Re: [sig] Intro and howdy!

  • aldo
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 23, 2006
      Dear Tracy, I may take you to my pages in Italian if you just digit my full name and search me via Google

      ALDO C. MARTURANO

      or I just invite u to visit the pages MEDIOEVO RUSSO in the site www.mondimedievali.net

      u will find there a lot of material written in an easy way.
      Ciao

      Aldo
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 23, 2006
        Gracias!
        Or, I think for you it would be "Grazi", yes?

        I'm afraid Italian is hard for me to work out, so I
        will try the Medioevo Russo...

        Eluned Zedik
        --- aldo <turanomar@...> wrote:

        > Dear Tracy, I may take you to my pages in Italian if
        > you just digit my full name and search me via Google
        >
        > ALDO C. MARTURANO
        >
        > or I just invite u to visit the pages MEDIOEVO RUSSO
        > in the site www.mondimedievali.net
        >
        > u will find there a lot of material written in an
        > easy way.
        > Ciao
        >
        > Aldo

        Sponsored Link

        Rates near 39yr lows. $420,000 Loan for $1399/mo.
        Calcuate new payment. www.LowerMyBills.com/lre
      • Tracy Kremer
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 23, 2006
          Yep, it is as I feared; Italian is _so_ much harder
          than Spanish (for me). I may be able to use your
          Chronology, but it starts a little later than I was
          interested. This is becasue I was planning to operate
          on the principle that while the center of things in
          medieval times was more advanced than in the early
          times, the folks in the country and outlying areas
          would hold to some of the older ways. The earlier garb
          is usually more practical for basic day-to-day SCA
          activities; the more elaborate, later, garb and
          persona development can come later when my persona is
          well started and when I have more time to make the
          elaborate stuff.
          Thank you for the offer of information, milord; I only
          regret that I cannot make out italian well enough to
          make use of it.

          Sincerely,

          Yahoo! Music Unlimited
          Access over 1 million songs.
          http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
        • aldo
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 23, 2006
            Dear Baryshnya Eluned, I have also a shorter article on the Arrival of the Slavs in the Russian Plain in Italian which I may send u if you like. It takes you back into the VI-VII century when the Slavs tried to settle in the largest marshes of the world: the PRIPYAT BASIN (larger than the Everglades), how they wnet along the norther borders of these marshes and entered finally into Polotsk and Novgorod areas where they met with Finns and Balts. Before this date nothing is known! I tried to translate it into English but the translation was so ridiculous that I gave up. I sent it over to Goldschmidt. U may ask him or, once again, ask me to send it over to u in Italian.
            Ciao

            Aldo

            --- aldo <turanomar@...> wrote:

            > Dear Tracy, I may take you to my pages in Italian if
            > you just digit my full name and search me via Google
            >
            > ALDO C. MARTURANO
            >
            > or I just invite u to visit the pages MEDIOEVO RUSSO
            > in the site www.mondimedievali.net
            >
            > u will find there a lot of material written in an
            > easy way.
            > Ciao
            >
            > Aldo

          • Albina Gherardi
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006
              Sorry, I don't read Italian either. I am able to read Spanish and
              French, and just began teaching myself Russian, but I am researching
              Novgorod. Maybe someone can suggest an English resource?

              Thanks!

              Albina
            • Albina Gherardi
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006
                Yes, Eluned, Polish is difficult to find classes for. Don't know
                why. UNC-CH I know used to teach it, but even I don't want to travel
                that far for 1 class. So, I resigned myself to Russian as well.

                More later, I need to clean up after yesterday!

                Albina
              • L.M. Kies
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006

                  >Sorry, I don't read Italian either. I am able to read Spanish and
                  French, and just began teaching myself Russian, but I am researching
                  Novgorod. Maybe someone can suggest an English resource?

                  Well, you still haven't told us exactly what period you are looking at. Pagan Rus (before conversion)? Kievan Rus (before Mongol conquest)?

