Polish Names for Women (and men)

  • Tracy Kremer
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
      This source seems pretty good, once you filter out the
      dubious ones and do the research on the probability of
      the names given. They provide the feminine versions
      of some of the masculine names that _are_ documented,
      plus they give definitions.

      http://www.20000-names.com/female_polish_names.htm

      Eluned

      CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
    • Tracy Kremer
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
        --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:
        > We are going to Poland in March/April so maybe I
        > will turn something up
        > there.

        Wow! congrats!

        Don't forget to pick up some amber while you're there;
        no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
        the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
        out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
        Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market. If
        nobody else can, one of the taxi-drivers should be
        able to show you where these are! Some of them are
        really great (the open-air markets, I mean, although
        the taxi-guys are pretty cool sometimes too!)

        What part of Poland are you going to?

        If you get a chance, the _old_ city in Gdansk is
        really neat....it was one of the mercantile centers
        back then, and they still have some of the walls, and
        some of the harbor, and some great (carefully rebuilt)
        small museums and medieval streets.

        Eluned

        CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

        Cheap talk?
        http://voice.yahoo.com
      • Lynda Fjellman
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
          Well, if you have suggestions, I would be quite happy to hear them! We
          are definitely going to Warsaw and Krakow, but any other interesting
          places would be welcome. Especially if they have anything relating to
          SCA period.

          I do plan to look at the amber while we are there, never know I might
          find something interesting, but it really isn't my favorite thing.
          Ilaria

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
            I recommend that you check out Malbork; the main
            castle of the Teutonic Knights when they occupied
            Poland. I believe it is "period" - and, although
            brick, quite amazing for size, and also in excellent
            condition. It is convenient to a train station (as is
            most of Poland) although you have to take a taxi there
            from the station.
            Please note that dates are not arranged as we do - the
            order is different.

            Eluned

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
              Oh, and if you do go to Gdansk, I especially recommend
              "King Arthur's Court" and the merchant headquarters
              that are there, plus the displays in the museum part.
              As well as lots of historical stuff, the
              government-sponsored display of amber-appliqued
              furniture is truly awsome, although modern There is
              also a museum elsewhere, in part of the old wall....

              Eluned

              --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

              > Well, if you have suggestions, I would be quite
              > happy to hear them! We
              > are definitely going to Warsaw and Krakow, but any
              > other interesting
              > places would be welcome. Especially if they have
              > anything relating to
              > SCA period.
              >
              > I do plan to look at the amber while we are there,
              > never know I might
              > find something interesting, but it really isn't my
              > favorite thing.
              > Ilaria
              >
              > What part of Poland are you going to?
              >
              > If you get a chance, the _old_ city in Gdansk is
              > really neat....it was one of the mercantile centers
              > back then, and they still have some of the walls,
              > and
              > some of the harbor, and some great (carefully
              > rebuilt)
              > small museums and medieval streets.
              >
              > Eluned

              CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

              http://new.mail.yahoo.com
            • Rick Orli
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                While I don't disagree, amber is easily faked with modern resins and
                plastics, and faked amber is big business. On the other hand, the
                fakes are often so good that if you don't know, or do know, you can
                still be a happy customer. You can easily pay more for the same fake
                in a shop. But if you want a really nice piece that costs several
                hundred dollars, watch out.

                > no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
                > the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
                > out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
                > Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market.>

              • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                  I generally only buy from people I know, who trade directly with Eastern
                  Europe. But then, I buy all my amber in the SCA. :)

                  > While I don't disagree, amber is easily faked with modern resins and
                  > plastics, and faked amber is big business. On the other hand, the
                  > fakes are often so good that if you don't know, or do know, you can
                  > still be a happy customer. You can easily pay more for the same fake
                  > in a shop. But if you want a really nice piece that costs several
                  > hundred dollars, watch out.
                  >
                  > > no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
                  > > the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
                  > > out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
                  > > Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market.>
                  > >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Tracy Kremer
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 6, 2006
                    Oh, I forgot that some people have not trained
                    themselve in amber purchasing. I, well, I've trained
                    to know the difference. Also, I got my sources from
                    someone who has/had (he quit selling) good sources.
                    But, when it comes to rough amber, strung amber
                    chunks, which is what I prefer, they seldom bother to
                    fake them; not enough money in it. It's the polished,
                    finished pieces that you have to check out carefully.

                    Eluned