RE: [sig] polish garb for men Qs

  • Lynda Fjellman
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
      Ah, well, evidence of something is quite different! Wool will survive
      in conditions that Linen will not, perhaps that is the problem.

      Few people with a choice in the matter will wear wool next to their skin
      unless they have *really* fine wool so some sort of plant fiber is
      generally worn as an under layer. (Unless they have silk)

      The term *linen* is also problematic as it generally refers to the
      fabric made from the flax plant. However, ramie, hemp, nettles, and
      other bast fiber producing plants make good fabric and are sometimes
      called "linen" as well.

      I certainly know how hard it is to find sources. I don't reply to a lot
      of questions as I have no answers, not for lack of trying.
      My husband is doing 1600 Polish Winged Hussar and finding good resources
      can be interesting.
      We are going to Poland in March/April so maybe I will turn something up
      there.

      As far as undergarments go, sometimes I make a shirt like a western
      European one and sometimes I make them more like a tunic, more similar
      to what a Turk might have worn.
      My husband is doing a Scots persona who moved to Poland so he will have
      his memories of what he wore at home to help guide him in what to wear.
      In addition Poland was looking both east and west for clothing ideas at
      that point in time so I kind of pick and choose.
      Ilaria

      I don't know, I just know what I had read; they
      perhaps meant, _evidence_ of linen was rare, or maybe
      it was a translation error. I guess I should have
      questioned it, but it may also have been a cultural
      rarity; some places that _can_ make something,
      nonetheless _don't_ make it....and you have to know
      the culture well to know it that is the case. I'm
      learning from what sources I can, but those are at
      present limited.

      Eluned

      --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

      > Why would linen be rare in Russia unless they didn't
      > choose to grow it?
      > It grows well in Scandinavia.
      > Cotton is a warm weather crop.
      > Ilaria
      >

      > Linen was rare further north in Russia, but since
      > Poland was closer to warmer climes (mercantile-wise,
      > at least), I would say yes to linen, but perhaps a
      > looser style than the tunic and coat, since it will
      > also be a lighter material. What of the wrists and
      > neckline? You could probably get away with a
      > drawstring and not too generous a cut of the cloth,
      > but I'm guessing.
      >
      > be well
      > still Eluned (working on it...)
      >

      > --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:
      >
      > > So maybe a thigh length version of the coat in a
      > > linen blend for the
      > > undertunic? Catching up on emails so I still have
      > > some to check out.
      > >
      > > Kathws
      > >
      > > Tracy Kremer wrote:
      > > > Sometimes, just making a simpler version of
      > > something
      > > > does the trick....

      > > knight
      > > pattern.

    • Tracy Kremer
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
        This source seems pretty good, once you filter out the
        dubious ones and do the research on the probability of
        the names given. They provide the feminine versions
        of some of the masculine names that _are_ documented,
        plus they give definitions.

        http://www.20000-names.com/female_polish_names.htm

        Eluned

        CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
      • Tracy Kremer
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
          --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:
          > We are going to Poland in March/April so maybe I
          > will turn something up
          > there.

          Wow! congrats!

          Don't forget to pick up some amber while you're there;
          no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
          the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
          out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
          Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market. If
          nobody else can, one of the taxi-drivers should be
          able to show you where these are! Some of them are
          really great (the open-air markets, I mean, although
          the taxi-guys are pretty cool sometimes too!)

          What part of Poland are you going to?

          If you get a chance, the _old_ city in Gdansk is
          really neat....it was one of the mercantile centers
          back then, and they still have some of the walls, and
          some of the harbor, and some great (carefully rebuilt)
          small museums and medieval streets.

          Eluned

          CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

          Cheap talk?
          http://voice.yahoo.com
        • Lynda Fjellman
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
            Well, if you have suggestions, I would be quite happy to hear them! We
            are definitely going to Warsaw and Krakow, but any other interesting
            places would be welcome. Especially if they have anything relating to
            SCA period.

            I do plan to look at the amber while we are there, never know I might
            find something interesting, but it really isn't my favorite thing.
            Ilaria

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
              I recommend that you check out Malbork; the main
              castle of the Teutonic Knights when they occupied
              Poland. I believe it is "period" - and, although
              brick, quite amazing for size, and also in excellent
              condition. It is convenient to a train station (as is
              most of Poland) although you have to take a taxi there
              from the station.
              Please note that dates are not arranged as we do - the
              order is different.

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
                Oh, and if you do go to Gdansk, I especially recommend
                "King Arthur's Court" and the merchant headquarters
                that are there, plus the displays in the museum part.
                As well as lots of historical stuff, the
                government-sponsored display of amber-appliqued
                furniture is truly awsome, although modern There is
                also a museum elsewhere, in part of the old wall....

                Eluned

                --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

                > Well, if you have suggestions, I would be quite
                > happy to hear them! We
                > are definitely going to Warsaw and Krakow, but any
                > other interesting
                > places would be welcome. Especially if they have
                > anything relating to
                > SCA period.
                >
                > I do plan to look at the amber while we are there,
                > never know I might
                > find something interesting, but it really isn't my
                > favorite thing.
                > Ilaria
                >
                > What part of Poland are you going to?
                >
                > If you get a chance, the _old_ city in Gdansk is
                > really neat....it was one of the mercantile centers
                > back then, and they still have some of the walls,
                > and
                > some of the harbor, and some great (carefully
                > rebuilt)
                > small museums and medieval streets.
                >
                > Eluned

                CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                http://new.mail.yahoo.com
              • Rick Orli
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                  While I don't disagree, amber is easily faked with modern resins and
                  plastics, and faked amber is big business. On the other hand, the
                  fakes are often so good that if you don't know, or do know, you can
                  still be a happy customer. You can easily pay more for the same fake
                  in a shop. But if you want a really nice piece that costs several
                  hundred dollars, watch out.

                  > no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
                  > the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
                  > out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
                  > Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market.>

                • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                    I generally only buy from people I know, who trade directly with Eastern
                    Europe. But then, I buy all my amber in the SCA. :)

                    > While I don't disagree, amber is easily faked with modern resins and
                    > plastics, and faked amber is big business. On the other hand, the
                    > fakes are often so good that if you don't know, or do know, you can
                    > still be a happy customer. You can easily pay more for the same fake
                    > in a shop. But if you want a really nice piece that costs several
                    > hundred dollars, watch out.
                    >
                    > > no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
                    > > the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
                    > > out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
                    > > Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market.>
                    > >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Tracy Kremer
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 6, 2006
                      Oh, I forgot that some people have not trained
                      themselve in amber purchasing. I, well, I've trained
                      to know the difference. Also, I got my sources from
                      someone who has/had (he quit selling) good sources.
                      But, when it comes to rough amber, strung amber
                      chunks, which is what I prefer, they seldom bother to
                      fake them; not enough money in it. It's the polished,
                      finished pieces that you have to check out carefully.

                      Eluned