RE: Hemp, was Re: linen vs. cotton was[sig] polish garb

  • Lynda Fjellman
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 4, 2006
      >From various references, one suspects that nettle may have been
      >primarily gathered from the wild rather than cultivated.

      Laughing. Yes, from my experience, nettles do not need to be
      cultivated. They do just fine on their own. I have several clumps of
      them if anyone wants some.
      Ilaria
      At least they aren't as bad as the blackberries.
    • Kataryna Dragonweaver
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 4, 2006
        Hi,
        From genetic studies hemp originated in China as an oil-seed crop...
        the fibre crop is bred in Europe, and the high THC (drug) variety is
        bred in Southern Asia. See "Advances in Hemp Research By Paolo
        Ranalli" pages 7 to 12. By th 1500's there is s difference between the
        fibre, oil, and drug varieties. My personal opinion (based on nothing
        other then lots of reading and gut feeling) is that the fibre races
        that were grown in colder climates needed to produce less insecticidal
        proteins (which is one of the reasons hemp produces THC in the first
        place) - so over time the plants may loose the ability to produce high
        amounts of THC. Also, when choosing plants with good fibre content
        plants that grow straight and not branched are perfered, therefore
        (because the buds are at the tops of the branches) significantly less
        buds are produced.
        Between these two factors, in a few generations of plants you may
        inadvertantly get less THC production just by choosing those plants
        that gave good fibre. We know that humans have been involved in
        actively selecting "the best plant" for their crops since before
        recorded history... so this could be a reason accounts fall silent
        about pot smoking in Europe rather quickly.
        Also, IIRC, drug production is indirectly linked to the heat and
        moisture that the hemp is grown in... hotter and moister = more THC in
        fibre varieties. So, that could be another reason the nothern climate
        didn't stimulate high amounts of psychoactive compounds.

        I've also stumbled across a mention of a hungarian tax of hemp on
        villages/farms (see excerpt below). I suspect this would be used for
        fabric (sail cloth, tent cloth, and occasionally clothing).
        -Kataryna
        An overview of Hemp production in Hungary, please keep
        in mind this is a sciences book about modern fiber
        crop practices and the history sections are a broad
        overview; excerpt copied directly from
        "Bast and other plant fibres", edited by Robert R
        Franck, Woodhead Publishing Ltd., 2005
        Chapter 4 by J. Sponner, L. Toth, S. Cziger, and R.R.
        Franck

        "Part 1
        4.1 Introduction: hemp in Hungary
        Hemp was first mentioned in chronicles of the 12th
        century, after the Hungarian settlement of the
        Carpathian Basin. In 1198 the customs tariff of
        Esztergom enumerates numerates plants including hemp
        and flax. Another record mentions that the pwner of a
        cart carrying hemp or flax had to pay four bundles of
        hemp or flax as duty and according to other records
        dated 1309 a 42 acre hemp field was required for every
        57 acres of land held in villeinage.
        In the Middle Ages hemp processing, spinning and
        weaving were quite common and this work was an
        intrinsic part of the villeins' feudal obligations.
        According to a document dated 1324, of the 17
        industries listed in Hungary, spinning and weaving
        seem to have been most important.
        It is evident that in the life of the Hungarian
        people hemp has a history of a thousand years, and
        knowledge of the growing and processing of hemp was
        used to make harder-wearing fabrics. Hemp served other
        requirements as well and rope, twine, bags,
        tarpaulins, etc., were produced for agricultural and
        other purposes.
        On small farms and later on large estates hemp was
        essential. On the estates the first machines that were
        operated by mobile steam engines replaced manual tools
        and these engines were fuelled by hemp hurds. In this
        way hemp process waste was used to generate energy for
        the machines. Gradually the demand for hemp products
        grew and production increased to satisfy these wider
        markets. Hemp followed the economic and social changes
        of this lengthy period; it was part of the
        industrialization of the country and it formed the
        basis of its textile industry.
        The city of Szeged played and important role in the
        development of the Hungarian hemp industry. With the
        help of its natural waterway, the Tisza, Szeged – an
        extensive stock breeding centre – became one of the
        biggest collecting and distributive markets in the
        southern part of the country. According to Medieval
        sources, agricultural products, livestock and
        industrial products from distant regions were sold at
        large and busy fairs. The city was not only a trading
        centre but also an important staging post for traffic
        to Italy, the Balkans and the East and the traveler of
        the time could find a relatively well-developed guild
        life within its walls. In 1522 the tithe register of
        the Diocese of Bacs lists 291 independent tradesmen,
        two of them being ropemakers. After gradually
        expelling the Turks from the country the fight for
        freedom against the Habsburgs prevented the economy
        from developing and this situation improved only in
        the middle of the 18th century. The prosperity of the
        economy was greatly helped by settled German
        craftsmanship and the guilds of the city flourished.
        The development of shipping on the river Tisza
        (especially transporting wheat and other agricultural
        products) stimulated the shipbuilding industry, heavy
        canvas and rope manufacture. The rope manufacturers of
        Szeged received their first charter of incorporation
        from Maria Theresa on 20 May 1743.
        The processing of hemp and manufacturing was done in
        small guilds that could be found especially in the
        southern cities of the country. At this time `factory
        size' hemp processing did not exist and only in the
        last two decades of the 18th century do we find three
        `factory sized rope-walks'. All three were situated on
        the coast at Fume, in present Croatia.
        The raw material for the numerous little guilds was
        mainly supplied from abroad as the limited production
        of hemp from the small farms was not sufficient to
        satisfy the `hungry' industry's requirements. The
        local authorities in the country became aware of this
        situation and took important steps to develop hemp
        processing; in other words, it became essential that
        hemp processing develop into a manufacturing industry.
        A survey was made in order to establish which areas
        were most suitable for the cultivation of hemp and
        flax and 20 tonnes of high fibre yield seed was
        brought from Italy. Peasants from Bologna, who had
        several decades of experience in the growing and
        processing of hemp, were settled in the southern part
        of the country. In 1865 Count Rezso Chotek founded the
        first hemp factory in Hungary in Futak-Ojvidik (today
        Novi-Sad, in present Yugoslavia). This plant included
        scotching and other primary processing of the hemp.
        Following the establishment of this factory others
        (spinning, weaving, ropewalks, etc.) sprang up like
        mushrooms."

