Re: Hemp, was Re: linen vs. cotton was[sig] polish garb

  • Tracy Kremer
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 6, 2006
      That was fascinating! Thank you, milady.

      Eluned
      --- Kataryna Dragonweaver
      <kataryna_dragonweaver@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > traffic
      > to Italy, the Balkans and the East and the traveler
      > of
      > the time could find a relatively well-developed
      > guild
      > life within its walls. In 1522 the tithe register of
      > the Diocese of Bacs lists 291 independent tradesmen,
      > two of them being ropemakers. After gradually
      > expelling the Turks from the country the fight for
      > freedom against the Habsburgs prevented the economy
      > from developing and this situation improved only in
      > the middle of the 18th century. The prosperity of
      > the
      > economy was greatly helped by settled German
      > craftsmanship and the guilds of the city flourished.
      > The development of shipping on the river Tisza
      > (especially transporting wheat and other
      > agricultural
      > products) stimulated the shipbuilding industry,
      > heavy
      > canvas and rope manufacture. The rope manufacturers
      > of
      > Szeged received their first charter of incorporation
      > from Maria Theresa on 20 May 1743.
      > The processing of hemp and manufacturing was done in
      > small guilds that could be found especially in the
      > southern cities of the country. At this time
      > `factory
      > size' hemp processing did not exist and only in the
      > last two decades of the 18th century do we find
      > three
      > `factory sized rope-walks'. All three were situated
      > on
      > the coast at Fume, in present Croatia.
      > The raw material for the numerous little guilds was
      > mainly supplied from abroad as the limited
      > production
      > of hemp from the small farms was not sufficient to
      > satisfy the `hungry' industry's requirements. The
      > local authorities in the country became aware of
      > this
      > situation and took important steps to develop hemp
      > processing; in other words, it became essential that
      > hemp processing develop into a manufacturing
      > industry.
      > A survey was made in order to establish which areas
      > were most suitable for the cultivation of hemp and
      > flax and 20 tonnes of high fibre yield seed was
      > brought from Italy. Peasants from Bologna, who had
      > several decades of experience in the growing and
      > processing of hemp, were settled in the southern
      > part
      > of the country. In 1865 Count Rezso Chotek founded
      > the
      > first hemp factory in Hungary in Futak-Ojvidik
      > (today
      > Novi-Sad, in present Yugoslavia). This plant
      > included
      > scotching and other primary processing of the hemp.
      > Following the establishment of this factory others
      > (spinning, weaving, ropewalks, etc.) sprang up like
      > mushrooms."
      >
      > This chapter goes on for 4 more paragraphs but
      > concerns the modernized factory processes.

      CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

    • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 6, 2006
        On 12/6/06, Tracy Kremer <eluned_p@...> wrote:

        > Some personal names I am considering for my new
        > persona, but which I need to research further; I'm
        > posting them for any input you might care to give me.
        >
        > Czeslawa - feminization of Czeslaw (the "l" being that
        > other letter entirely in Polish, the crooked t).
        > Polish in origin. I like the sound, but "honor and
        > glory" is an unlikely choice for a girl-child.
        >
        > Malina - "raspberry" in polish
        >
        > Nadzieja - Polish form of Nadezhda, a Russian name
        > meaning hope. I like this one, but it may not be
        > within period.
        >
        > Walentyna - feminization of the Polish name Walenty,
        > meaning healthy, strong. Something they might have
        > given to a healthy female child. Easy to say, but not
        > common (where I am) in the SCA. This may be a good
        > choice for me.
        >
        > I'm also considering "Sopianka".
        >
        > Thanks for your time and attention,
        > Eluned
        >
        > CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and
        > semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!
        >
        > COMING SOON; ElunedsEmporium.com !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

        > Any questions? Get answers on any topic at www.Answers.yahoo.com. Try it
        > now.

        Good luck Eluned!

        Which are you leaning towards now?

        --
        Czesc Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
        Middle Kingdom, Pentamere, Shire of Talonval

      • Tracy Kremer
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 6, 2006
          > Good luck Eluned!
          >
          > Which are you leaning towards now?
          >
          > --
          > Czesc Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski

          Walentyna, maybe; Malina and Nadzieja also appeal. I
          hate to narrow my choices before I know if I can have
          any one of these. I also need to check on the
          pronunciatioins.