                  There's usually some brief information on very early Rus history in standard Russian history texts. I've found a couple of brief on-line English summaries of "Slavs in Antiquity" and "Slavs in the Early Middle Ages" although I have not read them carefully yet:

                  http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs.html
                  http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs_2.html

                  I'm assuming you've seen "Life in 13th Century Novgorod". A lot of that era would also apply to earlier periods:

                  http://www.geocities.com/medievalnovgorod/

                  And my own webpage includes a lot of information about Early Rus (including references). I hope you've looked at it already, but just in case:

                  http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/

                  And Russian clothing in _every_ period can be quite practical. According to Rabinovich, even a Muscovite nobleman could wear his upper rubakha around home. It was the more formal, ceremonial occasions that required a greater excess. A certain G. Kotoshkin recorded that ambassadors would travel along the streets in odnoryadki, and then as they were to go in to see the tsar, they would take off the odnoryadki and put on the more formal shuby.

                  I hope this helps,

                  Sofya
                  (And now I'm off to pack for the Knowne World Costuming Symposium!)

                  Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
                  http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                  "Si no necare, sana."

                • Tracy Kremer
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006
                    Thank you _SO_ much, lady Sofya!!
                    This is indeed good source material; the first two are
                    very interesting, at least to me, and the third link
                    is _extremely_ useful; I have yet to make it to your
                    site, which I expect (as you are a costumer) will also
                    be a wonderful source!
                    Enjoy the Symposium; I've never been, but as one
                    helping to run various SCA events and CostumeCon when
                    it was nearby, I expect it will be wonderful!!

                    Dzieki!

                    Eluned Zedik
                    --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

                    > >Sorry, I don't read Italian either. I am able to
                    > read Spanish and
                    > French, and just began teaching myself Russian, but
                    > I am researching
                    > Novgorod. Maybe someone can suggest an English
                    > resource?
                    > >

                    > Well, you still haven't told us exactly what period
                    > you are looking at. Pagan Rus (before conversion)?
                    > Kievan Rus (before Mongol conquest)?
                    >
                    > There's usually some brief information on very early
                    > Rus history in standard Russian history texts. I've
                    > found a couple of brief on-line English summaries of
                    > "Slavs in Antiquity" and "Slavs in the Early Middle
                    > Ages" although I have not read them carefully yet:

                    http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs.html

                    http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs_2.html

                    > I'm assuming you've seen "Life in 13th Century
                    > Novgorod". A lot of that era would also apply to
                    > earlier periods:
                    >
                    > http://www.geocities.com/medievalnovgorod/
                    >
                    > And my own webpage includes a lot of information
                    > about Early Rus (including references). I hope
                    > you've looked at it already, but just in case:
                    >
                    > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/
                    >
                    > And Russian clothing in _every_ period can be quite
                    > practical. According to Rabinovich, even a
                    > Muscovite nobleman could wear his upper rubakha
                    > around home. It was the more formal, ceremonial
                    > occasions that required a greater excess. A certain
                    > G. Kotoshkin recorded that ambassadors would travel
                    > along the streets in odnoryadki, and then as they
                    > were to go in to see the tsar, they would take off
                    > the odnoryadki and put on the more formal shuby.
                    >
                    > I hope this helps,
                    >
                    > Sofya
                    > (And now I'm off to pack for the Knowne World
                    > Costuming Symposium!)

                    > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
                    > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                    > "Si no necare, sana."