        This chapter goes on for 4 more paragraphs but
        concerns the modernized factory processes.

        -Kataryna
      • Tracy Kremer
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 6, 2006
          That was fascinating! Thank you, milady.

          Eluned
          --- Kataryna Dragonweaver
          <kataryna_dragonweaver@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > A survey was made in order to establish which areas
          > were most suitable for the cultivation of hemp and
          > flax and 20 tonnes of high fibre yield seed was
          > brought from Italy. Peasants from Bologna, who had
          > several decades of experience in the growing and
          > processing of hemp, were settled in the southern
          > part
          > of the country. In 1865 Count Rezso Chotek founded
          > the
          > first hemp factory in Hungary in Futak-Ojvidik
          > (today
          > Novi-Sad, in present Yugoslavia). This plant
          > included
          > scotching and other primary processing of the hemp.
          > Following the establishment of this factory others
          > (spinning, weaving, ropewalks, etc.) sprang up like
          > mushrooms."
          >
          > This chapter goes on for 4 more paragraphs but
          > concerns the modernized factory processes.

          CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

        • Tracy Kremer
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 6, 2006
            Some personal names I am considering for my new
            persona, but which I need to research further; I'm
            posting them for any input you might care to give me.

            Czeslawa - feminization of Czeslaw (the "l" being that
            other letter entirely in Polish, the crooked t).
            Polish in origin. I like the sound, but "honor and
            glory" is an unlikely choice for a girl-child.

            Malina - "raspberry" in polish

            Nadzieja - Polish form of Nadezhda, a Russian name
            meaning hope. I like this one, but it may not be
            within period.

            Walentyna - feminization of the Polish name Walenty,
            meaning healthy, strong. Something they might have
            given to a healthy female child. Easy to say, but not
            common (where I am) in the SCA. This may be a good
            choice for me.

            I'm also considering "Sopianka".

            Thanks for your time and attention,
            Eluned

            CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

          • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 6, 2006
              On 12/6/06, Tracy Kremer <eluned_p@...> wrote:

              > Some personal names I am considering for my new
              > persona, but which I need to research further; I'm
              > posting them for any input you might care to give me.
              >
              > Czeslawa - feminization of Czeslaw (the "l" being that
              > other letter entirely in Polish, the crooked t).
              > Polish in origin. I like the sound, but "honor and
              > glory" is an unlikely choice for a girl-child.
              >
              > Malina - "raspberry" in polish
              >
              > Nadzieja - Polish form of Nadezhda, a Russian name
              > meaning hope. I like this one, but it may not be
              > within period.
              >
              > Walentyna - feminization of the Polish name Walenty,
              > meaning healthy, strong. Something they might have
              > given to a healthy female child. Easy to say, but not
              > common (where I am) in the SCA. This may be a good
              > choice for me.
              >
              > I'm also considering "Sopianka".
              >
              > Thanks for your time and attention,
              > Eluned
              >
              > CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and
              > semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!
              >
              > COMING SOON; ElunedsEmporium.com !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              > Any questions? Get answers on any topic at www.Answers.yahoo.com. Try it
              > now.

