RE: [sig] polish garb for men Qs

  • Lynda Fjellman
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
      Well, if you have suggestions, I would be quite happy to hear them! We
      are definitely going to Warsaw and Krakow, but any other interesting
      places would be welcome. Especially if they have anything relating to
      SCA period.

      I do plan to look at the amber while we are there, never know I might
      find something interesting, but it really isn't my favorite thing.
      Ilaria

      What part of Poland are you going to?

      If you get a chance, the _old_ city in Gdansk is
      really neat....it was one of the mercantile centers
      back then, and they still have some of the walls, and
      some of the harbor, and some great (carefully rebuilt)
      small museums and medieval streets.

      Eluned
    • Tracy Kremer
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
        I recommend that you check out Malbork; the main
        castle of the Teutonic Knights when they occupied
        Poland. I believe it is "period" - and, although
        brick, quite amazing for size, and also in excellent
        condition. It is convenient to a train station (as is
        most of Poland) although you have to take a taxi there
        from the station.
        Please note that dates are not arranged as we do - the
        order is different.

        Eluned

        --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

        > Well, if you have suggestions, I would be quite
        > happy to hear them! We
        > are definitely going to Warsaw and Krakow, but any
        > other interesting
        > places would be welcome. Especially if they have
        > anything relating to
        > SCA period.
        >
        > I do plan to look at the amber while we are there,
        > never know I might
        > find something interesting, but it really isn't my
        > favorite thing.
        > Ilaria
        >
        > What part of Poland are you going to?
        >
        > If you get a chance, the _old_ city in Gdansk is
        > really neat....it was one of the mercantile centers
        > back then, and they still have some of the walls,
        > and
        > some of the harbor, and some great (carefully
        > rebuilt)
        > small museums and medieval streets.
        >
        > Eluned

        CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

        Cheap talk?
        http://voice.yahoo.com
      • Tracy Kremer
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
          Oh, and if you do go to Gdansk, I especially recommend
          "King Arthur's Court" and the merchant headquarters
          that are there, plus the displays in the museum part.
          As well as lots of historical stuff, the
          government-sponsored display of amber-appliqued
          furniture is truly awsome, although modern There is
          also a museum elsewhere, in part of the old wall....

          Eluned

          --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

          > Well, if you have suggestions, I would be quite
          > happy to hear them! We
          > are definitely going to Warsaw and Krakow, but any
          > other interesting
          > places would be welcome. Especially if they have
          > anything relating to
          > SCA period.
          >
          > I do plan to look at the amber while we are there,
          > never know I might
          > find something interesting, but it really isn't my
          > favorite thing.
          > Ilaria
          >
          > What part of Poland are you going to?
          >
          > If you get a chance, the _old_ city in Gdansk is
          > really neat....it was one of the mercantile centers
          > back then, and they still have some of the walls,
          > and
          > some of the harbor, and some great (carefully
          > rebuilt)
          > small museums and medieval streets.
          >
          > Eluned

          CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

          http://new.mail.yahoo.com
        • Rick Orli
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
            While I don't disagree, amber is easily faked with modern resins and
            plastics, and faked amber is big business. On the other hand, the
            fakes are often so good that if you don't know, or do know, you can
            still be a happy customer. You can easily pay more for the same fake
            in a shop. But if you want a really nice piece that costs several
            hundred dollars, watch out.

            > no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
            > the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
            > out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
            > Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market.>

          • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
              I generally only buy from people I know, who trade directly with Eastern
              Europe. But then, I buy all my amber in the SCA. :)

              > While I don't disagree, amber is easily faked with modern resins and
              > plastics, and faked amber is big business. On the other hand, the
              > fakes are often so good that if you don't know, or do know, you can
              > still be a happy customer. You can easily pay more for the same fake
              > in a shop. But if you want a really nice piece that costs several
              > hundred dollars, watch out.
              >
              > > no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
              > > the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
              > > out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
              > > Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market.>
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Tracy Kremer
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 6, 2006
                Oh, I forgot that some people have not trained
                themselve in amber purchasing. I, well, I've trained
                to know the difference. Also, I got my sources from
                someone who has/had (he quit selling) good sources.
                But, when it comes to rough amber, strung amber
                chunks, which is what I prefer, they seldom bother to
                fake them; not enough money in it. It's the polished,
                finished pieces that you have to check out carefully.

                Eluned