RE: [sig] polish garb for men Qs

  • Tracy Kremer
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
      sounds about right.
      Eluned
      --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

      > >>Linen was rare further north in Russia,
      > >>

      > >Why would linen be rare in Russia unless they
      > didn't choose to grow it?
      > It grows well in Scandinavia.
      > >

      > Linen wasn't rare in Russia. It was the standard
      > fabric of rubakhy/sorochiki, porty, letniki, etc.
      > Linen fabrics were among the home-woven fabrics made
      > and used by the peasants, and, unlike wools and
      > silks, do not seem to have been imported even for
      > the upper classes.
      >
      > They must have meant to say that cotton was rare in
      > Russia.
      >
      > Sofya

      > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
      > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
      > "Si no necare, sana."

      > removed]

      CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
    • Tracy Kremer
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
        I don't know, I just know what I had read; they
        perhaps meant, _evidence_ of linen was rare, or maybe
        it was a translation error. I guess I should have
        questioned it, but it may also have been a cultural
        rarity; some places that _can_ make something,
        nonetheless _don't_ make it....and you have to know
        the culture well to know it that is the case. I'm
        learning from what sources I can, but those are at
        present limited.

        Eluned

        --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

        > Why would linen be rare in Russia unless they didn't
        > choose to grow it?
        > It grows well in Scandinavia.
        > Cotton is a warm weather crop.
        > Ilaria
        >

        > Linen was rare further north in Russia, but since
        > Poland was closer to warmer climes (mercantile-wise,
        > at least), I would say yes to linen, but perhaps a
        > looser style than the tunic and coat, since it will
        > also be a lighter material. What of the wrists and
        > neckline? You could probably get away with a
        > drawstring and not too generous a cut of the cloth,
        > but I'm guessing.
        >
        > be well
        > still Eluned (working on it...)
        >

        > --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:
        >
        > > So maybe a thigh length version of the coat in a
        > > linen blend for the
        > > undertunic? Catching up on emails so I still have
        > > some to check out.
        > >
        > > Kathws
        > >
        > > Tracy Kremer wrote:
        > > > Sometimes, just making a simpler version of
        > > something
        > > > does the trick....

        > > knight
        > > pattern.
        > >

        > CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For
        > SCA, New Age, and
        > lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver
        > only, no gold. Nice
        > prices, honest!
        >
        > COMING SOON; ElunedsEmporium.com !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

        CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

        Want to start your own business?
        Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
        http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
      • Lynda Fjellman
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
          Ah, well, evidence of something is quite different! Wool will survive
          in conditions that Linen will not, perhaps that is the problem.

          Few people with a choice in the matter will wear wool next to their skin
          unless they have *really* fine wool so some sort of plant fiber is
          generally worn as an under layer. (Unless they have silk)

          The term *linen* is also problematic as it generally refers to the
          fabric made from the flax plant. However, ramie, hemp, nettles, and
          other bast fiber producing plants make good fabric and are sometimes
          called "linen" as well.

          I certainly know how hard it is to find sources. I don't reply to a lot
          of questions as I have no answers, not for lack of trying.
          My husband is doing 1600 Polish Winged Hussar and finding good resources
          can be interesting.
          We are going to Poland in March/April so maybe I will turn something up
          there.

          As far as undergarments go, sometimes I make a shirt like a western
          European one and sometimes I make them more like a tunic, more similar
          to what a Turk might have worn.
          My husband is doing a Scots persona who moved to Poland so he will have
          his memories of what he wore at home to help guide him in what to wear.
          In addition Poland was looking both east and west for clothing ideas at
          that point in time so I kind of pick and choose.
          Ilaria

        • Tracy Kremer
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
            This source seems pretty good, once you filter out the
            dubious ones and do the research on the probability of
            the names given. They provide the feminine versions
            of some of the masculine names that _are_ documented,
            plus they give definitions.

            http://www.20000-names.com/female_polish_names.htm

            Eluned

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
              --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:
              > We are going to Poland in March/April so maybe I
              > will turn something up
              > there.

