Re: [SIG] Polish garb for men Q

  • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 23, 2006
      Hiya Kathews!

      Underclothes are *notoriously* tough to track down, since no one really
      wanted to talk about them (unless they were made from expensive fabric) in
      diaries or in *Silver Rerum*, the probate recordings of estates. My
      specialty is the time of the Rzeczpospolita (Commonwealth); however, I
      beieve thatt Men would wear 'typical' types of underclothes (braies and so
      forth) in the late Middle Ages. In the the time of the COmmonwealth,
      starting in the early 1500's, more is known about these items. Men could
      wear underclothes based more on regional preferences (e.g., Ukrainian kurta
      or chumak). So if the persona in question is from the 'older' parts of
      Poland that had longer contact with Europe, you could pick German or other
      'Western European' types of underclothes; while if from the Ukraine
      (frontier) regions, Ukrainian or even Turkish types could be chosen.

      I hope that helped!

      --
      Czesc Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
      Middle Kingdom, Pentamere, Shire of Talonval

    • Terrance Hanley
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 23, 2006
        Any information that can be offered on this topic would be appreciated.

      • Lente
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 24, 2006
          Hi ,

          Hmm, looked at stuff from your site ( http://www.plcommonwealth.org/ )
          and its giving me ideas for the undertunic and pants. Have to dig out my
          Max Tilke book to see better pictures of the pants you have images of.
          This could work and would definitely fit within his comfort level for
          garb. When I get it made (most likely after Estrella War) I'll take
          pictures of what I made and post them, and as soon as I can get pictures
          of him wearing the outfit I will and post that. I'm going to keep my
          eyes open for a nice fabric that would complement it too so I can make
          his lady a polish style outfit too. The Mongol outfits for him and his
          lady have to be done before Estrella so I don't know if I can get a
          second outfit done by then. The Mongol outfits are a tithe thing my
          husband and I want to do; especially after his remark about my husband's
          mongol coat fuffy skirts and not getting him in a set, well it now just
          has to be done. I mean as his squire's lady it is right and proper that
          we as a couple tithe them a set of clothing. ;o>

          yes it is a odd squire/knight relationship.

          off to do some work on a italian renn dress for a friend for midwinter.
          Kathws

          Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski wrote:
          > Hiya Kathews!
          >
          > Underclothes are *notoriously* tough to track down, since no one really
          > wanted to talk about them (unless they were made from expensive fabric) in
          > diaries or in *Silver Rerum*, the probate recordings of estates. My
          > specialty is the time of the Rzeczpospolita (Commonwealth); however, I
          > beieve thatt Men would wear 'typical' types of underclothes (braies and so
          > forth) in the late Middle Ages. In the the time of the COmmonwealth,
          > starting in the early 1500's, more is known about these items. Men could
          > wear underclothes based more on regional preferences (e.g., Ukrainian kurta
          > or chumak). So if the persona in question is from the 'older' parts of
          > Poland that had longer contact with Europe, you could pick German or other
          > 'Western European' types of underclothes; while if from the Ukraine
          > (frontier) regions, Ukrainian or even Turkish types could be chosen.
          >
          > I hope that helped!

        • Tracy Kremer
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 26, 2006
            follow some of the links that I re-posted on the
            thread "some polish links..." down the right trail and
            I think you might find some.

            Eluned

            --- Terrance Hanley <mplsoddjobs@...> wrote:

            > Any information that can be offered on this topic
            > would be appreciated.

            > removed]

            CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

            Yahoo! Music Unlimited
            Access over 1 million songs.
            http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
          • Rick Orli