Motifs

  • Rosie
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
      Hello all,
      I'm looking to embroider a pouch for my lord for Christmas. He hasn't
      made any concrete decision about persona, but seems to be going in for
      the Rus more than anyone else as far as I can tell. Can anyone give me
      some clues as to what an appropriate motif to embroider would be? I've
      only got basic embroidery skills, but I'm pretty sure that's all they
      had too, so it probably won't be a problem. Don't ask for a time
      period, he's not committing to more than "Rus-ish" so a "Rus-ish"
      motif will be sufficient.
      Hope you can help, coz it's not long 'til Christmas!
      Rosie/ Nawojka
    • JoAnna Buxton
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
        For readily available motifs for a "Rus-ish" persona - look to the Norse/viking. Dover has a lovely small book of period viking designs. For a quick gift, I'd applique using wonder-under and finish with simple embroidery.

        Aleksandra
        11th cent Novgorod

        Rosie <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:
        Hello all,
        I'm looking to embroider a pouch for my lord for Christmas. He hasn't
        made any concrete decision about persona, but seems to be going in for
        the Rus more than anyone else as far as I can tell. Can anyone give me
        some clues as to what an appropriate motif to embroider would be? I've
        only got basic embroidery skills, but I'm pretty sure that's all they
        had too, so it probably won't be a problem. Don't ask for a time
        period, he's not committing to more than "Rus-ish" so a "Rus-ish"
        motif will be sufficient.
        Hope you can help, coz it's not long 'til Christmas!
        Rosie/ Nawojka

      • Sam W (wOOt / Kotek
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
          Or, you could always do a red pouch with a gold cross or simmilar, it'd be
          very Rus' and also fir in with just about anything else :3

          ~Kotek
          13th Cent Torzhok

          On 12/5/06, JoAnna Buxton <lavrovna@...> wrote:

          > For readily available motifs for a "Rus-ish" persona - look to the
          > Norse/viking. Dover has a lovely small book of period viking designs. For a
          > quick gift, I'd applique using wonder-under and finish with simple
          > embroidery.
          >
          > Aleksandra
          > 11th cent Novgorod
          >
          > Rosie <Rosie_0801@... <Rosie_0801%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
          > Hello all,
          > I'm looking to embroider a pouch for my lord for Christmas. He hasn't
          > made any concrete decision about persona, but seems to be going in for
          > the Rus more than anyone else as far as I can tell. Can anyone give me
          > some clues as to what an appropriate motif to embroider would be? I've
          > only got basic embroidery skills, but I'm pretty sure that's all they
          > had too, so it probably won't be a problem. Don't ask for a time
          > period, he's not committing to more than "Rus-ish" so a "Rus-ish"
          > motif will be sufficient.
          > Hope you can help, coz it's not long 'til Christmas!
          > Rosie/ Nawojka

        • Fiona Anderson
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
            On Tuesday 05 December 2006 19:48, JoAnna Buxton wrote:
            > For readily available motifs for a "Rus-ish" persona - look to the
            > Norse/viking. Dover has a lovely small book of period viking designs. For
            > a quick gift, I'd applique using wonder-under and finish with simple
            > embroidery.

            As far as I know Wonder-under is not available in AU. If Aleksandra means the
            double sided iron on sticky stuff, what you will need to ask for is vlisofix,
            which Spotlight and Lincraft both stock. It's fairly expensive but you don't
            need much. I probably have some scraps I could post up to you (along with the
            apron dress instructions( no I haven't forgotten, just been stupidly busy or
            crashed out)).

            eleanora.
          • L.M. Kies
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
              Poklon ot Sofya!

              >>I'm looking to embroider a pouch for my lord for Christmas. He hasn't
              made any concrete decision about persona, but seems to be going in for
              the Rus more than anyone else as far as I can tell. Can anyone give me
              some clues as to what an appropriate motif to embroider would be?

              >For readily available motifs for a "Rus-ish" persona - look to the Norse/viking. Dover has a lovely small book of period viking designs. For a quick gift, I'd applique using wonder-under and finish with simple embroidery.

              Even better is the Dover book "Medieval Russian Ornament in Full Color From Illuminated Manuscripts". :)

              Also try here, it's all Russian, but you can figure out the dates even without knowing Russian. It's almost all medieval:
              http://character.webzone.ru/

              Also a very yummy site with real artifacts - the pouches are in the leather section, but you can find possible motifs in the other sections too:
              http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/novgorodpublic.html

              I have found couching to be a very nice, simple technique.

              K tvoim uslugam,

              Sofya

              Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
              http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
              "Si no necare, sana."
            • Tracy Kremer
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
                I understand that they liked the primary colors,
                especially red...

