RE: Re: [sig] Motifs

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
      >I understand that they liked the primary colors,
      especially red...

      The Rus did indeed like reds of various sorts. That's why in old Russian, the word for "beautiful" is the same as the word for "red." They also liked black, and all sorts of blues, yellows, greens, etc. and used lots of bleached and unbleached linen, browns, grays, etc. So I worry that saying that "they liked the primary colors" gives the wrong impression.

      This may be more than you want to know, but here it is:
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWCfabric.html

      Sofya

    • Tracy Kremer
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
        I guess it depends on whether you think of "primary
        colors" as being only one shade each of red, blue, and
        yellow, which I never have (although technically they
        are, and I tend to forget that)...I suspect the grays
        and browns were practicality, except in furs which
        have their own beauty. That only leaves us to add in
        greens.

        Eluned
        --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

        > >I understand that they liked the primary colors,
        > especially red...
        > >

        > The Rus did indeed like reds of various sorts.
        > That's why in old Russian, the word for "beautiful"
        > is the same as the word for "red." They also liked
        > black, and all sorts of blues, yellows, greens, etc.
        > and used lots of bleached and unbleached linen,
        > browns, grays, etc. So I worry that saying that
        > "they liked the primary colors" gives the wrong
        > impression.
        >
        > This may be more than you want to know, but here it
        > is:

        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWCfabric.html

        > Sofya

        > removed]

        CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

        Cheap talk?
        http://voice.yahoo.com
      • Rosie
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 6, 2006
          Thanks for the help everyone! I've decided to adapt the figure on the
          left of the second pic on this site:
          http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/NovgorodMetalp.html
          I'm not entirely sure what it is, but it looks fearsome!
          Anyone know of any goddesses or saints of embroidery I should appeal
          to? Oh, if I get sidetracked researching that, I'll never get this
          prezzie done will I? Maybe my next project should be a Sewing Witch.
          My Kitchen Witch and I get along well so maybe a Sewing Witch. There
          should be no need for rivalry there. Anyway I digress....
          Thanks again :)
          Rosie
        • Tracy Kremer
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 6, 2006
            Whoa! Watch it, folks, there's 50 or so items on this
            html, and it uses a CHUNK of memory! I had to cut off
            the download....
            Sorry, friend; would've loved to look at this, but I
            have apparently not enough memory. I'm going to have
            to go look and see if I used up some memory I didn't
            know about....

            Eluned

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 6, 2006
              >I've decided to adapt the figure on the
              left of the second pic on this site:
              http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/NovgorodMetalp.html
              I'm not entirely sure what it is, but it looks fearsome!

              If I'm seeing the right picture, you'll be making a dragon!

              Anyone know of any goddesses or saints of embroidery I should appeal
              to?

              Take your pick:
              http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/pst00252.htm

              Sofya

            • Rosie
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 6, 2006
                > Whoa! Watch it, folks, there's 50 or so items on this
                > html, and it uses a CHUNK of memory! I had to cut off
                > the download....
                > Sorry, friend; would've loved to look at this, but I
                > have apparently not enough memory. I'm going to have
                > to go look and see if I used up some memory I didn't
                > know about....
                > > http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/NovgorodMetalp.html

                Someone from the list (sorry forget who) gave me the link. I had to
                reload the page about 10 times to get all of the pics up. It takes so
                long it times out before it loads everything. However, each pic that
                loads up goes into your cache file so it will load faster the next
                time you hit the "reload" button, so you'll have time to load up
                another few before it times out again. A large investment of time,
                certainly, but there's some great pics. Put it aside as a site to
                explore while suffering from insomnia :)
                Rosie
              • JoAnna Buxton
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
                  I do mean the double sided iron on stuff. I didn't know it had other names in other places. Learn something new every day. :)
                  The book I'm referring to is available from Amazon, so you should be able to order it, if you want it.

                  Aleksandra

                  Fiona Anderson <eleanora@...> wrote:
                  On Tuesday 05 December 2006 19:48, JoAnna Buxton wrote:
                  > For readily available motifs for a "Rus-ish" persona - look to the
                  > Norse/viking. Dover has a lovely small book of period viking designs. For
                  > a quick gift, I'd applique using wonder-under and finish with simple
                  > embroidery.

                  As far as I know Wonder-under is not available in AU. If Aleksandra means the
                  double sided iron on sticky stuff, what you will need to ask for is vlisofix,
                  which Spotlight and Lincraft both stock. It's fairly expensive but you don't
                  need much. I probably have some scraps I could post up to you (along with the
                  apron dress instructions( no I haven't forgotten, just been stupidly busy or
                  crashed out)).

                  eleanora.

                • Rosie
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
                    > If I'm seeing the right picture, you'll be making a dragon!

                    From what I can gather from a quick Wikipedia search, Norse dragons
                    were more like Wyverns. Not that it matters to me, they're both scary!
                    Now I'm trying to figure out what colour it ought to be. Red seems a
                    popular choice so I'll go with that.
                    Rosie