Polosh Liquer Question

  • Tracy Kremer
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 29, 2006
      I have an almost empty bottle of a Polish (or at least, it came from
      there) Liquer I picked up while over in Poland. I really love it. I
      bought it under the misunderstanding that it was mead, but am very
      glad I did buy it. It is delicious, and somewhat potent as well.
      The label says "Miod Pitny Dwojniak", then, under a picture of some
      berries, "Maliniak" (I should say I had thought it was a melomel,
      which is honey-mead with fruit), and then in smaller letters
      below, "Owocowy". It comes in a geen-brown pottery bottle with a red
      wax seal on it (as well as the paper one).
      Oh, and in even smaller letters, "wyproduckowany z naturalnego miodu
      pszczelego i swoezego soku ,malinowego bez srodkow konserwujacych,
      aromatyzujacysh i stablilizatorow". Some of that, I can kind of work
      out, but this part is the least important bit.

      If anyone wants to volunteer translations, information about this
      liquer, and how I might possibly get more (esp the latter), I would
      welcome it.
      For those who might have the chance to purchase some, if you like
      sweet liquers with pleasant, subtle tastes hidden within, I recommend
      it.

      Thanks,
      Eluned
    • grunasulisz.asp@neostrada.pl
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 29, 2006
        Hello,
        This is my quick translation:
        "Miod Pitny Dwojniak" = Mead made of one part of honey and two of water
        "Maliniak" = with raspberries taste

        "Owocowy"= made of fruits
        "wyproduckowany z naturalnego miodu
        pszczelego i swoezego soku ,malinowego bez srodkow konserwujacych,
        aromatyzujacysh i stablilizatorow" = made of natural bee honey and fresh raspberry juice, no preservatives, no artificial flavour and stabilizers added.

        Much better, and more expensive, is "Miod Poltorak" - made of 1 part of honey and 1,5 of water.

        Greetings from Poland,

        Magdalena z Wroclawia

      • Tracy Kremer
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 29, 2006
          Thank you, Magdalena! (Both for the translation and
          for the recommendation!)
          So, does anyone export Miod?
          (I think I'll do a little online searching...)

          Eluned
          --- grunasulisz.asp@... wrote:

          > Hello,
          > This is my quick translation:
          > "Miod Pitny Dwojniak" = Mead made of one part of
          > honey and two of water
          > "Maliniak" = with raspberries taste
          >
          > "Owocowy"= made of fruits
          > "wyproduckowany z naturalnego miodu
          > pszczelego i swoezego soku ,malinowego bez srodkow
          > konserwujacych,
          > aromatyzujacysh i stablilizatorow" = made of natural
          > bee honey and fresh raspberry juice, no
          > preservatives, no artificial flavour and stabilizers
          > added.
          >
          > Much better, and more expensive, is "Miod Poltorak"
          > - made of 1 part of honey and 1,5 of water.
          >

          > Greetings from Poland,
          >
          > Magdalena z Wroclawia

          > removed]

          CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 29, 2006
            On 12/29/06, Tracy Kremer <eluned_p@...> wrote:

            > Thank you, Magdalena! (Both for the translation and
            > for the recommendation!)
            > So, does anyone export Miod?
            > (I think I'll do a little online searching...)
            >
            > Eluned
            > --- grunasulisz.asp@... <grunasulisz.asp%40neostrada.pl> wrote:
            >
            > > Hello,
            > > This is my quick translation:
            > > "Miod Pitny Dwojniak" = Mead made of one part of
            > > honey and two of water
            > > "Maliniak" = with raspberries taste
            > >
            > > "Owocowy"= made of fruits
            > > "wyproduckowany z naturalnego miodu
            > > pszczelego i swoezego soku ,malinowego bez srodkow
            > > konserwujacych,
            > > aromatyzujacysh i stablilizatorow" = made of natural
            > > bee honey and fresh raspberry juice, no
            > > preservatives, no artificial flavour and stabilizers
            > > added.
            > >
            > > Much better, and more expensive, is "Miod Poltorak"
            > > - made of 1 part of honey and 1,5 of water.
            > >

            > > Greetings from Poland,
            > >
            > > Magdalena z Wroclawia

            > > removed]
            > >

            > CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and
            > semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!
            >
            > COMING SOON; ElunedsEmporium.com !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            I hope they do - now I'm thirsty!
            --
            Czesc Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
            Middle Kingdom, Pentamere, Shire of Talonval

          • Tracy Kremer
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 29, 2006
              Milord from the Middle Kingdom wrote:

              > I hope they do - now I'm thirsty!
              > --
              > Czesc Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski

              Well, having done a bit of searching, now that I know
              what words to use, I've found this;

              http://www.stawskidistributing.com/polishwines.html

              er... hope that works as a URL. You may have to try
              copying and pasting without the "/polishwines.html" in
              your address box. This page will _really_ have you
              salivating!