                    > removed]

                    CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                    http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                  • Tracy Kremer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006
                      Milady, your site is indeed wonderful!
                      --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

                      > >Sorry, I don't read Italian either. I am able to
                      > read Spanish and
                      > French, and just began teaching myself Russian, but
                      > I am researching
                      > Novgorod. Maybe someone can suggest an English
                      > resource?
                      > >

                      > Well, you still haven't told us exactly what period
                      > you are looking at. Pagan Rus (before conversion)?
                      > Kievan Rus (before Mongol conquest)?
                      >
                      > There's usually some brief information on very early
                      > Rus history in standard Russian history texts. I've
                      > found a couple of brief on-line English summaries of
                      > "Slavs in Antiquity" and "Slavs in the Early Middle
                      > Ages" although I have not read them carefully yet:

                      http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs.html

                      http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs_2.html

                      > I'm assuming you've seen "Life in 13th Century
                      > Novgorod". A lot of that era would also apply to
                      > earlier periods:
                      >
                      > http://www.geocities.com/medievalnovgorod/
                      >
                      > And my own webpage includes a lot of information
                      > about Early Rus (including references). I hope
                      > you've looked at it already, but just in case:
                      >
                      > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/
                      >
                      > And Russian clothing in _every_ period can be quite
                      > practical. According to Rabinovich, even a
                      > Muscovite nobleman could wear his upper rubakha
                      > around home. It was the more formal, ceremonial
                      > occasions that required a greater excess. A certain
                      > G. Kotoshkin recorded that ambassadors would travel
                      > along the streets in odnoryadki, and then as they
                      > were to go in to see the tsar, they would take off
                      > the odnoryadki and put on the more formal shuby.
                      >
                      > I hope this helps,
                      >
                      > Sofya
                      > (And now I'm off to pack for the Knowne World
                      > Costuming Symposium!)

                      > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
                      > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                      > "Si no necare, sana."

                      > removed]

                      CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                      Cheap talk?
                      http://voice.yahoo.com
                    • Tracy Kremer
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006
                        The offer is appreciated, but I must decline. I'm
                        afraid I can only pick out bits of Italian, and some
                        of that I may well get wrong. Reading more than
                        simple Italian with any comprehension is beyond me!

                        Sincerely,
                        Dama Eluned

                        --- aldo <turanomar@...> wrote:

                        > Dear Baryshnya Eluned, I have also a shorter article
                        > on the Arrival of the Slavs in the Russian Plain in
                        > Italian which I may send u if you like. It takes you
                        > back into the VI-VII century when the Slavs tried to
                        > settle in the largest marshes of the world: the
                        > PRIPYAT BASIN (larger than the Everglades), how they
                        > wnet along the norther borders of these marshes and
                        > entered finally into Polotsk and Novgorod areas
                        > where they met with Finns and Balts. Before this
                        > date nothing is known! I tried to translate it into
                        > English but the translation was so ridiculous that I
                        > gave up. I sent it over to Goldschmidt. U may ask
                        > him or, once again, ask me to send it over to u in
                        > Italian.
                        > Ciao
                        >
                        > Aldo

                        === message truncated ===

                        CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                        Access over 1 million songs.
                        http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
                      • Rick Orli
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 27, 2006
                          Funny, that's why I took Russian, at U.South Carolina - no Polish
                          offered in that part of the country. Glad I did... Also glad I was
                          able to switch it to a 'pass/fail' class, language is a TON of work.
                          Speaking of not doing enough homework, I'm finally taking that Polish
                          grammer class now, couple of decades later.
                          Also, helped me appreciate the plight of even smaller languages and
                          national and cultural traditions that get swamped by larger nations.
                          -Rick
                          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Albina Gherardi" <dagperez@...> wrote:

                          > Yes, Eluned, Polish is difficult to find classes for. Don't know
                          > why. UNC-CH I know used to teach it, but even I don't want to
                          travel
                          > that far for 1 class. So, I resigned myself to Russian as well.

                          > Albina

                        • Tracy Kremer
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                            --- Rick Orli <orlirva@...> wrote:

                            > Funny, that's why I took Russian, at U.South
                            > Carolina - ....

                            ... I'm finally
                            > taking that Polish
                            > grammer class now, couple of decades later.

                            So, where are you taking it? Not much chance it's
                            anywhere near me, and I'm swamped with medical
                            education right now, but....