              Wow! congrats!

              Don't forget to pick up some amber while you're there;
              no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
              the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
              out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
              Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market. If
              nobody else can, one of the taxi-drivers should be
              able to show you where these are! Some of them are
              really great (the open-air markets, I mean, although
              the taxi-guys are pretty cool sometimes too!)

              What part of Poland are you going to?

              If you get a chance, the _old_ city in Gdansk is
              really neat....it was one of the mercantile centers
              back then, and they still have some of the walls, and
              some of the harbor, and some great (carefully rebuilt)
              small museums and medieval streets.

              Eluned

              CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

              Cheap talk?
              http://voice.yahoo.com
            • Lynda Fjellman
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
                Well, if you have suggestions, I would be quite happy to hear them! We
                are definitely going to Warsaw and Krakow, but any other interesting
                places would be welcome. Especially if they have anything relating to
                SCA period.

                I do plan to look at the amber while we are there, never know I might
                find something interesting, but it really isn't my favorite thing.
                Ilaria

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
                  I recommend that you check out Malbork; the main
                  castle of the Teutonic Knights when they occupied
                  Poland. I believe it is "period" - and, although
                  brick, quite amazing for size, and also in excellent
                  condition. It is convenient to a train station (as is
                  most of Poland) although you have to take a taxi there
                  from the station.
                  Please note that dates are not arranged as we do - the
                  order is different.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
                    Oh, and if you do go to Gdansk, I especially recommend
                    "King Arthur's Court" and the merchant headquarters
                    that are there, plus the displays in the museum part.
                    As well as lots of historical stuff, the
                    government-sponsored display of amber-appliqued
                    furniture is truly awsome, although modern There is
                    also a museum elsewhere, in part of the old wall....

                    Eluned

                    --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

                    > Well, if you have suggestions, I would be quite
                    > happy to hear them! We
                    > are definitely going to Warsaw and Krakow, but any
                    > other interesting
                    > places would be welcome. Especially if they have
                    > anything relating to
                    > SCA period.
                    >
                    > I do plan to look at the amber while we are there,
                    > never know I might
                    > find something interesting, but it really isn't my
                    > favorite thing.
                    > Ilaria
                    >
                    > What part of Poland are you going to?
                    >
                    > If you get a chance, the _old_ city in Gdansk is
                    > really neat....it was one of the mercantile centers
                    > back then, and they still have some of the walls,
                    > and
                    > some of the harbor, and some great (carefully
                    > rebuilt)
                    > small museums and medieval streets.
                    >
                    > Eluned

                    CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                    http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                  • Rick Orli
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                      While I don't disagree, amber is easily faked with modern resins and
                      plastics, and faked amber is big business. On the other hand, the
                      fakes are often so good that if you don't know, or do know, you can
                      still be a happy customer. You can easily pay more for the same fake
                      in a shop. But if you want a really nice piece that costs several
                      hundred dollars, watch out.

                      > no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
                      > the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
                      > out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
                      > Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market.>

                    • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                        I generally only buy from people I know, who trade directly with Eastern
                        Europe. But then, I buy all my amber in the SCA. :)

                        > While I don't disagree, amber is easily faked with modern resins and
                        > plastics, and faked amber is big business. On the other hand, the
                        > fakes are often so good that if you don't know, or do know, you can
                        > still be a happy customer. You can easily pay more for the same fake
                        > in a shop. But if you want a really nice piece that costs several
                        > hundred dollars, watch out.
                        >
                        > > no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
                        > > the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
                        > > out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
                        > > Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market.>
                        > >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Tracy Kremer
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 6, 2006
                          Oh, I forgot that some people have not trained
                          themselve in amber purchasing. I, well, I've trained
                          to know the difference. Also, I got my sources from
                          someone who has/had (he quit selling) good sources.
                          But, when it comes to rough amber, strung amber
                          chunks, which is what I prefer, they seldom bother to
                          fake them; not enough money in it. It's the polished,
                          finished pieces that you have to check out carefully.

                          Eluned