              My searching took a LOT of google pages, because the
              work Miod is apparently also a Polish first and last
              name, and the acronym MIOD apparently refers to
              something tech and internet-related. Plus after page
              18 most of the hits were in Polish. Even before that,
              many of them were, which made the search go faster!
              I found a cool translation site - called "LOGOS
              Multilingual E-Tranlation Portal" - and found that
              "Miod" actually means "Honey" ; it looks to me as if
              it's the second word, such as Pitny, that denotes not
              only that it is mead, which in Poland is a liquer, but
              how strong it is.

              Boy, it's _nice_ to have a little time to look things
              up! (I'm on break from classes, only have to worry
              about work for a couple of weeks).

              Eluned

              --- Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski <panzygmunt@...>

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 29, 2006
                miod = honey
                miod pitny = mead [pitny=drinkable]

                M. z Wroclawia

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 29, 2006
                  I like theirs products:

                  http://www.apis.pl/?pl-miodypitne

                  english version:
                  http://www.apis.pl/?en

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 29, 2006
                    AH! LOL!

                    That makes a lot of sense! THANK YOU, Milady! It is a
                    pleasure to be illuminated on this by you.
                    So, what does Poltorak translate as? And, do they
                    call it Miod Pitny Poltorak, or just Miod Poltorak?

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 29, 2006
                      I'm sorry but according to this professional site: http://www.tim-wina.com.pl/artykuly.php?idg=1,
                      I made a mistake, so let me correct myself:
                      poltorak = mead made of 1 part of honey and 1/2 part of water; it has 15-17% of alkohol, and needs 10-15 years of rest on oak barrel
                      dwojniak = mead made of 1 part of honey and 1 part of water; 15-17%
                      trojniak= mead made of 1 part of honey and 2 parts of water; 12-14%
                      czworniak =mead made of 1 part of honey and 3 parts of water; 10-12 %

                      And, do they
                      call it Miod Pitny Poltorak, or just Miod Poltorak?

                      Both names are correct. :)
                      greetings from Poland :)

                      Here you have some more information but... it is in Polish :(
                      PÓLTORAK

                      Nazwa "Póltorak" okresla proporcje miodu i wody potrzebne do sporzadzenia tego napoju - na jedna czesc miodu dodaje sie pól czesci wody. Póltorak, aby osiagnac odpowiedni bukiet smakowy i zapachowy, oraz odpowiednia moc (15-17% zawartosci alkoholu) lezakuje przez 10-15 lat w wielkich kadziach lub debowych beczkach.

                      DWÓJNIAK

                      Dwójniak to trunek sporzadzony w proporcji: dwie czesci miodu i dwie czesci wody. Dójniaki dojrzewaja przez okres okolo 10 lat. Zawartosc alkoholu jest podobna jak w póltoraku: 15-17%. Wzbogacony wyciagami ziolowo-korzennymi i cukrem palonym osiaga piekny kolor ciemnego bursztynu oraz doskonaly, gleboki smak i aromat.

                      TRÓJNIAK

                      Trójniak laczy w sobie jedna czesc miodu i dwie czesci wody. Taka proporcja powoduje, ze juz po kilku latach lezakowania osiaga odpowiedni kolor i bukiet smakowy, oraz 12-14% zawartosci alkoholu. Poprzez zmniejszona w stosunku do dwójniaka i póltoraka zawartosc miodu trunek ten jest lzejszy i ma spokojny, wysublimowany smak.

                      CZWÓRNIAK

                      Czwórniak - to trzy czesci wody i jedna czesc miodu. Aby dobrze dojrzec wystarczy, ze lezakuje okolo roku. Dlatego tez jest to najlzejszy z miodów o 10-12% zawartosci alkoholu. Swietnie smakuje w temperaturze pokojowej lub lekko schlodzony.