                --- "Sam W (wOOt / Kotek" <wootduosmaster@...>
                wrote:

                > Or, you could always do a red pouch with a gold
                > cross or simmilar, it'd be
                > very Rus' and also fir in with just about anything
                > else :3
                >
                > ~Kotek
                > 13th Cent Torzhok
                >
                > On 12/5/06, JoAnna Buxton <lavrovna@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > For readily available motifs for a "Rus-ish"
                > persona - look to the
                > > Norse/viking. Dover has a lovely small book of
                > period viking designs. For a
                > > quick gift, I'd applique using wonder-under and
                > finish with simple
                > > embroidery.
                > >
                > > Aleksandra
                > > 11th cent Novgorod
                > >
                > > Rosie <Rosie_0801@...
                > <Rosie_0801%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                > > Hello all,
                > > I'm looking to embroider a pouch for my lord for
                > Christmas. He hasn't
                > > made any concrete decision about persona, but
                > seems to be going in for
                > > the Rus more than anyone else as far as I can
                > tell. Can anyone give me
                > > some clues as to what an appropriate motif to
                > embroider would be? I've
                > > only got basic embroidery skills, but I'm pretty
                > sure that's all they
                > > had too, so it probably won't be a problem. Don't
                > ask for a time
                > > period, he's not committing to more than "Rus-ish"
                > so a "Rus-ish"
                > > motif will be sufficient.
                > > Hope you can help, coz it's not long 'til
                > Christmas!
                > > Rosie/ Nawojka

                > removed]

                > removed]

                CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                Cheap talk?
                http://voice.yahoo.com
              • L.M. Kies
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
                  >I understand that they liked the primary colors,
                  especially red...

                  The Rus did indeed like reds of various sorts. That's why in old Russian, the word for "beautiful" is the same as the word for "red." They also liked black, and all sorts of blues, yellows, greens, etc. and used lots of bleached and unbleached linen, browns, grays, etc. So I worry that saying that "they liked the primary colors" gives the wrong impression.

                  This may be more than you want to know, but here it is:
                  http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWCfabric.html

                  Sofya

                • Tracy Kremer
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
                    I guess it depends on whether you think of "primary
                    colors" as being only one shade each of red, blue, and
                    yellow, which I never have (although technically they
                    are, and I tend to forget that)...I suspect the grays
                    and browns were practicality, except in furs which
                    have their own beauty. That only leaves us to add in
                    greens.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 6, 2006
                      Thanks for the help everyone! I've decided to adapt the figure on the
                      left of the second pic on this site:
                      http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/NovgorodMetalp.html
                      I'm not entirely sure what it is, but it looks fearsome!
                      Anyone know of any goddesses or saints of embroidery I should appeal
                      to? Oh, if I get sidetracked researching that, I'll never get this
                      prezzie done will I? Maybe my next project should be a Sewing Witch.
                      My Kitchen Witch and I get along well so maybe a Sewing Witch. There
                      should be no need for rivalry there. Anyway I digress....
                      Thanks again :)
                      Rosie
                    • Tracy Kremer
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 6, 2006
                        Whoa! Watch it, folks, there's 50 or so items on this
                        html, and it uses a CHUNK of memory! I had to cut off
                        the download....
                        Sorry, friend; would've loved to look at this, but I
                        have apparently not enough memory. I'm going to have
                        to go look and see if I used up some memory I didn't
                        know about....

                        Eluned

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 6, 2006
                          >I've decided to adapt the figure on the
                          left of the second pic on this site:
                          http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/NovgorodMetalp.html
                          I'm not entirely sure what it is, but it looks fearsome!

                          If I'm seeing the right picture, you'll be making a dragon!

                          Anyone know of any goddesses or saints of embroidery I should appeal
                          to?

                          Take your pick:
                          http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/pst00252.htm

                          Sofya

                        • Rosie
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 6, 2006
                            > Whoa! Watch it, folks, there's 50 or so items on this
                            > html, and it uses a CHUNK of memory! I had to cut off
                            > the download....
                            > Sorry, friend; would've loved to look at this, but I
                            > have apparently not enough memory. I'm going to have
                            > to go look and see if I used up some memory I didn't
                            > know about....
                            > > http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/NovgorodMetalp.html

                            Someone from the list (sorry forget who) gave me the link. I had to
                            reload the page about 10 times to get all of the pics up. It takes so
                            long it times out before it loads everything. However, each pic that
                            loads up goes into your cache file so it will load faster the next
                            time you hit the "reload" button, so you'll have time to load up
                            another few before it times out again. A large investment of time,
                            certainly, but there's some great pics. Put it aside as a site to
                            explore while suffering from insomnia :)
                            Rosie
                          • JoAnna Buxton
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
                              I do mean the double sided iron on stuff. I didn't know it had other names in other places. Learn something new every day. :)
                              The book I'm referring to is available from Amazon, so you should be able to order it, if you want it.

                              Aleksandra

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
                                > If I'm seeing the right picture, you'll be making a dragon!

                                From what I can gather from a quick Wikipedia search, Norse dragons
                                were more like Wyverns. Not that it matters to me, they're both scary!
                                Now I'm trying to figure out what colour it ought to be. Red seems a
                                popular choice so I'll go with that.
                                Rosie