Re: [sig] Re: polish garb for men Qs- amber

  • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
      I generally only buy from people I know, who trade directly with Eastern
      Europe. But then, I buy all my amber in the SCA. :)

      > While I don't disagree, amber is easily faked with modern resins and
      > plastics, and faked amber is big business. On the other hand, the
      > fakes are often so good that if you don't know, or do know, you can
      > still be a happy customer. You can easily pay more for the same fake
      > in a shop. But if you want a really nice piece that costs several
      > hundred dollars, watch out.
      >
      > > no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
      > > the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
      > > out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
      > > Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market.>
      > >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Tracy Kremer
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 6, 2006
        Oh, I forgot that some people have not trained
        themselve in amber purchasing. I, well, I've trained
        to know the difference. Also, I got my sources from
        someone who has/had (he quit selling) good sources.
        But, when it comes to rough amber, strung amber
        chunks, which is what I prefer, they seldom bother to
        fake them; not enough money in it. It's the polished,
        finished pieces that you have to check out carefully.

        Eluned

        <jenne@...> wrote:

        > I generally only buy from people I know, who trade
        > directly with Eastern
        > Europe. But then, I buy all my amber in the SCA. :)
        >
        > > While I don't disagree, amber is easily faked with
        > modern resins and
        > > plastics, and faked amber is big business. On the
        > other hand, the
        > > fakes are often so good that if you don't know, or
        > do know, you can
        > > still be a happy customer. You can easily pay
        > more for the same fake
        > > in a shop. But if you want a really nice piece
        > that costs several
        > > hundred dollars, watch out.
        > >
        > > > no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced;
        > find
        > > > the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who
        > sell
        > > > out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
        > > > Polish version of the farmer's market/flea
        > market.>
        > > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        > --
        > -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika
        > jenne@...
        > "History doesn't always repeat itself. Sometimes it
        > screams
        > 'Why don't you ever listen to me?' and lets fly with
        > a club."

        CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

        http://new.mail.yahoo.com