          --- Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski <panzygmunt@...>

          http://new.mail.yahoo.com
        • Tracy Kremer
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 6, 2006
            Personally, I prefer blackberries. You get fruit, and
            the damage are scratches that you can bandage; nettles
            _sting_, leaving an itchy rash, and sometimes they
            catch you by surprise. If you meet a stray branch of
            bramble, you can just stop moving, and usually back it
            off of you, and neosporin stops the discomfort.

            Eluned

            --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

            > >From various references, one suspects that nettle
            > may have been
            > >primarily gathered from the wild rather than
            > cultivated.
            >
            > Laughing. Yes, from my experience, nettles do not
            > need to be
            > cultivated. They do just fine on their own. I have
            > several clumps of
            > them if anyone wants some.
            > Ilaria
            > At least they aren't as bad as the blackberries.

            CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

            Cheap talk?
            http://voice.yahoo.com
          • Lynda Fjellman
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 7, 2006
              Not around here. Stray branches come in howling packs and I get
              infections from the scratches. Apparently many folks do. The fruit is
              good though. Backing away just leaves bigger scratches and sometimes
              the thorns behind.
              Do you have "Himalaya" blackberries? If not, you just do *not* know
              what you are missing in the way of nuisance blackberries.

              You can eat nettles, they make a good cooked green. (just the newer
              tops, cook like spinach) You do have to wear gloves to pick them
              though.
              Ilaria

              Personally, I prefer blackberries. You get fruit, and
              the damage are scratches that you can bandage; nettles
              _sting_, leaving an itchy rash, and sometimes they
              catch you by surprise. If you meet a stray branch of
              bramble, you can just stop moving, and usually back it
              off of you, and neosporin stops the discomfort.

              Eluned

              --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

              > >From various references, one suspects that nettle
              > may have been
              > >primarily gathered from the wild rather than
              > cultivated.
              >
              > Laughing. Yes, from my experience, nettles do not
              > need to be
              > cultivated. They do just fine on their own. I have
              > several clumps of
              > them if anyone wants some.
              > Ilaria
              > At least they aren't as bad as the blackberries.

              CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and
              lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice
              prices, honest!

            • Ilijana Krakowska
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 14, 2006
                Yes, I know it is not that time of year, but there was a lengthy discussion about hot weather wear a year or two ago, and people just mught suffer from chafing if they do any dancing at anytime of year. I just want to share that I found a product at a sports-shoe store called Sport Shield made to prevent chafing. It rolls on like a deodorant, and really does work on the inner thighs, when we get back to that steamy weather and those long linen tunics.

                I do not sell this product. I do not have any interest in this product other than sharing its efficacy.

                Ilijana Krakowska
                Per pale argent and gules, two cats sejant addorsed counterchanged.

              • milica_od_tuzla
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 15, 2006
                  I appreciate this very much. I live in the Kingdom of Trimaris were
                  it is hot 99% of the time. I'm going to try this out. Thank you very
                  much.

                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Ilijana Krakowska <ilijanakrakowska@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Yes, I know it is not that time of year, but there was a lengthy
                  discussion about hot weather wear a year or two ago, and people just
                  mught suffer from chafing if they do any dancing at anytime of year.
                  I just want to share that I found a product at a sports-shoe store
                  called Sport Shield made to prevent chafing. It rolls on like a
                  deodorant, and really does work on the inner thighs, when we get back
                  to that steamy weather and those long linen tunics.

                  > I do not sell this product. I do not have any interest in this
                  product other than sharing its efficacy.

                  > Ilijana Krakowska
                  > Per pale argent and gules, two cats sejant addorsed counterchanged.

                • Master Nikulai Ivanovich, OP
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 15, 2006
                    From left field...

                    When hemming a shuba, should the hem be even all the way across so when
                    work it hangs unevenly, or should it be hemmed evenly when worn?

                    Thanks!
                    - N

                    --
                    Master Nikulai Ivanovich, OP
                    Or, on a bend cotised sable, three fox masks or palewise.
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 15, 2006

                      You might want to take a good hard look at the price and the active ingredients of this Sport Shield. I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be just anti-perspirant under a different name, and I wouldn't want anyone to pay more for it than it's worth.