              Good luck Eluned!

              Which are you leaning towards now?

              --
              Czesc Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
              Middle Kingdom, Pentamere, Shire of Talonval

            • Tracy Kremer
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 6, 2006
                > Good luck Eluned!
                >
                > Which are you leaning towards now?
                >
                > --
                > Czesc Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski

                Walentyna, maybe; Malina and Nadzieja also appeal. I
                hate to narrow my choices before I know if I can have
                any one of these. I also need to check on the
                pronunciatioins.

                --- Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski <panzygmunt@...>

                http://new.mail.yahoo.com
              • Tracy Kremer
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 6, 2006
                  Personally, I prefer blackberries. You get fruit, and
                  the damage are scratches that you can bandage; nettles
                  _sting_, leaving an itchy rash, and sometimes they
                  catch you by surprise. If you meet a stray branch of
                  bramble, you can just stop moving, and usually back it
                  off of you, and neosporin stops the discomfort.

                  Eluned

                  --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

                  > >From various references, one suspects that nettle
                  > may have been
                  > >primarily gathered from the wild rather than
                  > cultivated.
                  >
                  > Laughing. Yes, from my experience, nettles do not
                  > need to be
                  > cultivated. They do just fine on their own. I have
                  > several clumps of
                  > them if anyone wants some.
                  > Ilaria
                  > At least they aren't as bad as the blackberries.

                  CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                  Cheap talk?
                  http://voice.yahoo.com
                • Lynda Fjellman
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 7, 2006
                    Not around here. Stray branches come in howling packs and I get
                    infections from the scratches. Apparently many folks do. The fruit is
                    good though. Backing away just leaves bigger scratches and sometimes
                    the thorns behind.
                    Do you have "Himalaya" blackberries? If not, you just do *not* know
                    what you are missing in the way of nuisance blackberries.

                    You can eat nettles, they make a good cooked green. (just the newer
                    tops, cook like spinach) You do have to wear gloves to pick them
                    though.
                    Ilaria

                    Personally, I prefer blackberries. You get fruit, and
                    the damage are scratches that you can bandage; nettles
                    _sting_, leaving an itchy rash, and sometimes they
                    catch you by surprise. If you meet a stray branch of
                    bramble, you can just stop moving, and usually back it
                    off of you, and neosporin stops the discomfort.

                    Eluned

                    --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

                    > >From various references, one suspects that nettle
                    > may have been
                    > >primarily gathered from the wild rather than
                    > cultivated.
                    >
                    > Laughing. Yes, from my experience, nettles do not
                    > need to be
                    > cultivated. They do just fine on their own. I have
                    > several clumps of
                    > them if anyone wants some.
                    > Ilaria
                    > At least they aren't as bad as the blackberries.

                    CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and
                    lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice
                    prices, honest!

                  • Ilijana Krakowska
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 14, 2006
                      Yes, I know it is not that time of year, but there was a lengthy discussion about hot weather wear a year or two ago, and people just mught suffer from chafing if they do any dancing at anytime of year. I just want to share that I found a product at a sports-shoe store called Sport Shield made to prevent chafing. It rolls on like a deodorant, and really does work on the inner thighs, when we get back to that steamy weather and those long linen tunics.

                      I do not sell this product. I do not have any interest in this product other than sharing its efficacy.

                      Ilijana Krakowska
                      Per pale argent and gules, two cats sejant addorsed counterchanged.

                    • milica_od_tuzla
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 15, 2006
                        I appreciate this very much. I live in the Kingdom of Trimaris were
                        it is hot 99% of the time. I'm going to try this out. Thank you very
                        much.

                        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Ilijana Krakowska <ilijanakrakowska@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Yes, I know it is not that time of year, but there was a lengthy
                        discussion about hot weather wear a year or two ago, and people just
                        mught suffer from chafing if they do any dancing at anytime of year.
                        I just want to share that I found a product at a sports-shoe store
                        called Sport Shield made to prevent chafing. It rolls on like a
                        deodorant, and really does work on the inner thighs, when we get back
                        to that steamy weather and those long linen tunics.

                        > I do not sell this product. I do not have any interest in this
                        product other than sharing its efficacy.

