Re: [sig] Intro and howdy!

  • aldo
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 23, 2006
      Dear Baryshnya Eluned, I have also a shorter article on the Arrival of the Slavs in the Russian Plain in Italian which I may send u if you like. It takes you back into the VI-VII century when the Slavs tried to settle in the largest marshes of the world: the PRIPYAT BASIN (larger than the Everglades), how they wnet along the norther borders of these marshes and entered finally into Polotsk and Novgorod areas where they met with Finns and Balts. Before this date nothing is known! I tried to translate it into English but the translation was so ridiculous that I gave up. I sent it over to Goldschmidt. U may ask him or, once again, ask me to send it over to u in Italian.
      Ciao

      Aldo

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006
        Sorry, I don't read Italian either. I am able to read Spanish and
        French, and just began teaching myself Russian, but I am researching
        Novgorod. Maybe someone can suggest an English resource?

        Thanks!

        Albina
      • Albina Gherardi
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006
          Yes, Eluned, Polish is difficult to find classes for. Don't know
          why. UNC-CH I know used to teach it, but even I don't want to travel
          that far for 1 class. So, I resigned myself to Russian as well.

          More later, I need to clean up after yesterday!

          Albina
        • L.M. Kies
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006

            >Sorry, I don't read Italian either. I am able to read Spanish and
            French, and just began teaching myself Russian, but I am researching
            Novgorod. Maybe someone can suggest an English resource?

            Well, you still haven't told us exactly what period you are looking at. Pagan Rus (before conversion)? Kievan Rus (before Mongol conquest)?

            There's usually some brief information on very early Rus history in standard Russian history texts. I've found a couple of brief on-line English summaries of "Slavs in Antiquity" and "Slavs in the Early Middle Ages" although I have not read them carefully yet:

            http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs.html
            http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs_2.html

            I'm assuming you've seen "Life in 13th Century Novgorod". A lot of that era would also apply to earlier periods:

            http://www.geocities.com/medievalnovgorod/

            And my own webpage includes a lot of information about Early Rus (including references). I hope you've looked at it already, but just in case:

            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/

            And Russian clothing in _every_ period can be quite practical. According to Rabinovich, even a Muscovite nobleman could wear his upper rubakha around home. It was the more formal, ceremonial occasions that required a greater excess. A certain G. Kotoshkin recorded that ambassadors would travel along the streets in odnoryadki, and then as they were to go in to see the tsar, they would take off the odnoryadki and put on the more formal shuby.

            I hope this helps,

            Sofya
            (And now I'm off to pack for the Knowne World Costuming Symposium!)

            Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
            "Si no necare, sana."

          • Tracy Kremer
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006
              Thank you _SO_ much, lady Sofya!!
              This is indeed good source material; the first two are
              very interesting, at least to me, and the third link
              is _extremely_ useful; I have yet to make it to your
              site, which I expect (as you are a costumer) will also
              be a wonderful source!
              Enjoy the Symposium; I've never been, but as one
              helping to run various SCA events and CostumeCon when
              it was nearby, I expect it will be wonderful!!

              Dzieki!

              Eluned Zedik
              --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

              > >Sorry, I don't read Italian either. I am able to
              > read Spanish and
              > French, and just began teaching myself Russian, but
              > I am researching
              > Novgorod. Maybe someone can suggest an English
              > resource?
              > >

              > Well, you still haven't told us exactly what period
              > you are looking at. Pagan Rus (before conversion)?
              > Kievan Rus (before Mongol conquest)?
              >
              > There's usually some brief information on very early
              > Rus history in standard Russian history texts. I've
              > found a couple of brief on-line English summaries of
              > "Slavs in Antiquity" and "Slavs in the Early Middle
              > Ages" although I have not read them carefully yet:

              http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs.html

              http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs_2.html

              > I'm assuming you've seen "Life in 13th Century
              > Novgorod". A lot of that era would also apply to
              > earlier periods:
              >
              > http://www.geocities.com/medievalnovgorod/
              >
              > And my own webpage includes a lot of information
              > about Early Rus (including references). I hope
              > you've looked at it already, but just in case:
              >
              > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/
              >
              > And Russian clothing in _every_ period can be quite
              > practical. According to Rabinovich, even a
              > Muscovite nobleman could wear his upper rubakha
              > around home. It was the more formal, ceremonial
              > occasions that required a greater excess. A certain
              > G. Kotoshkin recorded that ambassadors would travel
              > along the streets in odnoryadki, and then as they
              > were to go in to see the tsar, they would take off
              > the odnoryadki and put on the more formal shuby.
              >
              > I hope this helps,
              >
              > Sofya
              > (And now I'm off to pack for the Knowne World
              > Costuming Symposium!)

              > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
              > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
              > "Si no necare, sana."

              > removed]

              CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

              http://new.mail.yahoo.com
            • Tracy Kremer
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006
                Milady, your site is indeed wonderful!
                --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

                > >Sorry, I don't read Italian either. I am able to
                > read Spanish and
                > French, and just began teaching myself Russian, but
                > I am researching
                > Novgorod. Maybe someone can suggest an English
                > resource?
                > >

                > Well, you still haven't told us exactly what period
                > you are looking at. Pagan Rus (before conversion)?
                > Kievan Rus (before Mongol conquest)?
                >
                > There's usually some brief information on very early
                > Rus history in standard Russian history texts. I've
                > found a couple of brief on-line English summaries of
                > "Slavs in Antiquity" and "Slavs in the Early Middle
                > Ages" although I have not read them carefully yet:

                http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs.html

                http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs_2.html

                > I'm assuming you've seen "Life in 13th Century
                > Novgorod". A lot of that era would also apply to
                > earlier periods:
                >
                > http://www.geocities.com/medievalnovgorod/
                >
                > And my own webpage includes a lot of information
                > about Early Rus (including references). I hope
                > you've looked at it already, but just in case:
                >
                > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/
                >
                > And Russian clothing in _every_ period can be quite
                > practical. According to Rabinovich, even a
                > Muscovite nobleman could wear his upper rubakha
                > around home. It was the more formal, ceremonial
                > occasions that required a greater excess. A certain
                > G. Kotoshkin recorded that ambassadors would travel
                > along the streets in odnoryadki, and then as they
                > were to go in to see the tsar, they would take off
                > the odnoryadki and put on the more formal shuby.
                >
                > I hope this helps,
                >
                > Sofya
                > (And now I'm off to pack for the Knowne World
                > Costuming Symposium!)

                > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
                > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                > "Si no necare, sana."

                > removed]

                CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                Cheap talk?
                http://voice.yahoo.com
              • Tracy Kremer
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006
                  The offer is appreciated, but I must decline. I'm
                  afraid I can only pick out bits of Italian, and some
                  of that I may well get wrong. Reading more than
                  simple Italian with any comprehension is beyond me!

                  Sincerely,
                  Dama Eluned

                  --- aldo <turanomar@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Baryshnya Eluned, I have also a shorter article
                  > on the Arrival of the Slavs in the Russian Plain in
                  > Italian which I may send u if you like. It takes you
                  > back into the VI-VII century when the Slavs tried to
                  > settle in the largest marshes of the world: the
                  > PRIPYAT BASIN (larger than the Everglades), how they
                  > wnet along the norther borders of these marshes and
                  > entered finally into Polotsk and Novgorod areas
                  > where they met with Finns and Balts. Before this
                  > date nothing is known! I tried to translate it into
                  > English but the translation was so ridiculous that I
                  > gave up. I sent it over to Goldschmidt. U may ask
                  > him or, once again, ask me to send it over to u in
                  > Italian.
                  > Ciao
                  >
                  > Aldo

                  === message truncated ===

                  CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                  Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                  Access over 1 million songs.
                  http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
                • Rick Orli
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 27, 2006
                    Funny, that's why I took Russian, at U.South Carolina - no Polish
                    offered in that part of the country. Glad I did... Also glad I was
                    able to switch it to a 'pass/fail' class, language is a TON of work.
                    Speaking of not doing enough homework, I'm finally taking that Polish
                    grammer class now, couple of decades later.
                    Also, helped me appreciate the plight of even smaller languages and
                    national and cultural traditions that get swamped by larger nations.
                    -Rick
                    --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Albina Gherardi" <dagperez@...> wrote:

                    > Yes, Eluned, Polish is difficult to find classes for. Don't know
                    > why. UNC-CH I know used to teach it, but even I don't want to
                    travel
                    > that far for 1 class. So, I resigned myself to Russian as well.

                    > Albina

                  • Tracy Kremer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                      --- Rick Orli <orlirva@...> wrote:

                      > Funny, that's why I took Russian, at U.South
                      > Carolina - ....

                      ... I'm finally
                      > taking that Polish
                      > grammer class now, couple of decades later.

                      So, where are you taking it? Not much chance it's
                      anywhere near me, and I'm swamped with medical
                      education right now, but....