                      Sofya

                    • Janin Wise
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 15, 2006
                        So roll-on anti-perspirant would work to stop inner thigh chafing? Because if it's true, and cheaper, it's still a great tip (:

                        --Cigan

                        > I just want to share that I found a product at a sports-shoe store called Sport Shield made to prevent chafing. It rolls on like a deodorant, and really does work on the inner thighs, when we get back to that steamy weather and those long linen tunics.

                        You might want to take a good hard look at the price and the active ingredients of this Sport Shield. I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be just anti-perspirant under a different name, and I wouldn't want anyone to pay more for it than it's worth.

                        Sofya

                        <!--

                        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                        #ygrp-text{
                        font-family:Georgia;
                        }
                        #ygrp-text p{
                        margin:0 0 1em 0;
                        }
                        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                        font-family:Arial;
                        clear:both;
                        }
                        #ygrp-vitnav{
                        padding-top:10px;
                        font-family:Verdana;
                        font-size:77%;
                        margin:0;
                        }
                        #ygrp-vitnav a{
                        padding:0 1px;
                        }
                        #ygrp-actbar{
                        clear:both;
                        margin:25px 0;
                        white-space:nowrap;
                        color:#666;
                        text-align:right;
                        }
                        #ygrp-actbar .left{
                        float:left;
                        white-space:nowrap;
                        }
                        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                        #ygrp-grft{
                        font-family:Verdana;
                        font-size:77%;
                        padding:15px 0;
                        }
                        #ygrp-ft{
                        font-family:verdana;
                        font-size:77%;
                        border-top:1px solid #666;
                        padding:5px 0;
                        }
                        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                        padding-bottom:10px;
                        }

                        #ygrp-vital{
                        background-color:#e0ecee;
                        margin-bottom:20px;
                        padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                        }
                        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                        font-size:77%;
                        font-family:Verdana;
                        font-weight:bold;
                        color:#333;
                        text-transform:uppercase;
                        }
                        #ygrp-vital ul{
                        padding:0;
                        margin:2px 0;
                        }
                        #ygrp-vital ul li{
                        list-style-type:none;
                        clear:both;
                        border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                        }
                        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                        font-weight:bold;
                        color:#ff7900;
                        float:right;
                        width:2em;
                        text-align:right;
                        padding-right:.5em;
                        }
                        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                        font-weight:bold;
                        }
                        #ygrp-vital a {
                        text-decoration:none;
                        }

                        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                        text-decoration:underline;
                        }

                        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                        color:#999;
                        font-size:77%;
                        }
                        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                        padding:6px 13px;
                        background-color:#e0ecee;
                        margin-bottom:20px;
                        }
                        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                        padding:0 0 0 8px;
                        margin:0;
                        }
                        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                        list-style-type:square;
                        padding:6px 0;
                        font-size:77%;
                        }
                        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                        text-decoration:none;
                        font-size:130%;
                        }
                        #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                        background-color:#eee;
                        margin-bottom:20px;
                        padding:0 8px;
                        }
                        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                        padding:8px 0;
                        }
                        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                        font-family:Arial;
                        font-weight:bold;
                        color:#628c2a;
                        font-size:100%;
                        line-height:122%;
                        }
                        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                        text-decoration:none;
                        }
                        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                        text-decoration:underline;
                        }
                        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                        margin:0;
                        }
                        o {font-size:0;}
                        .MsoNormal {
                        margin:0 0 0 0;
                        }
                        #ygrp-text tt{
                        font-size:120%;
                        }
                        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                        .replbq {margin:4;}
                        -->

                      • L.M. Kies
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 15, 2006
                          Master Nikulai, poklon ot Sofya.

                          I would say it should be hemmed so it hangs evenly when worn - see below.

                          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PeriodImages/soloveckoevos30.jpg
                          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/clothingart.html

                          K tvoim uslugam,

                          Sofya

                        • magdalenag56
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 16, 2006
                            I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be just anti-perspirant
                            under a different name, and I wouldn't want anyone to pay more for it
                            than it's worth.

                            > Sofya

                            I've heard about people using their anti-perspirant for chafing at
                            Pennsic. So do check that out.

