RE: [sig] polish garb for men Qs

  • Tracy Kremer
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
      --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:
      > We are going to Poland in March/April so maybe I
      > will turn something up
      > there.

      Wow! congrats!

      Don't forget to pick up some amber while you're there;
      no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
      the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
      out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
      Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market. If
      nobody else can, one of the taxi-drivers should be
      able to show you where these are! Some of them are
      really great (the open-air markets, I mean, although
      the taxi-guys are pretty cool sometimes too!)

      What part of Poland are you going to?

      If you get a chance, the _old_ city in Gdansk is
      really neat....it was one of the mercantile centers
      back then, and they still have some of the walls, and
      some of the harbor, and some great (carefully rebuilt)
      small museums and medieval streets.

      Eluned

      CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

      Cheap talk?
      http://voice.yahoo.com
    • Lynda Fjellman
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
        Well, if you have suggestions, I would be quite happy to hear them! We
        are definitely going to Warsaw and Krakow, but any other interesting
        places would be welcome. Especially if they have anything relating to
        SCA period.

        I do plan to look at the amber while we are there, never know I might
        find something interesting, but it really isn't my favorite thing.
        Ilaria

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
          I recommend that you check out Malbork; the main
          castle of the Teutonic Knights when they occupied
          Poland. I believe it is "period" - and, although
          brick, quite amazing for size, and also in excellent
          condition. It is convenient to a train station (as is
          most of Poland) although you have to take a taxi there
          from the station.
          Please note that dates are not arranged as we do - the
          order is different.

          Eluned

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
            Oh, and if you do go to Gdansk, I especially recommend
            "King Arthur's Court" and the merchant headquarters
            that are there, plus the displays in the museum part.
            As well as lots of historical stuff, the
            government-sponsored display of amber-appliqued
            furniture is truly awsome, although modern There is
            also a museum elsewhere, in part of the old wall....

            Eluned

            --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

            > Well, if you have suggestions, I would be quite
            > happy to hear them! We
            > are definitely going to Warsaw and Krakow, but any
            > other interesting
            > places would be welcome. Especially if they have
            > anything relating to
            > SCA period.
            >
            > I do plan to look at the amber while we are there,
            > never know I might
            > find something interesting, but it really isn't my
            > favorite thing.
            > Ilaria
            >
            > What part of Poland are you going to?
            >
            > If you get a chance, the _old_ city in Gdansk is
            > really neat....it was one of the mercantile centers
            > back then, and they still have some of the walls,
            > and
            > some of the harbor, and some great (carefully
            > rebuilt)
            > small museums and medieval streets.
            >
            > Eluned

            CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

            http://new.mail.yahoo.com
          • Rick Orli
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
              While I don't disagree, amber is easily faked with modern resins and
              plastics, and faked amber is big business. On the other hand, the
              fakes are often so good that if you don't know, or do know, you can
              still be a happy customer. You can easily pay more for the same fake
              in a shop. But if you want a really nice piece that costs several
              hundred dollars, watch out.

              > no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
              > the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
              > out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
              > Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market.>

            • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                I generally only buy from people I know, who trade directly with Eastern
                Europe. But then, I buy all my amber in the SCA. :)

                > While I don't disagree, amber is easily faked with modern resins and
                > plastics, and faked amber is big business. On the other hand, the
                > fakes are often so good that if you don't know, or do know, you can
                > still be a happy customer. You can easily pay more for the same fake
                > in a shop. But if you want a really nice piece that costs several
                > hundred dollars, watch out.
                >
                > > no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
                > > the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
                > > out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
                > > Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market.>
                > >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Tracy Kremer
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 6, 2006
                  Oh, I forgot that some people have not trained
                  themselve in amber purchasing. I, well, I've trained
                  to know the difference. Also, I got my sources from
                  someone who has/had (he quit selling) good sources.
                  But, when it comes to rough amber, strung amber
                  chunks, which is what I prefer, they seldom bother to
                  fake them; not enough money in it. It's the polished,
                  finished pieces that you have to check out carefully.

                  Eluned