                        > Ilijana Krakowska
                        > Per pale argent and gules, two cats sejant addorsed counterchanged.

                      • Master Nikulai Ivanovich, OP
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 15, 2006
                          From left field...

                          When hemming a shuba, should the hem be even all the way across so when
                          work it hangs unevenly, or should it be hemmed evenly when worn?

                          Thanks!
                          - N

                          --
                          Master Nikulai Ivanovich, OP
                          Or, on a bend cotised sable, three fox masks or palewise.
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 15, 2006

                            You might want to take a good hard look at the price and the active ingredients of this Sport Shield. I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be just anti-perspirant under a different name, and I wouldn't want anyone to pay more for it than it's worth.

                            Sofya

                          • Janin Wise
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 15, 2006
                              So roll-on anti-perspirant would work to stop inner thigh chafing? Because if it's true, and cheaper, it's still a great tip (:

                              --Cigan

                              > I just want to share that I found a product at a sports-shoe store called Sport Shield made to prevent chafing. It rolls on like a deodorant, and really does work on the inner thighs, when we get back to that steamy weather and those long linen tunics.

                              You might want to take a good hard look at the price and the active ingredients of this Sport Shield. I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be just anti-perspirant under a different name, and I wouldn't want anyone to pay more for it than it's worth.

                              Sofya

                              <!--

                              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                              #ygrp-text{
                              font-family:Georgia;
                              }
                              #ygrp-text p{
                              margin:0 0 1em 0;
                              }
                              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                              font-family:Arial;
                              clear:both;
                              }
                              #ygrp-vitnav{
                              padding-top:10px;
                              font-family:Verdana;
                              font-size:77%;
                              margin:0;
                              }
                              #ygrp-vitnav a{
                              padding:0 1px;
                              }
                              #ygrp-actbar{
                              clear:both;
                              margin:25px 0;
                              white-space:nowrap;
                              color:#666;
                              text-align:right;
                              }
                              #ygrp-actbar .left{
                              float:left;
                              white-space:nowrap;
                              }
                              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                              #ygrp-grft{
                              font-family:Verdana;
                              font-size:77%;
                              padding:15px 0;
                              }
                              #ygrp-ft{
                              font-family:verdana;
                              font-size:77%;
                              border-top:1px solid #666;
                              padding:5px 0;
                              }
                              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                              padding-bottom:10px;
                              }

                              #ygrp-vital{
                              background-color:#e0ecee;
                              margin-bottom:20px;
                              padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                              }
                              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                              font-size:77%;
                              font-family:Verdana;
                              font-weight:bold;
                              color:#333;
                              text-transform:uppercase;
                              }
                              #ygrp-vital ul{
                              padding:0;
                              margin:2px 0;
                              }
                              #ygrp-vital ul li{
                              list-style-type:none;
                              clear:both;
                              border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                              }
                              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                              font-weight:bold;
                              color:#ff7900;
                              float:right;
                              width:2em;
                              text-align:right;
                              padding-right:.5em;
                              }
                              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                              font-weight:bold;
                              }
                              #ygrp-vital a {
                              text-decoration:none;
                              }

                              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                              text-decoration:underline;
                              }

                              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                              color:#999;
                              font-size:77%;
                              }
                              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                              padding:6px 13px;
                              background-color:#e0ecee;
                              margin-bottom:20px;
                              }
                              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                              padding:0 0 0 8px;
                              margin:0;
                              }
                              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                              list-style-type:square;
                              padding:6px 0;
                              font-size:77%;
                              }
                              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                              text-decoration:none;
                              font-size:130%;
                              }
                              #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                              background-color:#eee;
                              margin-bottom:20px;
                              padding:0 8px;
                              }
                              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                              padding:8px 0;
                              }
                              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                              font-family:Arial;
                              font-weight:bold;
                              color:#628c2a;
                              font-size:100%;
                              line-height:122%;
                              }
                              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                              text-decoration:none;
                              }
                              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                              text-decoration:underline;
                              }
                              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                              margin:0;
                              }
                              o {font-size:0;}
                              .MsoNormal {
                              margin:0 0 0 0;
                              }
                              #ygrp-text tt{
                              font-size:120%;
                              }
                              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                              .replbq {margin:4;}
                              -->

                            • L.M. Kies
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 15, 2006
                                Master Nikulai, poklon ot Sofya.

                                I would say it should be hemmed so it hangs evenly when worn - see below.

                                http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PeriodImages/soloveckoevos30.jpg
                                http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/clothingart.html

                                K tvoim uslugam,

                                Sofya

                              • magdalenag56
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 16, 2006
                                  I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be just anti-perspirant
                                  under a different name, and I wouldn't want anyone to pay more for it
                                  than it's worth.

                                  > Sofya

                                  I've heard about people using their anti-perspirant for chafing at
                                  Pennsic. So do check that out.

                                  Just my dwa zlota
                                  Magdalena Gdanska
                                • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 16, 2006
                                    I guess I'm old fashioned or something but I either wear bloomers (not that
                                    I have documentation for Rus women wearing them) while at pennsic or I wear
                                    biker shorts to help with that. Powders or creams tend to make me break out
                                    worse...though there was an herbalist at Pennsic that was selling chaffing
                                    powder to help with that, though I don't know the ingredients.

                                    Posadnitsa Ianuk

                                  • aleannain@insightbb.com
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 16, 2006
                                      I use simple baby powder and it seems to help me...whether I be fighting or in garb...it helps with me not chafing.

                                      Anushka

                                      > I guess I'm old fashioned or something but I either wear
                                      > bloomers (not that
                                      > I have documentation for Rus women wearing them) while at
                                      > pennsic or I wear
                                      > biker shorts to help with that. Powders or creams tend to
                                      > make me break out
                                      > worse...though there was an herbalist at Pennsic that was
                                      > selling chaffing
                                      > powder to help with that, though I don't know the ingredients.
                                      >
                                      > Posadnitsa Ianuk
                                      >

                                      > On 12/16/06, magdalenag56 <magdalenag56@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be just
                                      > anti-perspirant
                                      > > under a different name, and I wouldn't want anyone to pay more
                                      > for it
                                      > > than it's worth.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Sofya
                                      > >
                                      > > I've heard about people using their anti-perspirant for
                                      > chafing at
                                      > > Pennsic. So do check that out.
                                      > >
                                      > > Just my dwa zlota
                                      > > Magdalena Gdanska

                                    • Ilijana Krakowska
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 17, 2006
                                        According to the label, the ingredients are "Dimethicone, Aloe Vera Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E)"
                                        I think the dimethicone (which I seem to recall is an ingredient in the OTC anti-gas/stomach acid products) is probably the anti-friction agent with the Vitamin E and the Aloe Vera in there to help reduce the irritation.

                                        As far as anti-perspriants go, I have used them to prevent the sweat from rolling down my thighs, but the brand I use didn't do anthing to prevent chafing as far as I could tell.

                                        "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                        [snip] I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be just anti-perspirant under a different name, and I wouldn't want anyone to pay more for it than it's worth.

                                        Sofya

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 17, 2006

                                          I'm sure it depends on the kind of anti-perspirant - mine would work quite nice for chafing - but then it's "inactive ingredients" include talc, dimethicone, and hydrogenated castor oil, among others. (Aluminum zirconium trichlorohydrex etc. is the active "anti-perspirant" ingredient.) I've used some roll-ons in the past that went on sticky and seemed to stay sticky - bad for chaffing.

                                          Since most anti-perspirants are not sealed in the store, put a little on your fingers and see how "slippery" it feels, or look for the "slippery" ingredients.

                                          Oh, and anti-gas products contain simethicone, not dimethicone. Hmm... dimethicone is an alternative treatment for head lice. Interesting. I guess it helps comb out the nits. ;)

                                          Sofya

                                        • Rick Orli
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 20, 2006
                                            One of the 17th C. tailors who speaks to us through his writing -
                                            don't remember who right off- said that the worst sort of fault in a
                                            garmet that a tailor could commit is if the hem in the front is
                                            longer than the hem in the back. -Rick

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 22, 2006
                                              Thanks!

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 22, 2006
                                                Thanks!

                                                On Fri, December 15, 2006 9:26 pm, L.M. Kies wrote:
                                                > Master Nikulai, poklon ot Sofya.

                                              • Marina Anastasia Ozeroski
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 22, 2006
                                                  Can anyone direct me to a suitable supplier for period (or
                                                  period-looking foorwear) for a late period Ukrainian?

                                                  Thanks
                                                  Marina
                                                • Stephanie Ross
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Dec 26, 2006
                                                    You could try Vika at Ebay - item #190065182643. I bet if you emailed her
                                                    she might be able to make them according to your specifications if what
                                                    she's selling isn't exactly what you're looking for. She has all her wares
                                                    made in Ukraine (which is where she is from and her mom still lives there
                                                    and looks for stuff for her to sell here). She is also rather knowledgeable
                                                    about peasant costume and is very nice to talk with.

                                                    Nadya
                                                    Et si omnes, ego non.