                            Just my dwa zlota
                            Magdalena Gdanska
                          • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 16, 2006
                              I guess I'm old fashioned or something but I either wear bloomers (not that
                              I have documentation for Rus women wearing them) while at pennsic or I wear
                              biker shorts to help with that. Powders or creams tend to make me break out
                              worse...though there was an herbalist at Pennsic that was selling chaffing
                              powder to help with that, though I don't know the ingredients.

                              Posadnitsa Ianuk

                            • aleannain@insightbb.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 16, 2006
                                I use simple baby powder and it seems to help me...whether I be fighting or in garb...it helps with me not chafing.

                                Anushka

                                > I guess I'm old fashioned or something but I either wear
                                > bloomers (not that
                                > I have documentation for Rus women wearing them) while at
                                > pennsic or I wear
                                > biker shorts to help with that. Powders or creams tend to
                                > make me break out
                                > worse...though there was an herbalist at Pennsic that was
                                > selling chaffing
                                > powder to help with that, though I don't know the ingredients.
                                >
                                > Posadnitsa Ianuk
                                >

                                > On 12/16/06, magdalenag56 <magdalenag56@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be just
                                > anti-perspirant
                                > > under a different name, and I wouldn't want anyone to pay more
                                > for it
                                > > than it's worth.
                                > > >
                                > > > Sofya
                                > >
                                > > I've heard about people using their anti-perspirant for
                                > chafing at
                                > > Pennsic. So do check that out.
                                > >
                                > > Just my dwa zlota
                                > > Magdalena Gdanska

                              • Ilijana Krakowska
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 17, 2006
                                  According to the label, the ingredients are "Dimethicone, Aloe Vera Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E)"
                                  I think the dimethicone (which I seem to recall is an ingredient in the OTC anti-gas/stomach acid products) is probably the anti-friction agent with the Vitamin E and the Aloe Vera in there to help reduce the irritation.

                                  As far as anti-perspriants go, I have used them to prevent the sweat from rolling down my thighs, but the brand I use didn't do anthing to prevent chafing as far as I could tell.

                                  "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                  [snip] I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be just anti-perspirant under a different name, and I wouldn't want anyone to pay more for it than it's worth.

                                  Sofya

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 17, 2006

                                    I'm sure it depends on the kind of anti-perspirant - mine would work quite nice for chafing - but then it's "inactive ingredients" include talc, dimethicone, and hydrogenated castor oil, among others. (Aluminum zirconium trichlorohydrex etc. is the active "anti-perspirant" ingredient.) I've used some roll-ons in the past that went on sticky and seemed to stay sticky - bad for chaffing.

                                    Since most anti-perspirants are not sealed in the store, put a little on your fingers and see how "slippery" it feels, or look for the "slippery" ingredients.

                                    Oh, and anti-gas products contain simethicone, not dimethicone. Hmm... dimethicone is an alternative treatment for head lice. Interesting. I guess it helps comb out the nits. ;)

                                    Sofya

                                  • Rick Orli
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 20, 2006
                                      One of the 17th C. tailors who speaks to us through his writing -
                                      don't remember who right off- said that the worst sort of fault in a
                                      garmet that a tailor could commit is if the hem in the front is
                                      longer than the hem in the back. -Rick

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 22, 2006
                                        Thanks!

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 22, 2006
                                          Thanks!

                                          On Fri, December 15, 2006 9:26 pm, L.M. Kies wrote:
                                          > Master Nikulai, poklon ot Sofya.

                                        • Marina Anastasia Ozeroski
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 22, 2006
                                            Can anyone direct me to a suitable supplier for period (or
                                            period-looking foorwear) for a late period Ukrainian?

                                            Thanks
                                            Marina
                                          • Stephanie Ross
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 26, 2006
                                              You could try Vika at Ebay - item #190065182643. I bet if you emailed her
                                              she might be able to make them according to your specifications if what
                                              she's selling isn't exactly what you're looking for. She has all her wares
                                              made in Ukraine (which is where she is from and her mom still lives there
                                              and looks for stuff for her to sell here). She is also rather knowledgeable
                                              about peasant costume and is very nice to talk with.

                                              Nadya
                                              Et si omnes, ego non.