia - way cool!!!

                            Well, living in NC, I might as well be in Australia,
                            for the monoligualism!
                            _IF_ I could find the money/time to drive up to, say,
                            Chicago (three days of driving, approx), with it's
                            large polish population, or even farther to NY city
                            with it's large italian population, or even Buffalo,
                            which has real italian bakeries run by italian
                            families _for_ italians, that would be one thing, but
                            in NC they consider it a city if it has a 1x1.5 square
                            miles of "downtown" (or "uptown") with tall
                            buildings...!!!
                            I lived in a town that had only _one_ tall building,
                            and the sign said "City" of Salisbury!!!

                            ah, well, I guess they are trying to think
                            positive...!

                            Eluned

                            --- Rosie <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

                            > >It's a real pity that u can't read any Italian as I
                            > publsihed this
                            > year a biography with dialogs of this famous prince.
                            > Anyhow I have
                            > still a couple of copies home and if u want one just
                            > let me have any
                            > address where I could send it over to. Ciao
                            >
                            > No, I don't read Italian! This is what comes of
                            > living in
                            > institutionalised monolingual Australia... Actually
                            > I am bilingual, but
                            > Australian sign language isn't going to help in this
                            > situation :( If
                            > you ever feel like translating it into English (you
                            > know, in your spare
                            > time ;) ) do let me know!
                            > Thanks anyway,
                            > Rosie

                            CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                            Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                            Access over 1 million songs.
                            http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited