coronets

  • Lynda Fjellman
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2006
      I have been giving a lot of thought lately to coronets in general.
      I have come up with one question. Would the person in question have
      worn one at all? I am positive that some people of some ranks, in some
      places, would have worn one. I am also positive that many people, of
      practically any rank at all, in some places would not.

      My hubby is doing Polish and I know that the Poles had regalia for
      coronations, often *rented* from somewhere else! Did they wear it on a
      regular basis? Don't know. The pictures I've found so far don't
      indicate Coronets in general. They do however indicate very rich
      attire.

      I do Italian and Spanish. I am quite sure that coronets are rarely worn
      there. Almost every coronet I find is either represented on a dead
      person, i.e. a tomb sculpture or monument, or on a "mythic or
      historical" person of some sort. I.e. "Salome" or the "Queen of Sheba".
      The other coronets I find in Italy and Spain are worn by "imported"
      people, especially German ladies married to high ranking Italians. This
      does not eliminate "head jewelry" in the form of circlets though. Those
      were very popular.

      Now as for this, do I recommend *not* wearing a coronet? No. Go ahead
      and wear one. It is an SCA convention. It is also the way we tell each
      others rank. In period the high ranking people just didn't have that
      problem. They were easy to pick out because of their clothing, or were
      supposed to be. That was the reason for all those sumptuary laws after
      all.

      Pearls are the traditional Baronial insignia and pearls are really
      popular in the Middle ages and Renaissance. They are also pretty easy
      to come by in many areas, but still show your wealth. Showing wealth
      was very important in Poland in the late 1500's. The Poles were
      strongly influenced by Western dress at this point in time, and the
      "eastern" forms were just starting to take over in 1600. You can sort
      of look either way for your inspiration. Maybe a western style coronet,
      luckily the common types of baronial SCA coronets look rather period,
      worn *with* a "Polish" hat? (Like a hat band.) It is one of the ways
      I've found coronets in period to have been worn.

      Here is a link for "SCA" coronets. The type I mean is the rounded
      pointed sort, along the lines of the first two.
      http://www.darkridgejewels.com/gallery/CROWNS-CORONETS

      Ilaria

    • JoAnna Buxton