Hemming a Shuba

  • Master Nikulai Ivanovich, OP
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 15, 2006
      From left field...

      When hemming a shuba, should the hem be even all the way across so when
      work it hangs unevenly, or should it be hemmed evenly when worn?

      Thanks!
      - N

      --
      Master Nikulai Ivanovich, OP
      Or, on a bend cotised sable, three fox masks or palewise.
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 15, 2006

        You might want to take a good hard look at the price and the active ingredients of this Sport Shield. I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be just anti-perspirant under a different name, and I wouldn't want anyone to pay more for it than it's worth.

        Sofya

      • Janin Wise
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 15, 2006
          So roll-on anti-perspirant would work to stop inner thigh chafing? Because if it's true, and cheaper, it's still a great tip (:

          --Cigan

          > I just want to share that I found a product at a sports-shoe store called Sport Shield made to prevent chafing. It rolls on like a deodorant, and really does work on the inner thighs, when we get back to that steamy weather and those long linen tunics.

          You might want to take a good hard look at the price and the active ingredients of this Sport Shield. I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be just anti-perspirant under a different name, and I wouldn't want anyone to pay more for it than it's worth.

          Sofya

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;
          }
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;
          }
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          padding-top:10px;
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          margin:0;
          }
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;
          }
          #ygrp-actbar{
          clear:both;
          margin:25px 0;
          white-space:nowrap;
          color:#666;
          text-align:right;
          }
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;
          white-space:nowrap;
          }
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          padding:15px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-ft{
          font-family:verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          border-top:1px solid #666;
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;
          }

          #ygrp-vital{
          background-color:#e0ecee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
          }
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          font-size:77%;
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#333;
          text-transform:uppercase;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;
          margin:2px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          list-style-type:none;
          clear:both;
          border:1px solid #e0ecee;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#ff7900;
          float:right;
          width:2em;
          text-align:right;
          padding-right:.5em;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;
          }
          #ygrp-vital a {
          text-decoration:none;
          }

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;
          }

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;
          font-size:77%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          padding:6px 13px;
          background-color:#e0ecee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;
          margin:0;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          list-style-type:square;
          padding:6px 0;
          font-size:77%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;
          font-size:130%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
          background-color:#eee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          padding:0 8px;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          font-family:Arial;
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#628c2a;
          font-size:100%;
          line-height:122%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;
          }
          o {font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal {
          margin:0 0 0 0;
          }
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;
          }
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq {margin:4;}
          -->

        • L.M. Kies
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 15, 2006
            Master Nikulai, poklon ot Sofya.

            I would say it should be hemmed so it hangs evenly when worn - see below.

            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PeriodImages/soloveckoevos30.jpg
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/clothingart.html

            K tvoim uslugam,

            Sofya

          • magdalenag56
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 16, 2006
              I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be just anti-perspirant
              under a different name, and I wouldn't want anyone to pay more for it
              than it's worth.

              > Sofya

              I've heard about people using their anti-perspirant for chafing at
              Pennsic. So do check that out.

              Just my dwa zlota
              Magdalena Gdanska
            • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 16, 2006
                I guess I'm old fashioned or something but I either wear bloomers (not that
                I have documentation for Rus women wearing them) while at pennsic or I wear
                biker shorts to help with that. Powders or creams tend to make me break out
                worse...though there was an herbalist at Pennsic that was selling chaffing
                powder to help with that, though I don't know the ingredients.

                Posadnitsa Ianuk

              • aleannain@insightbb.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 16, 2006
                  I use simple baby powder and it seems to help me...whether I be fighting or in garb...it helps with me not chafing.

                  Anushka

                  > I guess I'm old fashioned or something but I either wear
                  > bloomers (not that
                  > I have documentation for Rus women wearing them) while at
                  > pennsic or I wear
                  > biker shorts to help with that. Powders or creams tend to
                  > make me break out
                  > worse...though there was an herbalist at Pennsic that was
                  > selling chaffing
                  > powder to help with that, though I don't know the ingredients.
                  >
                  > Posadnitsa Ianuk
                  >

                  > On 12/16/06, magdalenag56 <magdalenag56@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be just
                  > anti-perspirant
                  > > under a different name, and I wouldn't want anyone to pay more
                  > for it
                  > > than it's worth.
                  > > >
                  > > > Sofya
                  > >
                  > > I've heard about people using their anti-perspirant for
                  > chafing at
                  > > Pennsic. So do check that out.
                  > >
                  > > Just my dwa zlota
                  > > Magdalena Gdanska

                • Ilijana Krakowska
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 17, 2006
                    According to the label, the ingredients are "Dimethicone, Aloe Vera Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E)"
                    I think the dimethicone (which I seem to recall is an ingredient in the OTC anti-gas/stomach acid products) is probably the anti-friction agent with the Vitamin E and the Aloe Vera in there to help reduce the irritation.

                    As far as anti-perspriants go, I have used them to prevent the sweat from rolling down my thighs, but the brand I use didn't do anthing to prevent chafing as far as I could tell.

                    "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

> [...]

                    [snip] I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be just anti-perspirant under a different name, and I wouldn't want anyone to pay more for it than it's worth.

                    Sofya

                    Ilijana Krakowska
                    Per pale argent and gules, two cats sejant addorsed counterchanged.
                  • L.M. Kies
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 17, 2006

                      I'm sure it depends on the kind of anti-perspirant - mine would work quite nice for chafing - but then it's "inactive ingredients" include talc, dimethicone, and hydrogenated castor oil, among others. (Aluminum zirconium trichlorohydrex etc. is the active "anti-perspirant" ingredient.) I've used some roll-ons in the past that went on sticky and seemed to stay sticky - bad for chaffing.

                      Since most anti-perspirants are not sealed in the store, put a little on your fingers and see how "slippery" it feels, or look for the "slippery" ingredients.

                      Oh, and anti-gas products contain simethicone, not dimethicone. Hmm... dimethicone is an alternative treatment for head lice. Interesting. I guess it helps comb out the nits. ;)

                      Sofya

                    • Rick Orli
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 20, 2006
                        One of the 17th C. tailors who speaks to us through his writing -
                        don't remember who right off- said that the worst sort of fault in a
                        garmet that a tailor could commit is if the hem in the front is
                        longer than the hem in the back. -Rick

                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 22, 2006
                          Thanks!

                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 22, 2006
                            Thanks!

                            On Fri, December 15, 2006 9:26 pm, L.M. Kies wrote:
                            > Master Nikulai, poklon ot Sofya.

                          • Marina Anastasia Ozeroski
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 22, 2006
                              Can anyone direct me to a suitable supplier for period (or
                              period-looking foorwear) for a late period Ukrainian?

                              Thanks
                              Marina
                            • Stephanie Ross
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 26, 2006
                                You could try Vika at Ebay - item #190065182643. I bet if you emailed her
                                she might be able to make them according to your specifications if what
                                she's selling isn't exactly what you're looking for. She has all her wares
                                made in Ukraine (which is where she is from and her mom still lives there
                                and looks for stuff for her to sell here). She is also rather knowledgeable
                                about peasant costume and is very nice to talk with.

                                Nadya
                                Et si omnes, ego non.