                    • Jaek
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 29, 2006
                        Thanks for the info on Mead. My wife has made a couple of really good
                        meads. I have a question if anyone has a recipe for Krupinski Liquor or
                        also sometimes known as Perun's Fire... it's a honey cordial with either
                        a vodka or everclear base...? thanx Jaek
                      • Tracy Kremer
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 29, 2006
                          Thank you!

                          I'll have to check out that site and try translating
                          those paragraphs when I'm not at work (hotel night
                          audit; 11pm to 7am at a hotel, printing out reports
                          and manning the front desk where guests may want to
                          check in at any hour).

                          Eluned

                        • S. Butler
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 30, 2006
                            Wow ... whimper ...

                            http://www.meadfest.com/

                            - Leszek
                          • Lente
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 30, 2006
                              Hello,

                              A search for Polish grocery stores online might have it. I know in some
                              of my google searches for Hungarian info I often will find Hungarian
                              stores online, off the top of my head there are two that I keep tripping
                              across, one is in California and one is on the East Coast. so there
                              might be polish stores also out there.

                              Kathws

                              Tracy Kremer wrote:
                              > Thank you, Magdalena! (Both for the translation and
                              > for the recommendation!)
                              > So, does anyone export Miod?
                              > (I think I'll do a little online searching...)
                              >
                              > Eluned
                            • Tracy Kremer
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 30, 2006
                                Hmmmm - I KNOW there are unlikely to be any in the
                                boonies of NC, but I'm making a trip to Niagara Falls
                                next week...!
                                Thanks, Kathws; I'll get right on it!

                                Eluned

                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 30, 2006
                                  OO-OOOH!!!

                                  Eluned

                                  --- "S. Butler" <Butler309@...> wrote:

                                  > Wow ... whimper ...
                                  >
                                  > http://www.meadfest.com/
                                  >
                                  > - Leszek

                                  CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Ron Jachim
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 1, 2007
                                    Google for krupnik. Here's one of many online recipes.

                                    http://www.clubwort.org/krupnik.htm

                                    I've never made it, but the one I tried was very good, it may have had
                                    plum flavor in it was well as the spices.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 2, 2007
                                      Here's mine, from my SCA Polish Culture Handbook:

                                      *Raspberry Krupnik (Polish)**

                                      The etymology of this item is weird. Another dish in many of the cookbooks
                                      is Barley & Mushroom soup, but is also called *Krupnik.* Yet other cookbooks
                                      list this vodka drink by that same name. So, I don't understand what the
                                      difference is, yet. Anyway, this is a very tasty treat I have served to
                                      guests iced, at my camp on hot summer nights.

                                      *Ingredients*

                                      5th of vodka, one 24 oz. jar of honey, 2 small bags of frozen fresh
                                      raspberries (no bigger than 16 oz), One extra empty bottle. Have the berries
                                      thawed and ready to go.

                                      *Materials:* a funnel, a small-hole strainer (2 different sized ones works
                                      best), cheesecloth, a sealable gallon container with a large mouth, a large
                                      soup pot and a couple large spoons.

                                      *Directions*

                                      1. Combine 1.5 cups of honey (2 cups if berries are not pre-sweetened)
                                      with half as much water in the large soup pot and stir until mixed well.
                                      2. Heat over medium/high heat until it begins to bubble, then cut back
                                      to a simmer. You'll have it right when lots of little bubbles are coming to
                                      the surface.
                                      3. Cook the honey/water mixture until it is golden brown. All we're
                                      looking to do here is carmelize the honey a bit. It may not look right after
                                      a while, so don't cook it more than 40 minutes. Some foam may come to the
                                      top - you can scoop it off into another bowl or the sink with the large
                                      spoon. I leave some in because I think it tastes better.

                                      1. While this is simmering, open the raspberry bags and make sure
                                      there is a lot of juice. If not, smash them in a mixing bowl until they have
                                      some juice (say, a nominal 1/2 cup). Put all of the berries and their juice
                                      into the gallon container, using a spoon if needed.

                                      1. After the honey is done simmering, take it off the heat, away from
                                      ANY open flames, and add the vodka. Stir well.
                                      2. Add the honey/vodka mixture to the berries. Close the lid tight,
                                      give it a couple shakes, and let it sit on the counter a couple days so that
                                      the berries infuse the krupnik. NOTE - the Poles intended this to be drunk
                                      with dinner, so you could make this at breakfast and drink it for dinner. I
                                      think it tastes best if you let it sit 2 � 3 days.

                                      1. Strain the mixture, first through the strainers and then through
                                      the cheesecloth, making sure to get all the berries and seeds out. It may be
                                      a little murky from the foam - I think that's ok! Or strain it until clear
                                      if you like.

                                      1. After straining, put the *krupnik* back into the empty vodka bottle
                                      (I soak the labels off first, whatever you like). You'll have some left
                                      over, which is what the other empty bottle is for. After bottling, I let it
                                      sit 1-2 days, since I think it tastes better, but you don't have to.

                                      Chill and enjoy!

                                      --

                                    • apacuska@comcast.net
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 3, 2007
                                        Eluned said: I have an almost empty bottle of a Polish (or at least, it came from
                                        there) Liquer I picked up while over in Poland. I really love it. I
                                        bought it under the misunderstanding that it was mead, but am very
                                        glad I did buy it. It is delicious, and somewhat potent as well.
                                        The label says "Miod Pitny Dwojniak", then, under a picture of some
                                        berries, "Maliniak" (I should say I had thought it was a melomel,
                                        which is honey-mead with fruit), and then in smaller letters
                                        below, "Owocowy". It comes in a geen-brown pottery bottle with a red
                                        wax seal on it (as well as the paper one).

                                        If it's an alcohol made of honey you can pretty much call it mead (the exception is honey wine - which is wine with honey added) - so you were right, it was mead, a melomel as you suspected (as you know, if it contains spices it's a metheglin, if fruit a melomel). What made you think it was a "misuderstanding"?

                                        Mead is actually pretty easy to make and there are quick meads that you can have ready in about 2 months. The better ones take about 6 mos. If you get it on now, you can have a good batch by the summer (in N Hem. winter if S). You should try your hand at it. Making it yourself is always better than buying it (although there are some really excellent commercial, albeit small batch, meads available online, hopefully to your state - or you can have a local liquor store order them). It's not like the recipes change - though limiting your yeast source might solve the "period" issue. water + yeast + honey + time = mead; and it's a recipe that predates ancient Egypt (along with the addition of spices and fruits - which will kick start the yeast as well, so you don't have to add yeast nutrient).

                                        Aleksa
                                      • Tracy Kremer
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 11, 2007
                                          Thank you for that clarification. I _should_ have
                                          said, "mead with the water content of wine", or "mead
                                          as I have known it previously", but I thought the
                                          all now know that "miod" means honey - but also mead -
                                          and that the different _kinds_ of polish mead are
                                          defined by their water versus honey content - that
                                          would be before fermentation, since alchohol content
                                          is not part of the definition of the different kinds,
                                          although I expect there are expected standards.

                                          I myself have done some mead fermenting, and had
                                          wished to find out what they were like overseas. Now I
                                          have a new "brewing" goal, having found the pinnacle
                                          of mead creation; salud to the Miods of Poland!

                                          Oh, and two months for a quick mead? heck, I've done
                                          it in three weeks! You just have to keep it a bit
                                          warmer, and not expect much. Oh, and the recipes _do_
                                          make a difference, not to mention which kind of yeast
                                          you use.

                                          Speaking of ancient egypt; did you know that their
                                          famous beer (one of the reasons for the creation of
                                          agriculture) was actually more like a chardonet (sp?)
                                          in taste? And that they drank it with straws, so get
                                          past the debris floating on the surface? Cool stuff
                                          on the History Channel!

                                          Eluned

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jan 11, 2007
                                            MMMMM, sounds nice!!!

                                            wrote:

> [...]
                                            > You'll have some left
                                            > over, which is what the other empty bottle is
                                            > for. After bottling, I let it
                                            > sit 1-2 days, since I think it tastes better, but
                                            > you don't have to.
                                            >

                                            > Chill and enjoy!
                                            >
                                            > --
                                            > Czesc Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                                            > Middle Kingdom, Pentamere, Shire of Talonval
                                            > Servant of His Grace Sir Dag Thorgrimsson and Master
                                            > Mordok Rostovskogo
                                            > SCA Polish Culture Resource:
                                            > http://www.plcommonwealth.org
                                            > "Discipline is the bridge between thought and
                                            > accomplishment." - Jets RB,
                                            > Curtis Martin

                                            > removed]
                                            >

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                                            Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                                            Access over 1 million songs.
                                            http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited